• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agents 2021

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Makes sense because McKinnon and Coleman are gone so you Wilson as an experienced RB in the system. Wilson's issue is fumbling but thats a big issue, that's why its only a 1-year deal.

We can only afford Mostert, Wilson, Hasty, and another later round draft pick. MAYBE even add an UDFA like Wilson and Hasty?

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Makes sense because McKinnon and Coleman are gone so you Wilson as an experienced RB in the system. Wilson's issue is fumbling but thats a big issue, that's why its only a 1-year deal.

We can only afford Mostert, Wilson, Hasty, and another later round draft pick. MAYBE even add an UDFA like Wilson and Hasty?
I agree good signing. The 49ers need to clear cap space to try and resign Trent Williams and hopefully one of the CB free agents.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The DIFFERENCE between JG and Stafford is two 1st rounders plus a 3rd?! No not for me, not even close.

This is the problem when you give your QB a HUGE new deal AND you're wrong. You end up doing "desparate" deals trading away high draft picks. Not knocking the Rams for trying to sustain their window but IMO this is a very desparate deal.

If you can't add 1st round picks year after year, it catches up to you fast.

Imagine what draft capital Watson would command?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Two first-round picks, two second-round picks and a pair of young defensive starters is a steep price for any one player. Some teams would argue though that no price is too high for a 24-year-old franchise quarterback.

One of the possible hurdles San Francisco would have to clear in acquiring Watson is just the sheer number of assets it might take. They have their own first-round picks to work with, and their own second-round selections, so the draft compensation wouldn’t be difficult.

Where things could get potentially interesting, and sticky for San Francisco, is the players the Texans might want in return.

The 49ers have a number of young players a team may covet in a trade, but given the nature of the situation with a franchise QB on the other end of the deal, the Texans’ starting point for negotiations would likely begin with Nick Bosa and Fred Warner.

It’s hard to imagine San Francisco would deal their franchise’s defensive cornerstones along with all the picks. A quarterback is important, but dealing Bosa and Warner would effectively signal a complete rebuild for a defense San Francisco already spent three years piecing together. Watson is great and quarterback is the most important position on the field, but blowing up the foundation of the defense that spearheaded a Super Bowl run just a season ago seems drastic.

Sorry but we aren't trading for Deshawn Watson, we simply can't trade away this kind of draft capital. We can't go into the next two drafts without our 1st AND 2nd round picks.

Trading two 1st and two 2nd's is already too steep for me but adding in two defensive starters, doesn't make sense. We have a good defense but not a SOLID defense. We can't give up two good starters on the D side cause then we can't complete in the play-offs.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our notable FAs this coming offseason:
CB R.Sherman, K.Williams, J.Verrett, A.Witherspoon, E.Moseley
S J.Tartt, M.Harris
DE S.Thomas, R.Blair, K.Hyder, E.Ansah
DT DJ Jones,
OT T. Williams
OG T.Compton, D.Brunskill
C B.Garland, H.Grasu
FB K.Juszczyk
RB T.Coleman, J.McKinnon
WR K.Bourne, T.Taylor
TE R.Dwelley, J.Reed
QB Mullens, Beathard, Rosen

SO many considerations.
--if we keep Grop, we have to assume he'll get injured and miss a lot of games, but ALL of our backup Qbs are FAs
--T.Williams is easily our biggest and best FA, but will he be willing to take what we'll pay?
--our top 5 CBs from the last 2 seasons are all FAs at the same time (who let that happen?)
--Juice is a great player for us, but we can't overpay for a FB again
--Richberg hasn't worked out at OC, we have to upgrade at center, but all our other options are FAs, conversions or rookies
--Hyder was a great addition at DE, but considering what we paid Armstead, we shouldn't need him as badly as we do
--we have to be ready to lose a few of the defensive FAs to Saleh's new regime in NY

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Our notable FAs this coming offseason:
CB R.Sherman, K.Williams, J.Verrett, A.Witherspoon, E.Moseley
S J.Tartt, M.Harris
DE S.Thomas, R.Blair, K.Hyder, E.Ansah
DT DJ Jones,
OT T. Williams
OG T.Compton, D.Brunskill
C B.Garland, H.Grasu
FB K.Juszczyk
RB T.Coleman, J.McKinnon
WR K.Bourne, T.Taylor
TE R.Dwelley, J.Reed
QB Mullens, Beathard, Rosen

SO many considerations.
--if we keep Grop, we have to assume he'll get injured and miss a lot of games, but ALL of our backup Qbs are FAs
--T.Williams is easily our biggest and best FA, but will he be willing to take what we'll pay?
--our top 5 CBs from the last 2 seasons are all FAs at the same time (who let that happen?)
--Juice is a great player for us, but we can't overpay for a FB again
--Richberg hasn't worked out at OC, we have to upgrade at center, but all our other options are FAs, conversions or rookies
--Hyder was a great addition at DE, but considering what we paid Armstead, we shouldn't need him as badly as we do
--we have to be ready to lose a few of the defensive FAs to Saleh's new regime in NY
No question we'll lose good players, but so will other good teams.

