• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Front Office Still A Joke?

martinez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is having patients and having a screw it we have no shot so why even try approach. We need to field a team that shows real improvement over the last two years. And Im sorry but firing Gruden at the end of this season would basically be taking yet another step backwards. IN todays NFL you got about a 2-3 year window to get good and stay good. Otherwise you are the Raiders.
and how are we not even trying? skins have interest in tons of free agents, cali and everyone else posted like 20 sources yesterday. free agency start TOMORROW. you said it yourself that maybe we are waiting on the free agents to avoid tampering violations.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is having patients and having a screw it we have no shot so why even try approach. We need to field a team that shows real improvement over the last two years. And Im sorry but firing Gruden at the end of this season would basically be taking yet another step backwards. IN todays NFL you got about a 2-3 year window to get good and stay good. Otherwise you are the Raiders.

Cmon. Do you honestly think that the new GM has a "screw it we have no shot" approach to the current team. Why does everything have to be one extreme or the other? Just because a team doesn't go all-in for the upcoming season doesn't mean that they don't care about the team. How about having a philosophy which states we will give it a shot, but we don't think that we will go to the SB this year? I see nothing wrong with that.

Trust me - over the next few weeks they will pickup their fair share of FAs who will very likely contribute to the team. I just get the feeling from some folks here that the offseason is meant to entertain them & that will only happen if the team picks up players that they consider to be worthy. Guess what? It doesn't generally work like that when you have competent people running the show. I also won't shed too many tears if Gruden is gone next season since it will likely primarily be due to his own actions.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and how are we not even trying? skins have interest in tons of free agents, cali and everyone else posted like 20 sources yesterday. free agency start TOMORROW. you said it yourself that maybe we are waiting on the free agents to avoid tampering violations.

I wasnt saying the Skins are not trying. What i am saying is that the whole concept of dont worry about free agency, just get guys on the cheap and build through the draft.... while it sounds good, its unrealistic from where we stand at present. We have seven draft picks and need no less than nine starters, and probably five or six backups as well. So lets say Scot knocks it out the park on draft day and we get four starters from this draft alone AND three solid backups.... Still leaves 5 starters and three or more backups needed...

So in order to make valid improvement this year, we are going to have to find some starters in FA.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cmon. Do you honestly think that the new GM has a "screw it we have no shot" approach to the current team. Why does everything have to be one extreme or the other? Just because a team doesn't go all-in for the upcoming season doesn't mean that they don't care about the team. How about having a philosophy which states we will give it a shot, but we don't think that we will go to the SB this year? I see nothing wrong with that.

Trust me - over the next few weeks they will pickup their fair share of FAs who will very likely contribute to the team. I just get the feeling from some folks here that the offseason is meant to entertain them & that will only happen if the team picks up players that they consider to be worthy. Guess what? It doesn't generally work like that when you have competent people running the show. I also won't shed too many tears if Gruden is gone next season since it will likely primarily be due to his own actions.

NO, but I believe many in the fan base feel this way and are hoping we take that exact approach in order to concentrate on building through the draft. And i would bet Obama's left nut these are the same people who would be screaming bloody murder if we take that exact approach and have another bad year.

martinez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasnt saying the Skins are not trying. What i am saying is that the whole concept of dont worry about free agency, just get guys on the cheap and build through the draft.... while it sounds good, its unrealistic from where we stand at present. We have seven draft picks and need no less than nine starters, and probably five or six backups as well. So lets say Scot knocks it out the park on draft day and we get four starters from this draft alone AND three solid backups.... Still leaves 5 starters and three or more backups needed...

So in order to make valid improvement this year, we are going to have to find some starters in FA.
i want the skins to sign a guy like bulaga and the skins have shown interest in him. i dont want the skins to go crazy and give out a bunch of huge way over payed contracts. theres a difference between doing nothing and signing one guy like bulaga. wanting our team to be built mostly from the draft in a few years isnt bad and thats what scot wants to do. stop gap here and there sure, but the basis is build through the draft. we will sign free agents dont worry.

martinez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NO, but I believe many in the fan base feel this way and are hoping we take that exact approach in order to concentrate on building through the draft. And i would bet Obama's left nut these are the same people who would be screaming bloody murder if we take that exact approach and have another bad year.
unless rg3 turns into god again next we probably wont make the playoffs. overspending has bit our asses so hard in the past and you know it.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
unless rg3 turns into god again next we probably wont make the playoffs. overspending has bit our asses so hard in the past and you know it.

