• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

From Lookout Landing...Felix as Closer

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bring in the King to close?

I like the idea, love the sound of it, but think it would be a failure. Felix’s biggest problem over the last couple of years have been the first inning. It’s inevitable that he gives up at least one run almost every game he started before settling down for a few innings. He’s already proven not to be willing to adjust his approach which spells disaster as a one inning pitcher.

Love the idea but not good for anything but a way to market Felix.

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry but I don't think Felix is going to be good for much of anything for what's left of this team in 2019. Sounds like maybe Seager and Gordan are going to be around for a while too. Sounds like Dip might be riding down the middle of the road....not committing totally one way or the other IMO

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand the logic behind the idea, but pitching just one inning is not going to save Felix. As @Seahawks_3 pointed out, Felix struggles his first time through a lineup.

It's a creative attempt at making Felix serviceable, but I don't believe he would be an effective closer. I think we need to accept that Felix is done and we have to suffer through him for one last year. Unless Felix suddenly makes a C.C. Sabathia-type transformation, he's going to be a burden on us and it'll be painful to watch.

Fingers crossed he had an epiphany and realizes he needs to make adjustments if he wants to continue playing baseball, but I don't think that's a safe bet to make. Only time will tell.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand the logic behind the idea, but pitching just one inning is not going to save Felix. As @Seahawks_3 pointed out, Felix struggles his first time through a lineup.

It's a creative attempt at making Felix serviceable, but I don't believe he would be an effective closer. I think we need to accept that Felix is done and we have to suffer through him for one last year. Unless Felix suddenly makes a C.C. Sabathia-type transformation, he's going to be a burden on us and it'll be painful to watch.

Fingers crossed he had an epiphany and realizes he needs to make adjustments if he wants to continue playing baseball, but I don't think that's a safe bet to make. Only time will tell.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would imagine that it is hard to go from elite starting pitcher to a closer. The mindset and the preparation is intense to be a closer. What I did not like from Felix this season is that when he got rocked as a starter I read that he was depressed and upset about where his career was going.

you can be that as a closer its like a kicker in the NFL if you miss a kick you need to move on and hit the next one. I feel when felix blows a save he will be down about it for weeks

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually wouldn’t mind it. People have brought up Felix struggling in the first inning. But closing is a pressure situation and Felix does well when he is pitching on adrenaline for short spurts during his starts though even in the first inning and he is really down to a change up and curve ball and most closers have 2 pitches.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it's not like they can move him to another team so why not try and find an actual spot for him instead of giving up runs as a starter

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is tough to really answer until we see who else is gone from the rotation. I'm under the assumption Leake is probably gone. I'd rather Felix stay in the rotation just so we arent tempted to push some of the younger guys up.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see a problem in experimenting with this since we're not going to be that good anyways... May not be a bad idea with all those innings under his hat... Plus, he'd be able to give it all in 1 inning instead of trying to steward/conserve it as much as possible as a starter...

I do see what others have pointed out as a concern as well... How many first batter, first pitch HR's have we seen him give up over the past few seasons... Definitely more than what we were accustomed to...

But overall, why not give him a try... I'd rather try to make sure we're solidifying our starting rotation for the future than let Felix tie up one of those spots taking time away from developing our starters...

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's his out pitch?

His biggest weapon as a starter was the difference in speed between fb and change, and that's something that a lot of closers have relied on as well.

It's 100% gone for Felix.

I'm struggling to figure out what stuff Felix has that would make him effective from the bullpen.

Msfann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its not like they are going to win much in the next couple of years anyway, I say give him a shot. He's earned that much. If we were competing right now I would be more concerned. If they are going to suck may as well give the King a chance.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's his out pitch?

His biggest weapon as a starter was the difference in speed between fb and change, and that's something that a lot of closers have relied on as well.

It's 100% gone for Felix.

I'm struggling to figure out what stuff Felix has that would make him effective from the bullpen.

This is where I'm at too. Just trying it for the sake of trying it doesnt make sense to me. I'd prefer his arm to stay in the rotation because its not like there's a ton of depth there right now. I also dont care who the closer is or if they even have one. Its not really important

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its not like they are going to win much in the next couple of years anyway, I say give him a shot. He's earned that much. If we were competing right now I would be more concerned. If they are going to suck may as well give the King a chance.
You're right that it really doesn't matter.

I'm fine if it happens, but I don't understand any reasoning behind it.

Somebody mentioned Smoltz, but he was only in the pen because he had just had TJ surgery. He was able to get all of his stuff working again very quickly, and could easily have gone back to a starter role, but stayed in the pen because it ended up really fitting the needs of the team for several seasons. It probably extended his career because he didn't have to go 6 every outing, but his great stuff was pretty much always there. He was back as a starter for the last several years of his career. I don't see Felix as an analog to him in any way.

But yeah, since he's just dead weight and it doesn't really matter what role he plays, maybe it's worth it just for the novelty of seeing him throw from the pen. I'd tune in a few times.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I actually respect this his contract I believe is up after next season so for all he has done for us I think we owe it to him to not throw him around the pitching staff he might not even want to be a closer

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still to me it’s not a bad idea at all to try. Worst case scenario he is just as bad there as a starter. It makes sense to me for A. I think he would be better in a closer role where only pitches one inning and theoretically is coming in after another bullpen arm who throws much harder. B. It makes sense for the organization as it leaves a little carrot for all the weirdo’s in the King’s Court to maybe still have them pay for tickets.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bring in the King to close?

I like the idea, love the sound of it, but think it would be a failure. Felix’s biggest problem over the last couple of years have been the first inning. It’s inevitable that he gives up at least one run almost every game he started before settling down for a few innings. He’s already proven not to be willing to adjust his approach which spells disaster as a one inning pitcher.

Love the idea but not good for anything but a way to market Felix.

Mariner's FO: "God damn... I LIKE THE SOUND OF THAT! You're Hired!"
Seahawks_3: "Yah but I don't want the jo-"
Mariner's FO: "FUCKIN HIRED! $30M over 2 years for guidance!"
Seahawks_3: "Look I'm flattered but I really just do-"
Mariner's FO: "$100M!"
Seahawks_3: "o.O"

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariner's FO: "God damn... I LIKE THE SOUND OF THAT! You're Hired!"
Seahawks_3: "Yah but I don't want the jo-"
Mariner's FO: "FUCKIN HIRED! $30M over 2 years for guidance!"
Seahawks_3: "Look I'm flattered but I really just do-"
Mariner's FO: "$100M!"
Seahawks_3: "o.O"
Sign me up!!

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the idea but I don't think Felix will have the mindset. Just be better to leave him in 5th spot and watch the runners cross the plate.