• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game of Thrones

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate this argument.

Post GRRM material deaths include Margery, Tommen, Olenna, and Littlefinger. Yeah, its not Arya but those are major characters.

Plotwise it isn't perfect but you can nitpick everything. Snows quest for the wight was the dumbest move ever and Dani coming to the rescue was way too convenient but visually that was next level shit that may never happen again on television. If you are gonna watch that and bitch because Benjen randomly shows up, well don't be that guy. I tried to nitpick something stupid on Infinity War here (after my 10th viewing-I wasn't trying to be shitty I just saw it enough where the lack of a Wakandan air force stuck in my craw) and someone told me to not be a dick. Great point and yeah, its awesome so who cares

Well don't be a dick. Pretentious book readers are pissed because after 2015 they couldn't spoil shit. But in about 3 months we are gonna get 6 sundays that are awesome as fuck. Just enjoy the ride.

The quality of the writing on this show declined noticeably after season 4 and dropped into the shitter in season 6. I can and do nitpick this show all the time just because most of the time it's funny and I notice the little things more when they're already fucking up the bigger things. That, and it's just easy.

You're missing the point if you think this is just about deaths. But since you mentioned it, the show is now offing people left and right because it's the only way they know how to close up stories. Littlefinger went out like a bitch and the way he got caught made no sense. But they didn't know what to do with him so they killed him. Margery, Tommen, and Olenna weren't going to have anything to do either, that's why they're dead. Rickon and Benjen? Yeah, they didn't know what to do with those stories either so....they're dead.

No kidding Arya didn't die. The show turned her into Wolverine. Maybe that's because one of the retards serving as showrunner was a the genius behind X-Men Origins: Wolverine. That's about the quality of writing we're getting right now.

Cool effects and battle sequences though. They at least still have that going for them.

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The quality of the writing on this show declined noticeably after season 4 and dropped into the shitter in season 6. I can and do nitpick this show all the time just because most of the time it's funny and I notice the little things more when they're already fucking up the bigger things. That, and it's just easy.

You're missing the point if you think this is just about deaths. But since you mentioned it, the show is now offing people left and right because it's the only way they know how to close up stories. Littlefinger went out like a bitch and the way he got caught made no sense. But they didn't know what to do with him so they killed him. Margery, Tommen, and Olenna weren't going to have anything to do either, that's why they're dead. Rickon and Benjen? Yeah, they didn't know what to do with those stories either so....they're dead.

No kidding Arya didn't die. The show turned her into Wolverine. Maybe that's because one of the retards serving as showrunner was a the genius behind X-Men Origins: Wolverine. That's about the quality of writing we're getting right now.

The only thing that

Ok. You be shitty about awesome stuff. Ill just watch the awesomeness

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok. You be shitty about awesome stuff. Ill just watch the awesomeness
Just to be clear, you implied that I thought the show was bad because I'm a dick.

I'm just making it clear that me being dick has nothing to do with why the show is not good anymore.

Toadman005

The Scorpio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While the quality fell off, there were still bright spots. This was beautiful, from the build-up of drama to the score.
Agreed. While the show tanked hard after season 4, there are about 6 or 7 GOOD scenes, and this is definitely among them.

Toadman005

The Scorpio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd probably add Hold the Door to my list of good scenes.
Eh, for me that's a mixed bag.

I feel the good scenes are Hardhome (basically the moment the Thenne's walk off until the end), Cersei's walk of shame, Ceresi's "trial" (revenge), Jaime and the Blackfish's parlay, Stannis and Jon's scenes, Jaime and Olenna's scene, and of course, Missandei's nude scene good GOD!

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, if we are just talking about great scenes/sequences without taking into account how the characters got there, there are several other outstanding scenes:

Battle of the Bastards was great. Yes, Jon was kind of a dumbass and didn't prove that he’s a good general, and probably didn’t deserve to be named "King of the North" after the battle, but the battle itself was greatly shot and coreographed, on par with anything we can expect from a big budget Hollywood movie.

Same with the battle between Jaime's forces and the Dothraki. The bad/ridiculous parts happen before (how did the Dothraki get there unnoticed?) or after (how did Jaime escape?), but the battle itself was pretty outstanding.

While the whole plan of getting a wight was dumb (and the actual execution of the plan resulted in some on the most ridiculous sequences in the whole series, with lots of “teleporting” and stupid scenes), but the parlay between Dani and Cercei, and especially the moment when the wight is revealed to Cercei, was pretty great.

The Tower of Joy scenes were all pretty great, especially the fight between Young Ned and Arthur Dayne.

