• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

From Lookout Landing...Felix as Closer

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the idea but I don't think Felix will have the mindset. Just be better to leave him in 5th spot and watch the runners cross the plate.

Ya, but..if they do that they run into the having to start a 5th starter on opening day. Even though this is “Jerry’s” team. If Felix is a starter he will be starting opening day whether Jerry likes it or not. No real need to battle the PR nightmare/backlash from either starting him or not on opening day. It was a legit discussion this year between he and Paxton when they had expectations. Just why intentionally give yourself backlash when you know you are about to have the least amount of revenue from the gate than the organization has had since they were all packed up for Tampa Bay.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya, but..if they do that they run into the having to start a 5th starter on opening day. Even though this is “Jerry’s” team. If Felix is a starter he will be starting opening day whether Jerry likes it or not. No real need to battle the PR nightmare/backlash from either starting him or not on opening day. It was a legit discussion this year between he and Paxton when they had expectations. Just why intentionally give yourself backlash when you know you are about to have the least amount of revenue from the gate than the organization has had since they were all packed up for Tampa Bay.

This franchise already is a PR nightmare/laughing stock of the league. I guess it's fine to give Felix the ball opening day to pack the stadium one and probably only time of the year. After that, in the 4th or 5th spot.

rightstuff

Trump convicted on Washing Money.LOL.
Hoopla Cash
$ 13.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People have brought up Felix struggling in the first inning. But closing is a pressure situation and Felix does well when he is pitching on adrenaline for short spurts

Agree 100% about Felix's 1st inning struggles.
It would also be nice if Felix came to camp in GREAT Shape.

That said, think about this, It Could be total hogwash, but...…..Maybe Felix struggles early because he is just trying to get through 5 innings.

Mindset changes when he knows he may only face 3-5 batters.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just saw a quote from servais talking about it being a contract year for felix, and how he's competitive.

hilarious.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This franchise already is a PR nightmare/laughing stock of the league. I guess it's fine to give Felix the ball opening day to pack the stadium one and probably only time of the year. After that, in the 4th or 5th spot.

All of that is true, but they are already going to have a tough time trying to sell tickets. Just from a marketing standpoint it makes the most sense. Maybe not for success but everyone in the world knows they need to lose to get a top 5 pick.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of that is true, but they are already going to have a tough time trying to sell tickets. Just from a marketing standpoint it makes the most sense. Maybe not for success but everyone in the world knows they need to lose to get a top 5 pick.

They should be in line for the next couple of years to be in the top 5 which I'm fine with. I went 5 yrs of the Sixers tanking to get better so what's 3 more years of rebuilding for the M's. It's been 18 yrs since our last playoff game so 3 more years should be a piece of cake.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just saw a quote from servais talking about it being a contract year for felix, and how he's competitive.

hilarious.

God this dude is still the manager. Mind blowing

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should be in line for the next couple of years to be in the top 5 which I'm fine with. I went 5 yrs of the Sixers tanking to get better so what's 3 more years of rebuilding for the M's. It's been 18 yrs since our last playoff game so 3 more years should be a piece of cake.

I think everyone is fine with them being bad enough to get a top 5 pick. My problem is that they still have to much talent on the roster to be bad enough for a top 5 pick IMO.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think everyone is fine with them being bad enough to get a top 5 pick. My problem is that they still have to much talent on the roster to be bad enough for a top 5 pick IMO.

Probably true so maybe deadline deals can be made for more prospects.

Kernz

Sativa
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry but I don't think Felix is going to be good for much of anything for what's left of this team in 2019. Sounds like maybe Seager and Gordan are going to be around for a while too. Sounds like Dip might be riding down the middle of the road....not committing totally one way or the other IMO

The only think Felix will be "good" for is $25 Mill....:L

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

hilarious.

source.gif

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably true so maybe deadline deals can be made for more prospects.

True, and that is the goal for us fans. But outside of Haniger and Marco, there isn’t a whole lot to trade unless Jerry starts packaging current prospects at the deadline. I know I’m totally down on most of this but they made their deadline deals in the offseason and the only way they can even remotely get one good prospect at the deadline is for Marco and Haniger (which I doubt he’d deal) or the exact opposite of what needs to happen and guys have either bounce back or career years which means they are competing for the 2nd wild card again. The team constructed (to me) isn’t that much worse than last year without Cano. Smith is better than Heredia, Crawford hasn’t shown the bat Segura has but is better defensively. Encarnacion is a slight down grade from Cruz but Santana is an upgrade over Gamel. The main weakness is the staff as there is no one but in Seattle we have seen nobodies pitch above what their talent is.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, and that is the goal for us fans. But outside of Haniger and Marco, there isn’t a whole lot to trade unless Jerry starts packaging current prospects at the deadline. I know I’m totally down on most of this but they made their deadline deals in the offseason and the only way they can even remotely get one good prospect at the deadline is for Marco and Haniger (which I doubt he’d deal) or the exact opposite of what needs to happen and guys have either bounce back or career years which means they are competing for the 2nd wild card again. The team constructed (to me) isn’t that much worse than last year without Cano. Smith is better than Heredia, Crawford hasn’t shown the bat Segura has but is better defensively. Encarnacion is a slight down grade from Cruz but Santana is an upgrade over Gamel. The main weakness is the staff as there is no one but in Seattle we have seen nobodies pitch above what their talent is.

I'm for Haniger to be traded (probably in the minority) but if JD thinks by 2021 is when the roster is a playoff team than he'll be 30 I believe. Trade him now or at the deadline and he should be able to get a very solid return of prospects.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm for Haniger to be traded (probably in the minority) but if JD thinks by 2021 is when the roster is a playoff team than he'll be 30 I believe. Trade him now or at the deadline and he should be able to get a very solid return of prospects.

I’m totally fine with that, but that is ass backwards on how Jerry shouldn’t done a tear down. Zunino and Haniger are offseason trades. Diaz, Cano, Gamel Colome, Pazos and Paxton are deadline guys. Before all the drama with Segura he was an offseason type guy but he was a guy that should’ve stayed and tried to rebuild his value by showing he was a team guy. In general role players, starting pitchers and bullpen arms have much more value at the deadline.

But I really do think it isn’t a rebuild if you don’t trade your best player. I know Diaz was coveted but Haniger is still the best player you don’t keep your highest WAR guy or whatever dumb analytics stat you want to put on him.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m totally fine with that, but that is ass backwards on how Jerry shouldn’t done a tear down. Zunino and Haniger are offseason trades. Diaz, Cano, Gamel Colome, Pazos and Paxton are deadline guys. Before all the drama with Segura he was an offseason type guy but he was a guy that should’ve stayed and tried to rebuild his value by showing he was a team guy. In general role players, starting pitchers and bullpen arms have much more value at the deadline.

But I really do think it isn’t a rebuild if you don’t trade your best player. I know Diaz was coveted but Haniger is still the best player you don’t keep your highest WAR guy or whatever dumb analytics stat you want to put on him.

It's the Mariners, everything is done ass backwards.