• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game of Thrones

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time for my weekly, I don't get it post. The show mentions, yet again, that Hudor is 1/2 giant. Having seen Wun Wun now, it begs the question... How do you get a 1/2 giant? Who's mating with who in this venture to procreate a 1/2 giant? Certain things are just not going to work...

I think they just say that because he's freakishly large and not because he literally is 1/2 giant.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time for my weekly, I don't get it post. The show mentions, yet again, that Hudor is 1/2 giant. Having seen Wun Wun now, it begs the question... How do you get a 1/2 giant? Who's mating with who in this venture to procreate a 1/2 giant? Certain things are just not going to work...
If you stuck around to watch Silicon Valley, they addressed this issue...

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I subscribe to the theory that book Daario is not really on Dany's side, and he just wants a dragon or something. I read a lot of those theories too (Euron=Daario), they are entertaining to think about, that's for sure. But no.

FWIW, it seems like the show has taken Daario in a completely different direction. I mean, it starts with the looks. But his motives too. It would be a COMPLETE U-turn if Daario betrayed Dany at this point. He's shown too much affection. In the books, he's still this wildly mysterious, lustful, killer. You don't really see him too much unless he fucking Dany. In the show, he just seems like a younger Jorah, or an attractive Bronn.

I could see Daario turning on Jorah, or vice-versa, but I don't think either will turn on Dany.

As for the Harpy, I thought it was either Hizdar or the Green Grace. Well, Hizdar is now dead in the show and the Green Grace doesn't exist in the show, so IDK. But the Harpy seem to be doing pretty well without their leader if it was Daario (burned the fleet), which again makes me doubt he's up to anything.

The Harpy could be someone from Qarth, both in the show and books.

The burning of the ships is what made me start thinking it could be Euron. That plus I think it was revealed last night that he had been away from the Iron Islands for a long time. In the books it was mentioned that he would often travel to Essos which has a lot to do with where the Euron=Daario theories come from. It wouldn't surprise me if he discovered you can reach the most eastern parts of Essos if you travel west from the Iron Islands, basically discovering that their world is round.

Of course the burning of the ships would be the Harpy's only move that would have a clear motive if it was Euron. He'd have lots of ships so he-d have something Daenerys needs to get her army to Westeros. It's not entirely clear why he would have commanded attacks on the Unsullied, then at the Fighting Pits have them attack random former slaves and former masters.

I also think there might be a slim chance to that Hizdar zo Loraq staged his death and is in fact the Harpy. I didn't find his death scene entirely convincing, or very meaningful. We were really just getting to know him on the show too.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jon Snow WAS the 998th Lord Captain Commander of the Nights Watch. Was. The oath he took was that his watch ended at his death.

He was always the most like Ned Stark, always would have been the best heir. He tried to shuck his duty and his oath once he heard about Robb, but changed his mind mostly due to honor and upholding his oath.

Tower of Joy is obviously upcoming, which we all expect to have huge ramifications.

I believe Allisair Thorne already forced through his confirmation as 999th LCC, but I didn't pay close enough attention for sure.

So do people think Jon Snow retakes his oath goes back to become the 1000th LCC? Or does he take his leave of the Nights Watch? Or does he retake his LCC title without retaking the oath, and uses that as some sort of dues ex machina for a happy ending that we weren't supposed to see coming?

I think Jon will leave the Wall with the Wildlings, Davos, and Melissandre. He'll probably suggest that Dolorous Ed be the next Lord Commander but they'll have to have a vote. It may also take a while like last time. They don't even have a Maester to help organize it. I think Thorne was put in a cell so Ed will likely be the acting Lord Commander until they can make it official. But I expect the Wall to come down one way or another before Maester Samwell returns and before a new Lord Commander is chosen.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be so effective with dragons, perhaps Tyrion has Targaryen blood... sure, his mother Joanna Lannister died during his birth, but his father might not have been Tywin Lannister, but rather the Mad King:

13095748_10206772234886115_5237971289130733221_n.jpg

Cut & paste from the Game of Thrones Wiki:

According to Barristan Selmy, the Mad King lusted after Joanna. At the wedding of Tywin and Joanna, Aerys drunkenly japed about how it was a pity the First Night tradition was banned and took too many liberties during Joanna's bedding. Tywin was not amused, and that caused further friction between him and Aerys.

Joanna Lannister

Perhaps the Mad King eventually did impregnate Joanna Lannister.... with Tyrion being the result of this coupling? Again... Tyrion seems pretty darn good at managing/dealing with dragons.

And speaking of parentage.... look at this preview of episode 3 (especially at the 22 second mark) .... apparently Bran Stark has another family history flashback, and this time it's a flashback scene of young Ned Stark attempting to rescue his sister Lyanna Stark from Rhaegar Targaryen's Tower of Joy. Will this flashback scene include Lyanna Stark giving birth to a baby Targaryen (Jon Snow)?
Game Of Thrones Episode 3 Preview: Tower Of Joy Confirmed - The Grumpy Fish

Hmmmm?