The above shows we have a lot of holes and i'm not expecting to re-sign Trent Williams. He won't agree to be the 5th or 4th highest paid LT, especially coming off a Pro-Bowl season. This is why i have a hard time trading away multiple high draft picks, this is fastest and most cap friendly way to fill these holes.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No question we'll lose good players, but so will other good teams.

The above shows we have a lot of holes and i'm not expecting to re-sign Trent Williams. He won't agree to be the 5th or 4th highest paid LT, especially coming off a Pro-Bowl season. This is why i have a hard time trading away multiple high draft picks, this is fastest and most cap friendly way to fill these holes.
I too will be surprised if we resign Trent. Reports are that he wants a deal bigger than what we're willing to pay.

And this could be the year we finally see a 1 or 2 used on a CB. We haven't seen that since Jimmie Ward (who was really a safety) and the pure CB prior to Ward? Shawnte Spencer.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The DIFFERENCE between JG and Stafford is two 1st rounders plus a 3rd?! No not for me, not even close.

This is the problem when you give your QB a HUGE new deal AND you're wrong. You end up doing "desparate" deals trading away high draft picks. Not knocking the Rams for trying to sustain their window but IMO this is a very desparate deal.

If you can't add 1st round picks year after year, it catches up to you fast.

Imagine what draft capital Watson would command?
I feel like the Rams had to trade the extra 1st due to their cap situation and needing to convincing the Lions to take back Goff's terrible looking contract. The Lions will now use these next few years of rebuilding to eat that terrible cap hit while hopefully enjoying the extra 1st for doing so. If a change scenery makes Goff a better player it's a bonus for them. They didn't do the Stafford trade because it was a swap of QB's. They'd probably have been happier to just take 1st and a 3rd in this current draft for him if that offer was on table.

It kind of sounds like they let Stafford have some say in where he went as well. He picked the Rams out of the offers they had on the table, and they worked to get the best deal possible out of them. I read somewhere the Panthers were offering #8 in this year draft which would seem to be much more valuable than the Rams offer, but again it seems like the Rams front office out of respect to Stafford got him to a contended team.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I feel like the Rams had to trade the extra 1st due to their cap situation and needing to convincing the Lions to take back Goff's terrible looking contract. The Lions will now use these next few years of rebuilding to eat that terrible cap hit while hopefully enjoying the extra 1st for doing so. If a change scenery makes Goff a better player it's a bonus for them. They didn't do the Stafford trade because it was a swap of QB's. They'd probably have been happier to just take 1st and a 3rd in this current draft for him if that offer was on table.

It kind of sounds like they let Stafford have some say in where he went as well. He picked the Rams out of the offers they had on the table, and they worked to get the best deal possible out of them. I read somewhere the Panthers were offering #8 in this year draft which would seem to be much more valuable than the Rams offer, but again it seems like the Rams front office out of respect to Stafford got him to a contended team.

The Rams were in a bad situation no matter because of Goof.....ur.....Goff......not becoming a top NFL QB. They're still in a tough spot cause not having 1st round picks (Jalen Ramsey) WILL affect your team. Not having future 1st round picks won't allow you to replenish key spots and/or replace high cap hits. So what they ended up doing is moving the "tough spot" to a different place, but are still in a bad situation.

Seems to me this trade moved all of it into one more "all or nothing" season? I guess this could make sense knowing they have a decent team plus future problems with 1st rounders? Anyway, after 2021 it catches up them and they STILL can't draft in Round 1. Ah shucks!

We need to fill key spots at Edge, LT, and CB; so we REALLY need our 1st and even 2nd round picks. Even if we fill in the following draft, we need those high picks to fill key spots and nowadays, almost every spot is a 'key' spot. If we don't fill via the draft our cap will be in a horrible situation in no time.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need to fill key spots at Edge, LT, and CB; so we REALLY need our 1st and even 2nd round picks. Even if we fill in the following draft, we need those high picks to fill key spots and nowadays, almost every spot is a 'key' spot. If we don't fill via the draft our cap will be in a horrible situation in no time.
I agree. Our cap situation means we really need our draft picks to work out. We saw that with just a few injuries on the team.

