• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agents 2021

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This table shows the amount of times the 49ers use 3 wides........not much.

Don't think its worth obtaining Julio Jones if we're not going 3 wides very often. Don't think its a good idea for Aiyuk or Samuel to share time, this is when both should be very productive.
Our sets run very much against the league trend. We use lots of 2 TE formations and 2 RB formations--way more than the rest of the league. With talent like Kittle and Juice, you don't want to take them off the field just to put in a 3rd WR, and b/c this runs against the league trends, defenses don't see nearly as much of it as they did 20 years ago.

So, I don't see the utility of trading for Julio. Not to mention the fact that we should probably hang onto our future draft picks seeing as how we don't have 1st round picks in 2022 or 2023.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Our sets run very much against the league trend. We use lots of 2 TE formations and 2 RB formations--way more than the rest of the league. With talent like Kittle and Juice, you don't want to take them off the field just to put in a 3rd WR, and b/c this runs against the league trends, defenses don't see nearly as much of it as they did 20 years ago.

So, I don't see the utility of trading for Julio. Not to mention the fact that we should probably hang onto our future draft picks seeing as how we don't have 1st round picks in 2022 or 2023.
Yep, we already gave up future draft capital so that isn't something we can trade.

Maybe Julio Jones has one more GOOD season in him but realistically he's not a long term fixture. Why give up so much cap space for this?

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, we already gave up future draft capital so that isn't something we can trade.

Maybe Julio Jones has one more GOOD season in him but realistically he's not a long term fixture. Why give up so much cap space for this?
Exactly what I was thinking. Not sure I'd trade much for him (he's 32 and coming off one of his worst seasons). To top it all off, he's got a base salary this year of 15M. That just doesn't seem to fit in SF. I could see him fitting in, both in terms of draft capital and cap space a place like Indy or LAC, and it would take some serious cap moves for GB or NE to get enough space for him.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly what I was thinking. Not sure I'd trade much for him (he's 32 and coming off one of his worst seasons). To top it all off, he's got a base salary this year of 15M. That just doesn't seem to fit in SF. I could see him fitting in, both in terms of draft capital and cap space a place like Indy or LAC, and it would take some serious cap moves for GB or NE to get enough space for him.
I'm not saying they would... but what if they traded youth for experience and gave up either Deebo or Aiyuk in exchange for Julio and a few draft picks? I shutter as I type this. But somehow, it wouldn't surprise me.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we signed WR Marquise Lee just a few days ago. Well, we have now cut him and signed a DL Bennie Fowler.

I'm not saying they would... but what if they traded youth for experience and gave up either Deebo or Aiyuk in exchange for Julio and a few draft picks? I shutter as I type this. But somehow, it wouldn't surprise me.
What if? They'd be making this year and next year an "all-in" move. It would shock the hell out of me mostly b/c Jones has such a high cap number and our current WRs are productive and cheap.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We didn't do it at QB. I find it hard to believe we'd do it at WR.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
"While it would be a luxury pickup to some extent, acquiring Jones would immediately push the 49ers into that upper echelon of Super Bowl contenders, assuming he’s healthy. The major concern would be that the hamstring injuries that plagued him last year, coupled with his age and wear, could mean you’re buying in on a guy on the decline."

We already know Julio is in decline and hamstring injuries is a red flag. After a long solid career at WR, not surprising he has a lot of wear and tear. Anyway, sign him a player at $15M and then HOPE he stays healthy, didn't we learn our lesson with Ford? i don't think we need to add another WR right now, especially at $15M.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I shutter too, haaaa

Don't see this happening at all.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So we signed WR Marquise Lee just a few days ago. Well, we have now cut him and signed a DL Bennie Fowler.

What if? They'd be making this year and next year an "all-in" move. It would shock the hell out of me mostly b/c Jones has such a high cap number and our current WRs are productive and cheap.
Good point.

Aiyuk looks like a solid WR and is on his rookie contract. Samuel has at least one more year on his rookie contract.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We have limited ability to pull anything off... but I'd be shocked if the front office wasn't on the phone with Atlanta. Kyle loves "his kind of guys" and Jones is one of those guys. We don't have draft capital, so seems like any trade discussion would need a player with upside and a low cap hit to solve Atlanta's cap issues. I'm just throwing shit out there because I figure Kyle is trying to figure out a way to get Jones on the team, lol. :lol:

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not a free agent but damn, the Chiefs saw us coming on this one. A complete bust from the day he got here.
We knew he had prior back issues before we traded for him. As Solomon Thomas has been our biggest draft bust, Ford is easily our biggest FA/Trade bust. It's like Gabe Wilkins all over again.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We knew he had prior back issues before we traded for him. As Solomon Thomas has been our biggest draft bust, Ford is easily our biggest FA/Trade bust. It's like Gabe Wilkins all over again.

You want to give a LITTLE slack on draft picks, because they haven't played in the NFL yet. But no slack when you add veterans, the 'significant' veterans that you expect to start right away.

If someone wants to argue "no slack" a #3 overall (Soloman), thats fine too. But if so, wouldn't this also apply to Trey Lance?

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You want to give a LITTLE slack on draft picks, because they haven't played in the NFL yet. But no slack when you add veterans, the 'significant' veterans that you expect to start right away.
I agree that the FO should get very little slack on FA/trade misses. That's why the McKinnon and Ford moves have hurt so much.

If someone wants to argue "no slack" a #3 overall (Soloman), thats fine too. But if so, wouldn't this also apply to Trey Lance?
Eh, I'm not one to say "no slack" for draft mistakes, since there is a 50% success rate in rd 1. However, when you're picking 3rd you've got your pick of the litter except for 2 players. So, I'd argue that missing there hurts more than missing at 22. And as for Lance--if that's a miss, Shanny and Lynch will be sent packing, so it's safe to say there's no slack on that pick.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm cutting Lance no slack and even more so for Shanahan. Shanahan risked his job on this player so I hope he knows what he's doing.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm cutting Lance no slack and even more so for Shanahan. Shanahan risked his job on this player so I hope he knows what he's doing.

Shannahan doesn't need to worry should the 49ers fire him, he won't be unemployed long.

There is always risks in draft picks, we can only wait and see? I didn't like the trade up at first, but the reasoning for it is there.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't realize the 49ers did so well in re-signing critical players. They got everyone back they wanted and didn't lose any good players.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I didn't realize the 49ers did so well in re-signing critical players. They got everyone back they wanted and didn't lose any good players.
Yep, some of these FA's which ordinarily would've been lost, re-signed for 1 year. The reduced cap affected all teams, so other teams had to 'budget' their free agents too. If you're not going to get much more from other teams, you might as well be comfortable on the 49ers, PLUS try for a championship.

These FA's aren't going to stay another season so hopefully the injury issues this season, will be 'NFL normal'.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a critical season for this group. As you said, it’s the last season they’ll be together