• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Game Thread: Conference championships: Jan. 29

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How fucking greedy can the nfl go....

Rumors are the owners were looking forward to this years CG between the Chiefs and Bills to test the waters on this. I'm glad Burrow and co. made them send out the refunds. Supposedly, a few owners want that "college bowl game" bullshit and yeah, it's about greed and nothing more. The truth is about half the fans wouldn't even be real fans but corporations and celebs so the league can charge huge amounts for tickets and make even more money.
Imo, it would make all the hard work these guys do in the regular season virtually meaningless. The bye week is all well and good but HFA is the big prize for finishing first and a lower seed should have to walk through that crucible to win. It's just a rip-off for real fans and the folks that buy season tickets year after year to see their team.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
burrow is 3-0 vs mahomie might want to use another stat:suds:
I had no idea. First time I've heard that.

New stat: Mahomes averages 37 points a game against the Niners

Last edited:

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumors are the owners were looking forward to this years CG between the Chiefs and Bills to test the waters on this. I'm glad Burrow and co. made them send out the refunds. Supposedly, a few owners want that "college bowl game" bullshit and yeah, it's about greed and nothing more. The truth is about half the fans wouldn't even be real fans but corporations and celebs so the league can charge huge amounts for tickets and make even more money.
Imo, it would make all the hard work these guys do in the regular season virtually meaningless. The bye week is all well and good but HFA is the big prize for finishing first and a lower seed should have to walk through that crucible to win. It's just a rip-off for real fans and the folks that buy season tickets year after year to see their team.
Anyone who has actually been to a bowl/neutral site game versus an Conference Championship know which is the more memorable/better experience.

We don't need the AFC Championship in Atlanta or Dallas every year. Fuck that shit.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No defense in the AFC.
After seeing what the Chiefs and Raiders did to the Niners defense, I'm not fully sure the NFC wants to play the 'defense' card

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After seeing what the Chiefs and Raiders did to the Niners defense, I'm not fully sure the NFC wants to play the 'defense' card
Yeah, I think it’s a reasonable take to focus on the Niners and Eagles defenses being very good. At the same time, you can make that argument while also granting that the Chiefs and Bengals defenses can play football too. Truth be told though, I like your squads pass rush but I think it’s leaky in other areas. I think they’re built to play football complimentary to their offense. Chiefs offense is elite and can score most times they touch the ball. The defense just has to get 3-4 stops and they can win. They’re built to have their offense get out to a lead and then the pass rush can pin their ears back and rush the passer. I think the Chiefs secondary and run D is kind of spotty from watching it.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I think it’s a reasonable take to focus on the Niners and Eagles defenses being very good. At the same time, you can make that argument while also granting that the Chiefs and Bengals defenses can play football too. Truth be told though, I like your squads pass rush but I think it’s leaky in other areas. I think they’re built to play football complimentary to their offense. Chiefs offense is elite and can score most times they touch the ball. The defense just has to get 3-4 stops and they can win. They’re built to have their offense get out to a lead and then the pass rush can pin their ears back and rush the passer. I think the Chiefs secondary and run D is kind of spotty from watching it.
Chiefs D is definitely a bit young and inexperienced.

Excited for their future, but they definitely can be had right now.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People bitch about baseball being too slow moving or boring or whatever. But this is what I hate about football playoffs. The painful week in between games where everyone has to have a take and break down individual matchups that no one would ever give a fuck about in a regular season game. And the 2 weeks leading up to the super bowl. Absolutely brutal. At least in baseball the playoffs are pretty much every day. They need to just play out the season on a secret island and release it all at one time so I can binge watch it.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If what Mahomes has really is a high ankle sprain I don't see KC winning this game. They are no joke and they do not heal in a week.. it will catch up to him. The clock's about to strike midnight in Philly for SF's Cinderella story.. it's pumpkin time for Purdy. My 2 hot takes ftr. I hope we have a couple of great ones because, as others have posted, these are undoubtedly the 4 best teams.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People bitch about baseball being too slow moving or boring or whatever. But this is what I hate about football playoffs. The painful week in between games where everyone has to have a take and break down individual matchups that no one would ever give a fuck about in a regular season game. And the 2 weeks leading up to the super bowl. Absolutely brutal. At least in baseball the playoffs are pretty much every day. They need to just play out the season on a secret island and release it all at one time so I can binge watch it.
Agree on the Super Bowl 2 week but disagree with the rest. The anticipation and the ramp up is fun as shit.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree on the Super Bowl 2 week but disagree with the rest. The anticipation and the ramp up is fun as shit.
The extra week before the Super Bowl is easily my least favorite schedule change. It completely kills the momentum of the playoffs and makes sure the general public is sick of talking heads slobbering over both teams.

As far as the defenses go, I think the Chiefs have a lot of good complementary pieces but only one star (Jones) and if anyone gets hurt then they have no bench at all except at Edge. Teams do take Jones away in the playoffs but usually Clark steps up. When everything is in place I think the Chiefs d is average and that's usually good enough.

Niners trenches are amazing. The secondary is probably the most suspect of the four remaining teams.

Eagles and Bengals seem to just have playmakers that get it done in clutch moments. Bengals d in particular matches up well with finesse teams and poorly with power teams. Niners might be able to run on the Eagles but I'm not sure how many mistakes the Eagles will force. Purdy is impressive but still limited

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If what Mahomes has really is a high ankle sprain I don't see KC winning this game. They are no joke and they do not heal in a week.. it will catch up to him. The clock's about to strike midnight in Philly for SF's Cinderella story.. it's pumpkin time for Purdy. My 2 hot takes ftr. I hope we have a couple of great ones because, as others have posted, these are undoubtedly the 4 best teams.
I'd imagine if Mahomes is hurt by the ankle then yeah, it's probably over before it even starts.

Both Mahomes and Burrow have made the AFCCG every season after their rookie year. It's hard to see either team advancing with either one banged up