Imo, for FAs on this team, Hyder should be a serious target at Edge. He should be a rather low cost veteran on the end that we signed for 1.5M who would only get better numbers across from Bosa, so a 1 or 2 year deal would appeal to him, but when you consider that he's 29, this might be his last shot at a real LTD that we could get at a low per year average.

Aside from that, and the looming pro bowl LT about to leave, our FAs aren't big priorities. Sure, we'd like to bring back verrett and Tartt, but we must protect against time lost to injury for both of them. Which one will accept that kind of per game roster bonus protection?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I wish Tony Dungy was 100% right, but i'll have to admit JG has some inconsistencies in his game. He's an above average NFL QB and MAYBE a tier 2 QB, but not top level.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Veteran Center Alex Mack has expressed interest in reuniting with Shanahan so if he were willing to take the right kind of deal to be on a potential Super Bowl contender he might be a good short term answer to the Center position.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Veteran Center Alex Mack has expressed interest in reuniting with Shanahan so if he were willing to take the right kind of deal to be on a potential Super Bowl contender he might be a good short term answer to the Center position.
There are some good Center prospects so was hoping 4th round? MAYBE the value becomes too good and we draft one late 3rd? But ok, at that point in the draft who knows how many will be left, and if they fit?

Ok, if we can't fill everything via the draft, Mack MIGHT work for one season?

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are some good Center prospects so was hoping 4th round? MAYBE the value becomes too good and we draft one late 3rd? But ok, at that point in the draft who knows how many will be left, and if they fit?

Ok, if we can't fill everything via the draft, Mack MIGHT work for one season?
It is unlikely every need can be filled through the draft. So if Mack is indeed willing to take an affordable contract I think he is a perfect option for a one possibly two year deal.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is unlikely every need can be filled through the draft. So if Mack is indeed willing to take an affordable contract I think he is a perfect option for a one possibly two year deal.
I think that is the key. He just wrapped up a big money long term deal and he's 35. Will he take less than what the most the market will pay him? No doubt, it would be nice to have him here, if only for a couple of years.

Dr Robert

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First QB options Keep Jimmy, trade for Watson, draft QB
2, Release Richberg, Sign Lindsay from GB, draft C
3.Dont sign T. Williams, Sign Villanueva Pitt LT, draft LT
4. Dont sign J. Verrett, Draft CB and draft SCB
5. Draft Edge= Pass Rush
Nugget Size

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/202...***********&utm_medium=dt&utm_campaign=affref

The more you look at it, the more you think a draft picks beats Sam Darnold?! Sam Darnold hasn't "flashed" enough talent over three seasons, even on a bad team with a bad Head Coash, there should've been more "flashes"?

A draft pick will be molded into Shannahan's system for one year, and will be under a rookie contract. He isn't projected to be a quality starter, just a quality back-up same as you'd view Darnold in this article. BOTH options have risks so i'll go with the risk having much less cap issues. Its like re-doing a CJ Beathard pick, excpet don't over-reach this time. :-)

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The more you look at it, the more you think a draft picks beats Sam Darnold?! Sam Darnold hasn't "flashed" enough talent over three seasons, even on a bad team with a bad Head Coash, there should've been more "flashes"?

A draft pick will be molded into Shannahan's system for one year, and will be under a rookie contract. He isn't projected to be a quality starter, just a quality back-up same as you'd view Darnold in this article. BOTH options have risks so i'll go with the risk having much less cap issues. Its like re-doing a CJ Beathard pick, excpet don't over-reach this time. :-)

I don't think trading for Darnold makes any sense when we already have 1st Round QB from that Draft on the roster. Jimmy is mostly likely our Starter next year. If Watson is available we absolutely should an make offer, but I would not mortgage years of Draft picks away for him. I'd offer #12, Bosa, 2021 1st and nothing else without more compensation in return.

I know some will disagree with trading Bosa and ideally I'd want to keep him, but this is a roll of the dice that I think favors us. Bosa's trade value is still very high and the Texans need a Pass Rusher after losing Watt which might make them value Bosa even more. There is a scenario here where Bosa is never the same player again. A lot of his game is based on his explosiveness and after a 2nd ACL surgery you have to question how much of that he might never get back. The 1st Round pick next year, assuming Watson stays healthy for us, should be in the 20-32 range. That's basically given the Texans 3 1st Round Picks for him. Even then I imagine another team will go way over that offer.

