• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game of Thrones

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Were the ravens sent out the night of the invasion on The Wall?

They were sent out at some point in season 3, I believe from Samwell as commanded by Lord Commander Mormont. In the season 3 finale Davos reads the letter. Then as Stannis was about to sentence Davos to death for freeing Gendry, Davos reveals to both Stannis and Melissandre what he read. That's when Melissandre actually talks Stannis out of executing Davos because she believes he'll be useful against the real enemy, which are the white walkers.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were sent out at some point in season 3, I believe from Samwell as commanded by Lord Commander Mormont. In the season 3 finale Davos reads the letter. Then as Stannis was about to sentence Davos to death for freeing Gendry, Davos reveals to both Stannis and Melissandre what he read. That's when Melissandre actually talks Stannis out of executing Davos because she believes he'll be useful against the real enemy, which are the white walkers.

Ya, this.

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[YOUTUBE]/8oVfIFrpslI[/YOUTUBE]

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hound-5.jpg

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm on the third episode. When the hell should I start understanding what's going on?

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It took me most of the first season to figure out the majority of things. There are tons of characters always being introduced and/or are so minor that you'll forget who they are after a while.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Print out 2 character charts, one for the personal/storyline relationships and one for their house geneology affiliations, and also print out a map.

Even then, the character charts require contant updates due to deaths and introduction of new characters.

Then do a mark-up/update after each episode. It is a good way to keep things straight.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've read ever book in the series that is in print.

And they have chopped and sliced and diced the book plotlines to fit TV viewing as well.

Whole sections have been ignored. So it's confusing even if you read the books.

But it's a deep show and you really have to pay attention.

RazorsEdge

Go Local Sports Team
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,626.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The whole season is packed with information. I had to watch it twice to get a good grasp on the characters and family dynamics.

Otis B. Driftwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The whole season is packed with information. I had to watch it twice to get a good grasp on the characters and family dynamics.

I had to go back and watch the first season again after reading the first book. It made a whole lot more sense the second time around. Now that I have read all five books I enjoy the viewings more and more.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had to go back and watch the first season again after reading the first book. It made a whole lot more sense the second time around. Now that I have read all five books I enjoy the viewings more and more.

The viewings bug me more and more because there are such variances from the books.

Critical stuff has simply been axed.

Plotlines have been joined for expediency.

Still good but I find my self saying "That wasn't in the book" more often than I should.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The viewings bug me more and more because there are such variances from the books.

Critical stuff has simply been axed.

Plotlines have been joined for expediency.

Still good but I find my self saying "That wasn't in the book" more often than I should.

I actually thought most of the changes were necessary in order to simplify things for the first three seasons. But season four brought a countless number of absolutely useless sub-plots combined with the elimination of two of the most interesting characters in the third book. I think the writers got a little cocky and just think their shit doesn't stink, so they just do whatever they want. Happened to George Lucas after The Empire Strikes back.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually thought most of the changes were necessary in order to simplify things for the first three seasons. But season four brought a countless number of absolutely useless sub-plots combined with the elimination of two of the most interesting characters in the third book. I think the writers got a little cocky and just think their shit doesn't stink, so they just do whatever they want. Happened to George Lucas after The Empire Strikes back.

Ed Zachary.

In the first seasons the books hadn't gotten too far along and they sort of stayed with them.

But now, they have John Snow with a teary parting with Ygritte, no Catelyn Stark after the Red Wedding, Etc? No Red Preist or Lord Berric. The whole Bran at Caster's compound when Jon was near was wrong too when Hodoor got beat up.

These are much more major than not having Tom Bombadil in Lord of the Rings.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a reader of the books...so...
...The two info websites I linked below really helped me to follow the story and the multitude of characters:

Game of Thrones Wiki

Particularly helpful (in the above linked site) is to read the synopsis of each episode immediately after you watch it.

A Wiki of Ice and Fire

Print out a few maps from the above website. It helps you to understand the story much better.

Also, prior to moving on to Season Two, I re-watched Season One, which was very helpful.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The makers of the GoT TV show made a mistake by not utilizing a very helpful technique to help viewers follow the series which has such an involved and detailed storyline with many scene/location changes, and tons of characters.

I'm referring to a technique used very effectively in the awesome 1962 WWII film about D-Day, The Longest Day. The technique is the usage of subtitles whenever a scene/location changes. The subtitles indicate the people/person in the scene, along with their title/position, along with the location of the scene.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a reader of the books...so...
...The two info websites I linked below really helped me to follow the story and the multitude of characters:

Game of Thrones Wiki

Particularly helpful (in the above linked site) is to read the synopsis of each episode immediately after you watch it.

A Wiki of Ice and Fire

Print out a few maps from the above website. It helps you to understand the story much better.

Also, prior to moving on to Season Two, I re-watched Season One, which was very helpful.

I'd be careful with the Wiki of Ice and Fire if you haven't read the books since they are up to date with a few chapters Martin has leaked from the book that hasn't even come out yet.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjzC2DRgEo4]South Park - Wiener Song HD - Game of Thrones - YouTube[/ame]

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Season 5 new cast members Comic-Con video:

:nod:

Last edited by a moderator: