• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game 1

cyorgan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep in mind House had the exact same injury as another CB on this team who has had his career killed because of it...

TT has put together a great team and has consistently found talent in just about every single area on the field...but CB. Granted, he did find Sam Shields which was a project we took a bit of a gamble on and won and we got lucky with Casey Hayward last year. However, you look at the epic whiffs he's had over the years starting with Michael Hawkins and Pat Lee for example. I'm not about to write off Micah Hyde yet because I think he really should be a Safety rather than a CB, he was always better as a Safety in college too. We really need to be addressing the CB situation because Shields will want his money after this year, especially if he has another good year and I don't see TT wanting to pay him; nor do I blame him for not wanting to pay Shields either. Who do we have behind Shields? We have one solid starting CB, a has been, and two young guys that barely have any experience one of which is coming off a major shoulder issue. After everything I read and saw from the other night, one of our biggest issues is at CB.

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After everything I read and saw from the other night, one of our biggest issues is at CB.

You may be the only person I have seen post/comment/write this comment (including other Packers forum I frequent, Packers.com site, and JSonline site) that believes this.

Packers are considered to have a lot of young talent with CBs.

Hayward and Williams were not on field, Shields is in contract year but expected to perform at high level, House is basically playing in his 2nd year coming back from injury, Hyde is rookie that just played his 1st preseason game and Bush stays with team for special teams only.

Blaise Winter

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You may be the only person I have seen post/comment/write this comment (including other Packers forum I frequent, Packers.com site, and JSonline site) that believes this.

Hayward and Williams were not on field, Shields is in contract year but expected to perform at high level, House is basically playing in his 2nd year coming back from injury, Hyde is rookie that just played his 1st preseason game and Bush stays with team for special teams only.

He's been playing this single note since before the Super Bowl. Which we won, remember? Then he didn't come around again until we lost in the playoffs after the 15-1 season. Our top 2 corners were out, and it was preseason. The secondary is not even close to our #1 concern this season.

cyorgan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I never said I was writing off Hyde. Clearly you missed that. Also, go read the write-up ESPN put up about the game the other night...

Stevein2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep in mind House had the exact same injury as another CB on this team who has had his career killed because of it...

Which CB had their career killed by a separated shoulder?

cyorgan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The same guy that cost us the game at Minnesota with his little shoving match with Jerome Simpson...

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

TT has put together a great team and has consistently found talent in just about every single area on the field...but CB. Granted, he did find Sam Shields which was a project we took a bit of a gamble on and won and we got lucky with Casey Hayward last year. However, you look at the epic whiffs he's had over the years starting with Michael Hawkins and Pat Lee for example. I'm not about to write off Micah Hyde yet because I think he really should be a Safety rather than a CB, he was always better as a Safety in college too. We really need to be addressing the CB situation because Shields will want his money after this year, especially if he has another good year and I don't see TT wanting to pay him; nor do I blame him for not wanting to pay Shields either. Who do we have behind Shields? We have one solid starting CB, a has been, and two young guys that barely have any experience one of which is coming off a major shoulder issue. After everything I read and saw from the other night, one of our biggest issues is at CB.

How did we get lucky with Hayward? Thompson traded up early to get him and he produced very well and is turning into one of the better young corners. Where is the luck?

Stevein2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How did we get lucky with Hayward? Thompson traded up early to get him and he produced very well and is turning into one of the better young corners. Where is the luck?

LOL TT hasn't been able to find talent at CB except for the 2 good starters he's found that don't count because there was a 5th and 2nd round pick didn't work out...

Stevein2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you don't count the 3 starters this team doesn't have any starting CBs :lame:

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you don't count the 3 starters this team doesn't have any starting CBs :lame:

Agreed

Seems most Sportswriters that follow the Packers closely seem to think Packers young CBs are a plus... guess I cannot be too surprised considering source saying it is a weak spot. ESPN article I saw only talked about CBs being a mess vs Cardinals... maybe that is because we had Hayward and Williams out.

Hyde looked good in run support and considering this was first ever live NFL experience, I think he did OK.

House and quite a few that will not make the team did not impress (Means, Nixon)... I am not worried after first preseason game. If starters are back for opener, should be OK.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cornerbacks are hard to find in general. It gets worse every year. I don't know how you find guys who can play corner in the league. Discipline is huge, but if they don't have recovery speed, it won't matter in todays league.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CB play is determined on pass rushing. Really it don't matter who the CB is, with no pass rush all CB's look bad and with pass rush most cb's look good. There are maybe 5 legit CB,s league wide.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, honestly. And the window of youth for cbs is a lot narrower. You lose the tiniest fraction of the inherent reflexes that allow you to stay with these lightning fast receivers, who ALWAYS have the initiative, and you can consider yourself screwed.

Jedster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have always said....playing CB is arguably the toughest position to play in football. Not only do you have to play "catch-up" with lightning fast guys who know where THEY are going, you have to GUESS where they are going, or try to do anything to disrupt their routes without drawing a penalty.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have always said....playing CB is arguably the toughest position to play in football. Not only do you have to play "catch-up" with lightning fast guys who know where THEY are going, you have to GUESS where they are going, or try to do anything to disrupt their routes without drawing a penalty.

I almost agree... IMO quarterback is the most difficult position. Afterwards Cornerback.

Cornerbacks jobs are getting more difficult in past 5+ years with rules changes. But I still think QB is easily most difficult even though some make it look easy.

cyorgan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL TT hasn't been able to find talent at CB except for the 2 good starters he's found that don't count because there was a 5th and 2nd round pick didn't work out...

Hmm, don't remember saying they didn't count.

We've been waiting and waiting upon House to do something. He looked great until the shoulder injury. He's been horrible since. Right now we have two legit starters and a guy who used to be a solid CB. I'm really hoping Hyde works out. He was one of the guys I was hoping we'd target late because of his all around experience. A lot of people were sour on him but I'd seen him play at Iowa and knew how good and tough he really was. You can never have too much depth in the secondary and right now, we really don't have it.

You can make a big deal out of the pass rush all you want, but I remember the 2011 Dallas Cowboys defense which had one of the best front 7 in the league, yet their secondary was atrocious. Opposing teams just threw quick slant passes on them all season and Romo had to try and play hero(as amusing as it was) the majority of the time. I can understand that we have a young and developing secondary, but right now, we've got some major ?'s. It might be harsh to hear, but our secondary may not be as good as we think it is. TT's drafts have reflected this as of late. We've moved on from Charles Woodson and Nick Collins and we're moving onto an era with Hayward, Shields, and Burnett as the leaders of that group. I just hope Hyde and others can step up.

Stevein2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm, don't remember saying they didn't count.

If they don't count then you don't have a point. Most teams don't have 3 starting CBs and we do. All 3 if they were cut today would no doubt be starting somewhere in the NFL week 1.

cyorgan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we have 2 starting CB's. Not 3.