Proud_Okie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, if we are just talking about great scenes/sequences without taking into account how the characters got there, there are several other outstanding scenes:

Battle of the Bastards was great. Yes, Jon was kind of a dumbass and didn't prove that he’s a good general, and probably didn’t deserve to be named "King of the North" after the battle, but the battle itself was greatly shot and coreographed, on par with anything we can expect from a big budget Hollywood movie.

Same with the battle between Jaime's forces and the Dothraki. The bad/ridiculous parts happen before (how did the Dothraki get there unnoticed?) or after (how did Jaime escape?), but the battle itself was pretty outstanding.

While the whole plan of getting a wight was dumb (and the actual execution of the plan resulted in some on the most ridiculous sequences in the whole series, with lots of “teleporting” and stupid scenes), but the parlay between Dani and Cercei, and especially the moment when the wight is revealed to Cercei, was pretty great.

The Tower of Joy scenes were all pretty great, especially the fight between Young Ned and Arthur Dayne.
Agree.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I started watching season 1 over again yesterday. Got 5 episodes in.

I forgot how timid Dany was at the beginning with her brother. That was great.

I am also considering going back and rereading the books...but who knows if that will happen.

Proud_Okie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I started watching season 1 over again yesterday. Got 5 episodes in.

I forgot how timid Dany was at the beginning with her brother. That was great.

I am also considering going back and rereading the books...but who knows if that will happen.
Do it. I've read them 3 or 4 times and you catch stuff that you missed before.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do it. I've read them 3 or 4 times and you catch stuff that you missed before.
I guess I am kind of in a lull of what I am reading right now...so maybe

I also bought a copy of The Lies of Locke Lamora to read again...

Toadman005

The Scorpio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

See, I agree the production value and visual spectacle are amazing...the choreography of BotB was the best Ive ever seen. But I cannot look past the stupidity of it, and as you said, the wagon train attack. Just too much dumb. Amazing on first viewing but, when you think about it you're like, "Ugh, stupid".

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See, I agree the production value and visual spectacle are amazing...the choreography of BotB was the best Ive ever seen. But I cannot look past the stupidity of it, and as you said, the wagon train attack. Just too much dumb. Amazing on first viewing but, when you think about it you're like, "Ugh, stupid".

I agree that the logistics are lacking. The worst example was the expedition north of the wall, but I agree that secretly getting the Dothraki to that battle and ambushing Jaime's forces was just impossible. They could have fixed that with just one scene with a few lines of dialog.

I have zero problems with the BotB. Sure, Jon fucked up and let his emotions get the best of him, but that happens, and their odds weren't great anyway. I didn't like the aftermath because he didn't earn the KotN proclamation, but in all reality the northern lords needed to form a united front, and Jon is an honorable person and a good/great warrior.

Toadman005

The Scorpio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that the logistics are lacking. The worst example was the expedition north of the wall, but I agree that secretly getting the Dothraki to that battle and ambushing Jaime's forces was just impossible. They could have fixed that with just one scene with a few lines of dialog.

I have zero problems with the BotB. Sure, Jon fucked up and let his emotions get the best of him, but that happens, and their odds weren't great anyway. I didn't like the aftermath because he didn't earn the KotN proclamation, but in all reality the northern lords needed to form a united front, and Jon is an honorable person and a good/great warrior.
So, I don't wanna shit on BotB if you like it, but b your own logic, how do the Knights of the Vale show up Deus Ex Machina style without the Bolton's knowing? Why didn't they fight within Winterfell's walls?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am very much looking forward to Winds of Winter...I have faith it will come out in 2019!

I said the same thing in 2018 though...

maybe I will go reread Name of the Wind...

Have you read any of the sample chapters?
A few of them I enjoyed, a few were, in my view, the same old dreck we got in parts of AFFC and ADWD.
The Arianne* chapters, in particular ... :L

*Full disclosure: I. Can't. Stand. Arianne.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, I don't wanna shit on BotB if you like it, but b your own logic, how do the Knights of the Vale show up Deus Ex Machina style without the Bolton's knowing? Why didn't they fight within Winterfell's walls?

I know, I know. The logistics are a HUGE mess. The Vale's forces at least were riding to Winterfell, we knew they were going there. Yes, it is unlikely that they would surprise the Boltons, but at least it's somewhat plausible. The Dothraki were supposed to be stuck in Dragonstone, without ships and the only way to get to main Westeros was sailing right in front of Kings Landing.

Toadman005

The Scorpio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you read any of the sample chapters?
A few of them I enjoyed, a few were, in my view, the same old dreck we got in parts of AFFC and ADWD.
The Arianne* chapters, in particular ... :L

*Full disclosure: I. Can't. Stand. Arianne.
She's very boring