• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

From ESPN Insider-Mason?

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From ESPN Insider...interesting:

Goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov wasn't the only potential upgrade in net for the Philadelphia Flyers.

Tim Panaccio of CSNPhilly.com discloses how Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren and his counterpart with the Columbus Blue Jackets recently met to gab about a possible deal. But the focus wasn't on forward Jeff Carter or the Blue Jackets' 2011 eighth overall draft pick:

"... the discussions that Holmgren had at the draft combine recently with Columbus GM Scott Howson weren't about Carter or the pick. At that time, sources said, it was a dinner to discuss a deal that would have brought goalie Steve Mason to the Flyers.

Shortly after, the Flyers reconsidered and ended up making a deal with Phoenix to get Bryzgalov's rights. The Flyers have until July 1 to sign the Russian or he becomes an unrestricted free agent ..."

Panaccio reports Holmgren continues to chat with Howson about a trade for the Blue Jackets' top pick, but a deal involving Carter remains unlikely. A package involving defenseman Matt Carle and/or forward Scott Hartnell is one possibility.

If the Flyers can't get such a deal done with the 'Jackets, they may want to speak with the New York Islanders. GM Garth Snow's squad is reportedly willing to move the Isles' No. 5 pick.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not sure i would've liked adding mason, would've depended on what the flyers sent the other way.. he definitely has a ton of potential, but he was kinda shakey this year

i do really like the fact that homer is trying to get a top 10 pick though, the flyers are in desperate need of prospects that will be ready in the next year or 2

WOOTPOKER

Why you heff to be mad?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
yeah i saw the mason rumors and was left scratching my head a bit. not really sure why homer would pursue mason when there are several better options out there. also, mason's still very much unproven and this team needs a more or less "sure thing" in net at this point especially given snider's mandate.

also...i was thinking today while at work..maybe homer traded our first rounder away to get versteeg because he anticipated that it would be a lower first round pick anyway and we'd more than likely be acquiring one in the offseason in a salary dump trade?
i mean not like i agree with the constant first rounders being traded, but maybe all along homer knew that a guy like carter, hartnell, carle would probably be gone in the offseason for a first rounder and figured he could afford to lose our own? who knows. because all these rumors lately involve top 10 first round picks, which is awesome.

i really, really think the flyers should give a long hard look into inquiring about edmonton's #1 pick as well as a young forward. they could simultaneously get 2 great young guys on EL contracts, solve the cap, fix the farm, and sign bryz.

perhaps a deal like carter for the #1 overall and paajarvi-svensson? maybe we'd still have to sweeten the deal a bit..
carter/carle for the same return? idk just a lot of thoughts ive been tossing around

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good points woot its like getting value for your number 1 pick last year and then pulling another one back this year....kind of like leveraging your money. I like it if that's what Homer ends up doing.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was reported a couple of days ago that Snow could move up or down in the draft. This is what Garth does every year. It's just due dilligence. Besides Garth keeps everything very close to the vest. Things only get out if he wants them too. People have been fired for telling the media stuff. Garth enjoys playing games come draft time. So this is nothing new.The biggest question for Islanders fans this offseason is how much money is Chuck willing to spend? We won't know until August 2nd if a new arena is going to be built. So until then I expect the Islanders to remain a cap floor team.