Dude, who said anything about playoffs. It is my firm belief that this team has got to show Improvement over what we have seen the last two seasons. If it doesnt, then you cant be sure the coach will keep his job. As I said, we can build through the draft, but we are going to need about 5 starters through FA. And Im being kind at only saying 5.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, who said anything about playoffs. It is my firm belief that this team has got to show Improvement over what we have seen the last two seasons. If it doesnt, then you cant be sure the coach will keep his job. As I said, we can build through the draft, but we are going to need about 5 starters through FA. And Im being kind at only saying 5.

First of all they could still get 4-5 starters via FA but it doesn't necessarily have to include big name, big $$ guys. Secondly - I hope that you are not suggesting that every position on the team needs to be improved over this offseason. That may be a great goal but not a realistic one. You have to remember that even one significant improvement in one area can improve that unit & the overall team. One better O-lineman helps the line, the passing game, etc. One better pass rusher helps that unit & the secondary (& vice versa). This isn't the NBA where you are simply trying to assemble an all star team.

Also - some of this needs to be addressed via player development which - believe it or not - can make a big difference in only one year. Some of last year's players can step up with the help of the recently hired asst coaches & perhaps some of those coaches can be retained even if Gruden is canned.

There are a lot more pieces to this puzzle than what we are seeing right now. People need to chill out & let this unfold. I can't believe that people are getting bent out of shape when the first official day of free agency hasn't even occurred.

skinzfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why would an established veteran starter want to come to the Redskins unless they were willing to pay more (significantly) than other teams?

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why would an established veteran starter want to come to the Redskins unless they were willing to pay more (significantly) than other teams?

Great. Again - could be a blessing in disguise. This team probably needs to build slowly & perhaps pickup those type of guys in a year or two once the team shows improvement. By that time they might be an attractive destination. If they started a winning tradition I am guessing that lots of players would want to come to a team like the Redskins that has a great fanbase & is in a very desirable location.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Socal.. as it sits right now we need at a minimum 2 safety's capable of starting as we currently have none.

We need a starting NT, and 2 DE's as again we have no STARTERS and actually no depth on the D-line either aside from Ricky-Jean whom we just signed.

We also need a starting CB and a nickel CB

SO I just counted five starters, not upgrades mind you, but positions where we dont even have a sorry guy penciled in at the moment.

Throw in needing 2-4 starters on the O-line and you see where IM going. These dont need to be big names mind you, but if we start bringing in this years crop of Lavauo's and Roberts.... its going to be a very long year.

Lonewate44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Socal.. as it sits right now we need at a minimum 2 safety's capable of starting as we currently have none.

We need a starting NT, and 2 DE's as again we have no STARTERS and actually no depth on the D-line either aside from Ricky-Jean whom we just signed.

SO I just counted five starters, not upgrades mind you, but positions where we dont even have a sorry guy penciled in at the moment.

Throw in needing 2-4 starters on the O-line and you see where IM going. These dont need to be big names mind you, but if we start bringing in this years crop of Lavauo's and Roberts.... its going to be a very long year.

I see, but you are not thinking that young guys we have can develope??? What about Hall...if healthy, that is 1 less position, either corner, or safety.....We can get starters, just dont need the "big name " guys.......

Sheesh...we have been crying about the way our F/O does business...now when they appear to be going the way we wanted...and should....you are butt hurt that the big name guys are going elsewhere.... for Big contracts.....

How about we get quality young guys that can do it.....save some of our $$$$ and pay our own like Kerrigan, Williams and Morris!

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see, but you are not thinking that young guys we have can develope??? What about Hall...if healthy, that is 1 less position, either corner, or safety.....We can get starters, just dont need the "big name " guys.......

Sheesh...we have been crying about the way our F/O does business...now when they appear to be going the way we wanted...and should....you are butt hurt that the big name guys are going elsewhere.... for Big contracts.....

How about we get quality young guys that can do it.....save some of our $$$$ and pay our own like Kerrigan, Williams and Morris!

Show me once where I said we needed big name guys?? I said we need starters. And IM sorry but I have about as much faith in Hall coming back from a double Achilles as I would in Bill Clinton mentoring my 22 year old daughter.

And you are right I dont have much faith in our current young guys developing. Not when they couldnt unseat the likes of Chris Chester.

