• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Future Opponents? Michigan, Auburn, Arky, Penn State...

X Factor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good for you guys, I have always thought highly of your program and good luck this year!

Taz_Hokie

Ut Prosim
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like it.

I've always said that I would like one premier team (top 5/10), one really good team (top 25) and two good teams (ECU caliber) as an OOC slate. Even if we can get Penn St or the other teams linked, while they may not be what I want ranking wise, they do carry some weight from name alone.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I've wanted a rivalry with Penn State for so long, but the scandal has tarnished that. Let's just schedule series with both Michigan and Auburn. Sugar Bowl paybacks!

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always said that I would like one premier team (top 5/10), one really good team (top 25) and two good teams (ECU caliber) as an OOC slate. Even if we can get Penn St or the other teams linked, while they may not be what I want ranking wise, they do carry some weight from name alone.

i dont like playing teams like ECU, and i lump boise in there too.. teams from non-AQ schools that are actually pretty good.. nobody respects ECU even though they're a pretty good team, and boise ends up being "if you win, you beat a non-AQ school, congrats.." and if you lose it's like losing to the bottom of the barrel

i'd much rather play middle of the road AQ schools like cincinatti, illinios, miss st., texas tech..

agreed with the rest though, i love when VT has big OOC games

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i dont like playing teams like ECU, and i lump boise in there too.. teams from non-AQ schools that are actually pretty good.. nobody respects ECU even though they're a pretty good team, and boise ends up being "if you win, you beat a non-AQ school, congrats.." and if you lose it's like losing to the bottom of the barrel

i'd much rather play middle of the road AQ schools like cincinatti, illinios, miss st., texas tech..

I agree. Penn State will soon be in this category as well -- no respect, but with potential.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sucks Tennessee pusses out so hard. That could be an awesome rivalry

Taz_Hokie

Ut Prosim
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know, I think ECU has gotten enough respect as a non-AQ team to warrant scheduling and since we already have them on ours for the next 100 years, I thought it was a good basis. I also don't want to load too much strength in our OOC as we could still use some warm up games early in the season. My ideal schedule would be like the one we had back when it was Bama, Nebraska, ECU and Marshall.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Sucks Tennessee pusses out so hard. That could be an awesome rivalry

A yearly game with Tennessee would expand Lane Stadium. The Vols are down, but people would hoard tickets on both sides. It's a Florida/Georgia type potential game. A permanent OOC rival is the one of the things I've missed about moving in the ACC, and Tennesee is in the same boat.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A yearly game with Tennessee would expand Lane Stadium. The Vols are down, but people would hoard tickets on both sides. It's a Florida/Georgia type potential game. A permanent OOC rival is the one of the things I've missed about moving in the ACC, and Tennesee is in the same boat.

I still love the idea of playing this game yearly at Bristol Motor Speedway. It's a no brainer. Almost the same exact distance away. A border war. The Place holds like freakin 150,000 people. Both schools would make assloads of $$$$. It could have turned into something truly special. I am still kinda surprised that the idea never really took off with both schools.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still love the idea of playing this game yearly at Bristol Motor Speedway. It's a no brainer. Almost the same exact distance away. A border war. The Place holds like freakin 150,000 people. Both schools would make assloads of $$$$. It could have turned into something truly special. I am still kinda surprised that the idea never really took off with both schools.

They built a scoring tower in the middle of the infield now, so it isn;t going to happen.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah that's what I understand 46, Took this blurn from Wikipedia _BMS.

In 2005, track owner Bruton Smith made a public offer of $20 million apiece to the University of Tennessee and Virginia Tech to schedule a non-conference college football game between the powerhouse Volunteers and Hokies' programs. Smith suggested that grass could be grown in the infield section of the racetrack. Virginia Tech showed much interest and nearly agreed to the proposal but Tennessee on the other hand showed little or no interest and in fact avoided the offer which made this possibility ultimately fall by the wayside.

Organizers hoped that a game would draw 150,000 spectators, which would break all previous American team sports records for attendance. The track's location near the Virginia/Tennessee state line puts BMS about 125 miles (201 km) from Tech's campus in Blacksburg, Virginia, and about 110 miles (180 km) from the UT campus in Knoxville, Tennessee. However, holding a football game at the site would now seem highly impractical following the recent construction of the aforementioned scoring pylon and four-sided video screen in the middle of the infield.

Sheesh...WTF were the Vols thinking. That would have been a sweet game.

Last edited by a moderator:

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its because Tennessee blows

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I could learn to hate Virginia Tech :-)

WolverinesSite2.jpg

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If you want a cartoon that accurately depicts what happened in the Sugar Bowl you'd have a beat-down, bloody, puffed up wolverine made up of mostly hair crawling past a Giant Ass killer Hokie bird slipping in its own shit

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
For the right amount of money Bristol could still one day happen. It would take money, but the tower could be taken down to the foundation and later reinstalled. The field would have to be synthetic and temporary. The biggest reason that it is possible is that there is no other facility that could come close to seating 160,000 people for football. Every other race track is too far spread out (example: Indy or Daytona). Still, it would take two epic teams to form the hype to make financial sense. If anyone could make it happen it's Bruton Smith.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the right amount of money Bristol could still one day happen. It would take money, but the tower could be taken down to the foundation and later reinstalled. The field would have to be synthetic and temporary. The biggest reason that it is possible is that there is no other facility that could come close to seating 160,000 people for football. Every other race track is too far spread out (example: Indy or Daytona). Still, it would take two epic teams to form the hype to make financial sense. If anyone could make it happen it's Bruton Smith.

Thats the truth there

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you want a cartoon that accurately depicts what happened in the Sugar Bowl you'd have a beat-down, bloody, puffed up wolverine made up of mostly hair crawling past a Giant Ass killer Hokie bird slipping in its own shit

It's all in the final score

136392389_crop_650x440.jpg