• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Gamesmanship?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or just being an asshole?

I'm guilty of a bit of both at one time or another I suppose, but have never intently done this.

But...here you go...player is setting up to hit a tee ball, but the ball is outside of the tee makers and as a playing companion you notice this but don't say anything until the player hit...then you charge him with playing from outside the tee box.

Your thoughts?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let him know his mistake but only penalize if you are playing for the rights to buy Bushwood.

lol...It's a 100% oversight on the player (in this case me), but I wouldn't intently watch a player do that without saying something before they hit. I accepted the 2 shot penalty and replayed the shot per rule, but was really ticked...the ball hadn't even landed and he's telling me to "look where I hit from"...not a big deal in the final tally...I lost that hole, but still whipped his ass.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was a dick move on his part. Lining up a few inches ahead of the blocks gains NO advantage whatsoever so I wouldn't even call it.

My peeve is taking proper drops which nearly all golfers don't.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it was piss poor as well, but just wanted to see a few unbiased opinions. I want to beat you, but not with rules and penalty strokes that could've been avoided.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a dick move on his part. The only way he could have been even douchier is if he waited till the end of the round to call the penalty.

I have a funny one happen years ago in my old league. Now, if you're going to call a penalty on an opponent, you should call it right away. I was playing this cantankerous old fart one time. He had a cart and so he kept the card. While reviewing the card post round, I discovered that he had erroneously given me a score one stroke higher on one of the holes. I approached him, clarified the correct score and let him know I was correcting it. No big deal.

The next year, we're about to tee off and the old codger snaps at me. "If there's anything wrong you have to call it right away and not wait till the end like last year." I didn't recall what he was talking about at first...then I was like, hey blow it out your ass old man. How was I supposed to know that you fucked up the score? I don't walk over and check each score recorded for each hole all night.

Douche.

I'm sure I kicked his ass again while he scowled away~

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're playing for money.....rules is the rules.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're playing for money.....rules is the rules.

We were and I take full ownership of the mistake...the issue here imo was lack of sportsmanship...if he didn't see until after I played it's altogether different, but he clearly did see it and admits he saw it before I hit.

Something similar would be if you and I were on the green and you had to move your mark off my line. I notice that you didn't return your mark to it's original position, but wait for you to putt before saying something.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was also zero advantage.

Money or not, ubber douche award goes to Steeler's opponent.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was also zero advantage.

Money or not, ubber douche award goes to Steeler's opponent.

Agree...the wager is NOT big, more symbolic than anything actually.

I play probably 50% of my rounds with this guy and I beat him fairly regularly, but he does beat me sometimes...he said he felt like needed every stroke he could get at the time, but now sees that he was over the top.

Your guy...since he was keeping score, I assume you call out your score after every hole. What more could you do aside from look at the card after every hole?

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I play probably 50% of my rounds with this guy and I beat him fairly regularly, but he does beat me sometimes...he said he felt like needed every stroke he could get at the time, but now sees that he was over the top.

Your guy...since he was keeping score, I assume you call out your score after every hole. What more could you do aside from look at the card after every hole?

The guy is a douche.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exactly. My partner's Mr. Congeniality and started to apologize to him til I cut in with a go-F-yourself old man. You learn a lot about a man on a golf course!

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Douchey move imo. I wouldn't play for money against someone that determined to win (it also tells me they're worried they can't beat me properly). I play golf to have fun and relax. While competition is fun, if I wanted anal retentive observance to the rules I'd enter a proper tournament. Now if you're using the boot wedge I might speak up.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Game for fun? I wouldn't say a thing, play on.

Game for money or something, would say something before ball was hit...evidence is key w/ no replay abilities available other than MAYBE a tee in the ground or divit.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Game for fun? I wouldn't say a thing, play on.

Game for money or something, would say something before ball was hit...evidence is key w/ no replay abilities available other than MAYBE a tee in the ground or divit.

Call me naive, but that seems the honorable thing to do...yea, it was a par 3, 8i so the divot was fresh. He called it on me so fast...seriously, the ball was still in the air.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Call me naive, but that seems the honorable thing to do...yea, it was a par 3, 8i so the divot was fresh. He called it on me so fast...seriously, the ball was still in the air.

The mental anguish that followed AFTER the callout must have been brutal...golf's always about the mental side I believe. Once inside an opponents head ya have won half the match.

Paybacks are a bitch...look for your window next time you play.:lol:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The mental anguish that followed AFTER the callout must have been brutal...golf's always about the mental side I believe. Once inside an opponents head ya have won half the match.

Paybacks are a bitch...look for your window next time you play.:lol:
They are...he won that hole, but I still won the match.

This was my best friend/golf buddy...yes, I was still pissed...but more at myself than him actually. I just thought it was a bush move the way it happened. That was on the 13th hole I think, I was over it by the next tee box.

J_E_T_S

Rihanna >>> Emma
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or just being an asshole?

I'm guilty of a bit of both at one time or another I suppose, but have never intently done this.

But...here you go...player is setting up to hit a tee ball, but the ball is outside of the tee makers and as a playing companion you notice this but don't say anything until the player hit...then you charge him with playing from outside the tee box.

Your thoughts?

Just being an a-hole.

I'd make you aware you did it but not penalize you if i noticed after it was too late. If I see it before you approach the ball, i'd make you aware of it but in a joking way. If you did it a 2nd time.....i'd call the penalty.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just being an a-hole.

I'd make you aware you did it but not penalize you if i noticed after it was too late. If I see it before you approach the ball, i'd make you aware of it but in a joking way. If you did it a 2nd time.....i'd call the penalty.

That's been the consensus opinion here anyway...he's since apologized.

RaiderZar

Absentem laedit cum ebrio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would find someone else to play golf with. A good friendship is worth a lot more than whatever bet you made (unless it was for Bushwood). Soon, that douche will have no one to golf with.