Last edited:

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.....continued from previous post

Remember... next weeks episode (#3) is being broadcast on Mother's Day!

KnuteRoc

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I subscribe to the theory that book Daario is not really on Dany's side, and he just wants a dragon or something. I read a lot of those theories too (Euron=Daario), they are entertaining to think about, that's for sure. But no.

FWIW, it seems like the show has taken Daario in a completely different direction. I mean, it starts with the looks. But his motives too. It would be a COMPLETE U-turn if Daario betrayed Dany at this point. He's shown too much affection. In the books, he's still this wildly mysterious, lustful, killer. You don't really see him too much unless he fucking Dany. In the show, he just seems like a younger Jorah, or an attractive Bronn.

I could see Daario turning on Jorah, or vice-versa, but I don't think either will turn on Dany.

As for the Harpy, I thought it was either Hizdar or the Green Grace. Well, Hizdar is now dead in the show and the Green Grace doesn't exist in the show, so IDK. But the Harpy seem to be doing pretty well without their leader if it was Daario (burned the fleet), which again makes me doubt he's up to anything.

The Harpy could be someone from Qarth, both in the show and books.

The Green Grace hasn't been formally introduced in the show but in the first two shown attacks by the sons, they show an apparent whore giving solace to unsullied right before the one gets his throat slit and the other killed in the attack that Ser Grandfather happened on leading to his death. She is the Harpy in my view, and I believe the Green Grace is also the Harpy in the books as well.

KnuteRoc

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I took it as she's climbing into bed waiting for death. I think her necklace not only keeps her young, but is keeping her alive. But she's all shook up from how things turned out with Stannis that she's seriously questioning her faith to the Lord of Light and/or her own abilities. So she sees no point in living, takes off the necklace revealing her true self, and just climbs into bed waiting for it to be over. She looked like 300 years old, probably won't last too long without it

It is a crisis of faith, but her necklace and more precisely the ruby within it is the source for her glamour. The show butchered continuity from her bathtub scene with Selyse where she didn't have the necklace on, or we're supposed to believe that Selyse at that point was such a believer she saw what she wanted to see despite the necklace not being worn. The show has done poorly in terms of making it understandable for non-book readers in that when Mel's faith is strong she needs no food for sustenance, nor sleep for energy replenishment... nor is she ever cold. This scene highlights that crisis of faith in a very subtle way as well as having Mel take a literal good look at herself in the mirror.

Even her ritual in episode two shows her lingering crisis, she does the ritual on Jon but you can see she has some doubt. She even says 'please' during the ritual, appealing to the Lord of Light, she has just a faint hope that it'll work, so imagine what that might do for her regaining some confidence, which she hasn't ever had a problem with until the present events.

KnuteRoc

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man how brutal must Braavos be where you can have a 30ish year old able woman beating on a teenaged blind chick in the streets and nobody does a thing about it?
Braavosi routinely duel on the docks... in fact wearing steel on your person is an invitation to be challenged to 'the water dance'. Syrio Forsooth was a former Braavo, but the show has done their typically fantastic job at not explaining subtleties that book readers pick up on but show only viewers can't grasp without the relevant setup.

But yes, there aren't many good summaritans in the World of Ice and Fire.

KnuteRoc

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The show's poor backstory development is to blame here. In the books Hodor is believed by some to be a descendant of Ser Duncan the Tall from the Dunk & Egg novellas. Dunk is believed to be decsended from the race of giants, through a coupling with a First Men female, possibly Old Nan. Naturally for whatever reason the giant gene wasn't as dominant as the FM gene, but Dunk is believed to be near 7 feet or thereabouts.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit that's brilliant.

Do you have the other half of this amulet?

You mean how it would work the other way? I think someone already covered the gist of how that situation would go down. "Fishing in the Grand Canyon" and such.

I don't know that a human would survive the actual act of intercourse though, so he might have to be more creative. Like get a super soaker, fill it with your jizz, and shoot it up the giant's snatch while she's sleeping.

I believe that's how Hagrid from Harry Potter came to be.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And, did you guys see how CLEAN that dragon pen was! No way the queen went down there and picked up the dragon dung or hose out the urine. Sure as hell no one else was going in there. The dwarf set that torch down, you could have eaten off that floor it was so clean. Maybe they called, " Dragon Maids"?

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The show's poor backstory development is to blame here.

It's not 'poor' at all. It's what they can do in the time they have to tell the story. To tell the book story, each season would be like 30 episodes long. Which would, to say the least, be too expensive to make.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ramsay will have his comeuppance and either Theon or Sansa will get to do the honors.
This is where GRRM bends you over. The "good guys" never get their revenge in Thrones haha. Well, it's nearing an end. That might start happening now.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And, did you guys see how CLEAN that dragon pen was! No way the queen went down there and picked up the dragon dung or hose out the urine. Sure as hell no one else was going in there. The dwarf set that torch down, you could have eaten off that floor it was so clean. Maybe they called, " Dragon Maids"?
Maybe they only poop out a bit of ash. Everything else burns up inside them.

You don't know. When was the last time you saw any dragon shit?