• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Day

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That was 3rd down. No reason to kick it if the snap was off

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no reason to go for it on 3rd down when your long snapper is injured and the backup can't do it.

you have to be smarter than that.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
no reason to go for it on 3rd down when your long snapper is injured and the backup can't do it.

you have to be smarter than that.
I actually like the call to kick on 3rd down. It gives you 2 chances to get a good snap. The holder should have fell on the ball when it was a bad snap

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
onwards to Dallas.
gotta whoop their ass and keep pace with Pitt and Baltimore

Gypsumstack

Hoopla Cash
$ 945.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offense looked like shit all game and this team had no business winning this game...and they only lost because of a back up long snapper.

Here's a thought: If you have fucking Blitzburgh on the schedule for week 1, you might want to give your new offensive line some playing time during the preseason.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few random thoughts on a weird week 1 game:

1) I thought I was supportive of the idea of resting starters all preseason. But it was clear that the offense needed work. Reminds me of last season when we blamed the slow start on Burrow coming back from knee surgery. They just look out of sync and I don't think Taylor's strategy was justified.
2) Our D gave us a chance. They held up all day. The biggest play they gave up (from a significance standpoint) was on a broken/offside play late in the game which led to the field goal. I think they'll be fine.
3) Overloads all game over our left side. Bengals are going to see 2-deep and 3-deep with 4 and 5 man stunts until they prove they can beat it. Early returns weren't positive.
4) The overtime strategy to kick on 3rd down and then not spike the ball on a bad snap was ridiculous. Shouldn't have left it to chance anyway.... I would have liked to see them more aggressive and score a TD in overtime.
5) Some fans will kill them for leaving 12 seconds on the playclock on the late punt. That was actually good strategy. Letting Pittsburgh set up a punt block and time it to mobilize at 1 second on the playclock would have been disastrous with a back-up long snapper. As good as the D was, there was no reason to think they couldn't hold one more time - Even with an extra 10-12 seconds.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
offense was rusty, but did enough to win, barely
special teams was suspect
defense played well

overall, bad enough to mismanage a winnable game.

it will get better folks.
I thought we would win a bunch of games to start out the season, probably a bit pie in the sky and this team needed a reality check anyway.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
offense was rusty, but did enough to win, barely
special teams was suspect
defense played well

overall, bad enough to mismanage a winnable game.

it will get better folks.
I thought we would win a bunch of games to start out the season, probably a bit pie in the sky and this team needed a reality check anyway.
Well, the good news is that the Bengals now face Cooper Rush and Joe Flacco over the next two weeks. We never do good against unknown guys, but this Dallas team is already reeling from losing a bunch of good players. As for Flacco.... We owned him when he was good (or at least somewhat good).

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the third straight opening game that they sleepwalked thru the first three quarters of the game.
Really makes you wonder what the hell they are doing in camp for a month.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the third straight opening game that they sleepwalked thru the first three quarters of the game.
Really makes you wonder what the hell they are doing in camp for a month.
Two years ago was the weird COVID year with all the contact restrictions. I'm not sure any team had much of an advantage. Last year, we all wrote it off as Burrow being rusty.... And truthfully, Chase and other starters did play preseason. This year, the lack of work was obvious - They looked unprepared.

McVay and the Rams also didn't do a great job of selling the merits of an easy camp for week 1 performance.

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
everybody enjoys a well dashed hope to start the season.....F)(&$$#

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zac needs to give up the play calling
I've been living under the delusion that he might just get better at it over time, but that really doesn't seem to be working out.

Aside from the awesome play calling, you have to give the coaches credit for design. I like the idea of having a rookie guard pulling on a pass play to be the primary pass protector against last year's DPOY. Solid design right there. It also takes a special group to deny the greatness of Chase with the ball in his hands... I mean, you'd figure all 31 other teams would hand it to him once. Or maybe a receiver screen once in a while?