And as it stands right now we will have no less than $30 million in cap space next year and IM low balling at that number. If we have $30 million in cap space and CANT resign Kerrigan, William and Morris, then we are well and truly screwt any way.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well we have 4 guys who are solid or better at this point
Hatcher and Paea are the pass rushers, Baker and RJF the better run defenders. Remember we only need to come up with about 2,700-3,000 snaps among our DL. Ideally Hatcher and Paea will be 700+, so that is 1,400-1,600 on the high end, and Baker and RJF can combine for 800-1,100. Ideally that covers 80% or more of the snaps. Obviously you want some insurance in case of an injury or two, but these 4 should be able to handle most of the work load.

Steveospeak - Content Manager of Fanspeak.com

by Steve Shoup on Mar 9, 2015 | 2:31 PM up reply

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sounds about right although I would dispute some of this as - again - different position coaches could have somewhat of an impact (e.g are you stating that Amerson is a complete lost cause & they should just ditch him?). I wouldn't worry too much about your last paragraph since we have a different person running the show.

I would be very, very surprised if this team continues to acquire the same type of players as in the last 3-5 years. That would basically be stating that the new GM has lost it - I highly doubt that. I understand the negative feelings based on the past, but I would hope that people would at least see hope with the new guy. IMO - this is the biggest Redskins change in the last 10 years.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Show me once where I said we needed big name guys?? I said we need starters. And IM sorry but I have about as much faith in Hall coming back from a double Achilles as I would in Bill Clinton mentoring my 22 year old daughter.

And you are right I dont have much faith in our current young guys developing. Not when they couldnt unseat the likes of Chris Chester.

And as it stands right now we will have no less than $30 million in cap space next year and IM low balling at that number. If we have $30 million in cap space and CANT resign Kerrigan, William and Morris, then we are well and truly screwt any way.

Do you have any faith in this team? I also am starting to somewhat disagree with your approach as you post more info. It sounds like you want to basically build a SB contender by this season. IMO - that is a terrible approach & one of the main reasons why this team has suffered for so long.

If they were to get a solid safety & say another solid D-lineman I would have no issue with retaining a younger safety even if the guy makes some mistakes along the way. I also have no problem giving someone like Amerson another shot (with the condition that it won't go past next season). To basically state that you want every young player to play flawlessly from the beginning is another big mistake. Give these guys some time. Again - the measuring stick should be improvement & not immediate playoff runs or winning seasons.

To answer one of your previous questions - yes - I would not have a major problem with a 6-10 record if the team showed definite signs of improvement & was not relying on older vets for the most part. The past few seasons the problems with the team went well beyond the record.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you have any faith in this team? I also am starting to somewhat disagree with your approach as you post more info. It sounds like you want to basically build a SB contender by this season. IMO - that is a terrible approach & one of the main reasons why this team has suffered for so long.

If they were to get a solid safety & say another solid D-lineman I would have no issue with retaining a younger safety even if the guy makes some mistakes along the way. I also have no problem giving someone like Amerson another shot (with the condition that it won't go past next season). To basically state that you want every young player to play flawlessly from the beginning is another big mistake. Give these guys some time. Again - the measuring stick should be improvement & not immediate playoff runs or winning seasons.

To answer one of your previous questions - yes - I would not have a major problem with a 6-10 record if the team showed definite signs of improvement & was not relying on older vets for the most part. The past few seasons the problems with the team went well beyond the record.

Socal... to answer your first question.. I have very little faith in the current players on this roster save a few names. And no I dont want to build a Super Bowl contender in this one off season. I would have to begrudgingly be content with AVERAGE at this point. Even if we got capable starters at all the positions I mentioned, and hadf capable backups at half the positions on the team, we are still 2-3 years away from being GOOD. And thats if everything lines up.

And Im sorry, but 6-10 following 4-12 which followed 3-13 would be a hard sell. I never said we get rid of the young guys we have, but odds are none of them are even remotely ready to start for any reason other than.. well damn we aint got no body else to put into the spot.

I keep hearing the rant of we need to draft the best player available and forget about position so much... you know how you do that?? You go into the draft NOT thinking you have got to pull a starter with your first three picks. And the best way to do that for a team in our situation is to fil those holes a month and a half before the draft. So that in the event a Gregory slips to us, we can take him and consider his production a BONUS, not a must have. Or if Marriota is there at 5 and Chip Kelly calls and offers his mantaint and 3 first rounders, we can take the deal and smile all the way knowing that anything we draft is a bonus and not some one we HAVE to pencil in as a day one starter.

Ritzarmy

RIP WLK Loving father, husband, & friend to ALL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see us right now as holding our cards close to our chest and waiting till tomorrow to show our hand. Some teams may have a bigger stack then us so they are able to pay more but we need to be wise with our money for once and fill our needs with cheaper young guys for the future.