The only other scenario's where Jimmy is not the QB is if something really crazy happens like Green Bay deciding to move on from Rodgers. Ryan or Cousins getting cut, Dallas letting Prescott hit Free Agency or a Top 3 QB in the Draft unexpectedly falling to us at #12.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In terms of FAs:

--QB--
I doubt we'll see a trade for Darnold, since they'll want a lot for him and I don't see us giving up much more than grop himself. We're probably stuck with Grop for another year. I don't think Cam can run this offense (though, like Winston, he'll be a lot cheaper than expected), Like others have said, I think it's smart to hang on to Rosen as a #2 or #3, and he'd be smart to stay in SF with a guy like Shanny if he has any dreams of ever starting again.
--LT--
We already know T.Williams gone at LT. That means either move McGlinchy to LT or we can sign one in FA. Most accomplished LTs will be out of our price range imo. Having said that, Villenueva (steelers) is a good choice if he's cheaper than what TW was looking for (he will be and the Steelers are cap strapped). There is no doubt that he's been very durable and he's an average to above average LT, so he should be more affordable than TW no matter what (though I think TW will be surprised at the FA offers he actually gets). Beyond him, Jason Peters could be a short term fill in for a year or so if we're careful with him and give him a contract that pays him based on games played (per game roster bonuses).

OTOH, if we're really interested in drafting a LT (Brown), then we might consider trading for Bmore's LT last year. They're looking to move him, but he wants a LT type deal. Still, he's very young and he played well at LT last year, so if you want him, now is the time to get him. He's easily worth a 2nd (in addition to the LTD), but I think some other team will offer more.
--CB--
We'll need plenty of CBs, so good news is that there are a lot of older, but accomplished Cbs out there. P.Peterson, D. Kirkpatrick, D. Dennard, Bouye, Breeland, etc. Even some reclamation projects like Hargreaves, Conley, and Rhodes.
--Edge--
We'll only be looking at cheaper edges, which either means young, unproven guys (ala Shaq Barrett 2 year ago), who are a big gamble, or aging vets. To be honest, Hyder is probably our best option as he knows our system and he did pretty well as our only real pass rush threat (thanks again A.Armstead!). Then again, someone like T.Murphy, R.Kerrigan, or even bring back Blair if he could stay healthy.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://www.************.com/articles/145092-chris-simms-sees-three-options-49ers-upgrade/

I would go with Option 1 because JG is good enough to win the SB, He isn't elite nor a tier 1 NFL QB, but he can win it. He has great chemistry with teammates and he already knows the offensive scheme, no learning curve. That alllows us to use the 12th pick to fill another hole LONG TERM such as LT or CB.

Option 2 is ok if they feel someone is a franchise QB. Someone who suits our offense really well but not so much others, but it only makes sense if they're projecting franchise.

I do not like Option 3 at all, if you have to tout Darnold's athleticism and physical abilities, then you're in trouble. An NFL QB needs the intangibles and Darnold hasn't even flashed that. You might as well try out Rosen who hasn't flashed intangibles either.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would go with Option 1 because JG is good enough to win the SB, He isn't elite nor a tier 1 NFL QB, but he can win it. He has great chemistry with teammates and he already knows the offensive scheme, no learning curve. That alllows us to use the 12th pick to fill another hole LONG TERM such as LT or CB.

Option 2 is ok if they feel someone is a franchise QB. Someone who suits our offense really well but not so much others, but it only makes sense if they're projecting franchise.

I do not like Option 3 at all, if you have to tout Darnold's athleticism and physical abilities, then you're in trouble. An NFL QB needs the intangibles and Darnold hasn't even flashed that. You might as well try out Rosen who hasn't flashed intangibles either.
I think we end up staying with Jimmy
but I do see a scenario where Shanahan and Lynch decide adding an extra 23 million in cap space out weights what Jimmy G provides to the team. If Shanahan becomes convinced that one of these QB's in the Draft could do as well and possibly better for a fraction of the cost then we have a new QB next year.

We'd be able to keep the Free Agent we want and aggressively go after others with around $48m in cap space. That might not be a terrible move considering how many good players will likely be on the market with cap causality cuts expected to be very high this year with the cap dropping $16m. Free Agents this year are also not looking at a good market to drive up their price with so many teams strapped for cap space. $48m to spend and a lot of good players looking for work would allow us to fill out our roster with a lot of talented players.

The trade off would be how much Draft capital are we losing on this, and with the QB being the most important position in football we can't afford to miss on the pick. We won't go very far with a talented roster and no QB, but this is where I like the idea of bringing back Alex Smith. Alex can give us most of what Jimmy does while being cheaper and a better mentor to Rosen and whoever we Draft. We might not be setup to win the Super Bowl next year, but with a QB on a rookie contract and a stacked roster we'd be sitting pretty good for the following 3 years.