• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game #1 Sharks v.s Blues 4:30pm

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll also repeat others feelings on TJ. He really has no idea what a SOG is and that was obvious as soon as he started playing for us. He's been strictly a board sweeper, unfortunately for us he doesn't have any Dahlen in him.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Moore, when you have the goalie down and out pull the fucking trigger on a top shelf backhander! If you don't know how then start fucking practicing.

OK I'm done, for now.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. sharks need a whol lot more from line one. I thought pavs was effective for the most part, but patty was awful, and jumbo not far behind. Line one has to be a positive factor in the series.

Umm, no. See what I posted above. Pavs was as ineffective as Thornton/Marleau, if not more so. The entire line stunk out loud.

He was only "effective" to you because he's your favorite Shark.

Also, Winnik is definitely worth more then $1M.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Umm, no. See what I posted above. Pavs was as ineffective as Thornton/Marleau, if not more so. The entire line stunk out loud.

Well, I can see the +/- on chances, and his whole line was bad, as I mentioned. of the three though, I saw pavs create a few nice chances, like when came down the middle and put the behind the back pass to set up burns early in the OT for a point blank shot from the slot. he wasnt good, but he at least had a few plays. I remember nothing good from marleau, and I was looking for something all game. Jumbo had a couple flurries, but not much there either. Pretty much I agree with you that the whole line needs to be much much improved.

I disagree about winnik. He is playing well, and I am glad. But at his core, I dont think he is worth 2M. Manny got vastly overpaid and played only 6 games (with a -1) in their PO run last year, so he obviously didnt help. In game one he played just 10 mins and was non-factor. Vancouver would have been far better off using that money more wisely elsewhere.

If you give winnik 2M, then that has to come from somewhere. I would rather spend more money on a two-way 3rd liner since its the lack of scoring depth that nearly cost the sharks a PO appearance. When one top 9 forward goes down and the team tailspins, that's a bad sign. Winnik for 1M, possibly 1.2 or 1.3 is fine, but nowhere near 2.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mitchell and his nightmare of a contract will be off the books so a lot of it will come from there.

Also, doesn't Winnik make like $1M now? He'll need a bit of a raise for sure. Not sure you'll need to throw $2M at him, but somewhere in between would be fine with me.

Also, have to get rid of Galiardi somehow. He's worse than Mitchell, FFS.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sharks could probably offer Winnik a 3 year, $4M contract and he'd take it. I think he'd be worth it too. $1,333,333M per ain't bad.

And Pavelski was horrible as was Marleau. Thornton was mostly ineffective in the O-zone, but he had a couple of nice backchecks and defensive plays. Of the 3, he was the best overall imho.....which isn't saying much.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sorry to say, but there is no way Winnik signs anywhere for $1 or less. He deserves more than that. To me, he's an elite 3rd liner. Not in the scoring department, but as a defensive shutdown winger. I view him as a luxury type player for a contender. Meaning if cap space is saved in other areas, a team can 'splurge' on an elite 3rd liner like Winnik. Very similar to how VAN was able to splurge on an elite 3rd line center in Malhotra because they got the twins, Hamhuis, Kesler on great deals. Winnik wins pucks, protects possession, and almost never makes a bonehead play. I am okay with giving him $2 if other areas on the team are fulfilled first (top 6 tweener, 3rd line center).

Winnik was asking $2.5m per from Colorado which is one reason they traded him. They also have a carbin copy of him in McClemment. I don't think he'll get that much even if he hits UFA but $1.75m - $2.0m wouldn't be bad.

caliraftdude

Sharks Hockey... meh...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I had to listen to a lot of 1st OT in a car on radio and it didn't even sound like Patty/Thornton or Pavs was playing... I dont recall hearing any of those names called out once on the drive home.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it really cheating, if you don't get caught? :think:

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had to listen to a lot of 1st OT in a car on radio and it didn't even sound like Patty/Thornton or Pavs was playing... I dont recall hearing any of those names called out once on the drive home.

Hah.. yeah, that's because the Sharks were so thoroughly dominated in the 1st OT that pretty much all you'd hear is "Niemi with the save!" and ".. and the Sharks finally clear!" :L

They were really lucky to make it to the 2nd OT, IMO.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hah.. yeah, that's because the Sharks were so thoroughly dominated in the 1st OT that pretty much all you'd hear is "Niemi with the save!" and ".. and the Sharks finally clear!" :L

No kidding. It seemed like they had it in our end for 10 straight minutes during that first OT and there was plenty of other stretches throughout the game that we couldn't clear it. Check out this rofl nugget from a Lebrun post:

"That’s the best I’ve seen San Jose move the puck out of their zone all year long," an NHL scout told ESPN.com during the game Thursday night. "Smart chips. It’s out of there in a hurry. That makes such a difference in their game. I’m really surprised after what I saw most of the year."

What game was this scout watching? Holy shit.

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Sharks could probably offer Winnik a 3 year, $4M contract and he'd take it. I think he'd be worth it too. $1,333,333M per ain't bad.

And Pavelski was horrible as was Marleau. Thornton was mostly ineffective in the O-zone, but he had a couple of nice backchecks and defensive plays. Of the 3, he was the best overall imho.....which isn't saying much.

Winnik was definitely one of their better players last night. I hope they keep him.
I'm not sure if TJ, Moore, or Mitchell could score if the net was empty, and they were the only guys out there. LOL.

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Yep, St Louis was all over them. Niemi came up huge.
The bad thing for the Blues is that they played really well, but still lost the game. It'll be interesting to see how they come out for Game 2. Sharks can't be happy winning 1 game there, they need to come out and jump all over them.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Agreed unless being effective meant getting destroyed every time he touched the puck typically leading to a turnover going the other way. Marleau is still shying away from hit's looks to be his right shoulder, as much as i hate to say it i think Pavelski and Marleau both sucking is effecting Thorntons play and bringing him down

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
No kidding. It seemed like they had it in our end for 10 straight minutes during that first OT and there was plenty of other stretches throughout the game that we couldn't clear it. Check out this rofl nugget from a Lebrun post:

"That’s the best I’ve seen San Jose move the puck out of their zone all year long," an NHL scout told ESPN.com during the game Thursday night. "Smart chips. It’s out of there in a hurry. That makes such a difference in their game. I’m really surprised after what I saw most of the year."

What game was this scout watching? Holy shit.

Actually i noticed it to, the sharks werent going for the long pass out of their zone, st louis was taking away the netrual zone so the sharks were smartly making 2 short passes at their blue line to get out of the zone and the forwards were coming out with speed pushing the st louis defense back to thier own blue line.

A third pass was being made right as the sharks forwards were getting past center ice or entering the blues zone, it was quite effective and put a lot of pressure on the Boo's.

The Boo's were playing to take away the long pass, so give credit to Tmac for finding away around it.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually i noticed it to, the sharks werent going for the long pass out of their zone, st louis was taking away the netrual zone so the sharks were smartly making 2 short passes at their blue line to get out of the zone and the forwards were coming out with speed pushing the st louis defense back to thier own blue line.

A third pass was being made right as the sharks forwards were getting past center ice or entering the blues zone, it was quite effective and put a lot of pressure on the Boo's.

The Boo's were playing to take away the long pass, so give credit to Tmac for finding away around it.

It certainly wasn't the best all year long. Several times they went for the long pass and turned it over. Several times we turned it over just past our blueline. Many times we coughed it up trying the two passes to get out. Clearing our zone is what we did worst in that game and it needs a huge improvement.