• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

free agent shopping list

• Thread starter cubzzzfanincali
  • Start date
C

cubzzzfanincali

So the Bears don't have tons, but have some $$ for free agent signings. Who would you like us to sign?

Obviously we can't get all of these guys, but some of them would be great....here's my list:

1. Antrelle Rolle. Safety is a cheaper position, so free agent $$ gets more mileage here, and signing an established safety would really free us form having to use a #7 pick on a generic position like safety.

2. Brandon Spikes. Probably best inside linebacker available, and reason for safety also applies to ILB.

3. Jason Worilds. Serviceable 3-4 OLB. Shouldn't be overly expensive. Wouldn't mind Orakpo either, but I suspect he will fetch a higher price than he is worth.

4. Terrance Knighton. Probably the most expensive signing on my list, but assuming Denver doesn't resign him, maybe he'd like the idea of playing for Fox/Fangio. Even though a 4-3 vet, he has played a two-gap system, and would probably be a great fit here.

5. Mike Iupati. This is a longshot, but if we could sign him, and if Slauson comes back healthy, we could move Long to tackle and have a shot at having a decent line.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All free agents will fetch more than they are worth.

Right now on offense, the biggest hole is probably Fullback. If we are becoming a running team, fullback is a place to get a guy for that short yardage punishing running.

We all talk of our big receivers, but the difference makers are guys like Edelman, Welker, Amendola are a guy we dont have.

Replace Jennings, make him that nickel guy. Yeah, they cost, well, some of them do.

I would rather get a few one year deal guys after all the commotion is finished so this regime is not content with trying to fill holes with big money free agents.

Just tired of paying all this money for what guys have done. We will see if there is a push to de emery this team.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thing is, there are a host of Denver and 49'r Defensive guys who are entering F/A status. With both coaches now Bears coaches, I could see some F/A moves from Denver/9ers to the Bears because of familiarity with the schemes these new coaches run and to fill holes.

C

cubzzzfanincali

I would rather get a few one year deal guys after all the commotion is finished so this regime is not content with trying to fill holes with big money free agents.

Agree completely that the emphasis should be on solid longer term deals, not one or two year stopgaps.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree that FA are more expensive. They are cheaper in the big picture. Rookies cost less yes. But with FA you know what you are getting. With rookies a full half of them will be busts. FA is a great tool when used right. Emory did not use FA the right way. But for us we need youth so for that reason I am against FA this year.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree that FA are more expensive. They are cheaper in the big picture. Rookies cost less yes. But with FA you know what you are getting. With rookies a full half of them will be busts. FA is a great tool when used right. Emory did not use FA the right way. But for us we need youth so for that reason I am against FA this year.

Yeah, but if you draft right, then the busts cost you a fraction of what bust FAs cost you.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, Cutler is useless… but your answer is Mark Sanchez?

Okay. :scratch:
Sanchez no. But I would rather roll with flynn or Mallett or Hill. And Cutler is not useless the other teams love him.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but if you draft right, then the busts cost you a fraction of what bust FAs cost you.
There should be no FA busts. You know what your getting, these guys already proved they belong. FA done right is a beautiful thing. Unfortunately not many do FA the right way and we are in that group. Right now I want draft picks not FA,s. But I'm not of the mind that building through the draft only is the way to go. I believe a healthy combo is the best. I think our staff will use FA the right way when the time comes. I hope anyway.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There should be no FA busts. You know what your getting, these guys already proved they belong. FA done right is a beautiful thing. Unfortunately not many do FA the right way and we are in that group. Right now I want draft picks not FA,s. But I'm not of the mind that building through the draft only is the way to go. I believe a healthy combo is the best. I think our staff will use FA the right way when the time comes. I hope anyway.

I agree with your analysis, but would weight it 65/35 or 70/30 in favor of drafting for building a successful nfl team. I consider both Jared Allen and LaMarr Houston free agent busts. Houston could turn it around, but I doubt Allen does. Allen costs 8 million a year and Houston 7 million a year. Look at those contracts in relation to Clowney, the first pick in the draft, who's paid about 5.5 million a year. Even if Clowney busts, he doesn't have a contract as bad as Houston or Allen. Then you need to take into account that teams will try to hang onto their best players, so the truly elite players rarely hit free agency.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree, also add that drafting right allows you to get some bust Free agents that wont destroy the team.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It really has not worked out with knowing what you are getting. Fine, same scheme, same coaches, you should get what you expect. But when we get a bust with Jared Allen when all his highlight plays are on turf and play on sloppy grass you dont get what you should have expected unless the city would decide on field turf..

Where were the good signings? Bushrods first year, had plenty to prove, New Orleans felt he was replaceable. Slausen, first year, great, basically made us all forget that he was the butt fumble guy with sanchez. That was his big ass that Sanchez face planted. Had plenty to prove. Houston, nothing, Young, a young DE from the Lions had plenty to prove, prove he deserved to be paid in detroit.

The only one I can say we got what was expected what Bennett, both on the field and off the field. He is a ticking time bomb like Marshall.

All the experts agree, you cannot build from free agency. Fill a few holes and get onto the draft.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now on offense, the biggest hole is probably Fullback. If we are becoming a running team, fullback is a place to get a guy for that short yardage punishing running.

our biggest hole is FULLBACK?

our biggest hole IS FULLBACK?

our biggest HOLE IS FULLBACK?

our BIGGET HOLE IS FULLBACK?

OUR BIGGEST HOLE IS FULLBACK?

SO WE GET A FULLBACK AND MOST OF OUR WORRIES ARE OVER

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I thought the same thing when I read that. Well, at least the poster doesn't claim to be much more than another idiot.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Albert Haynesworth?

Come on Noon, there are free agent busts ALL THE TIME. I mean, I know what you are saying, free agents definitely up the level of confidence, but they are no guarantee either. Sure, a healthy mix, agreed. The original point I was trying to make is that some positions you can buy cheaper known "likely to succeed" guys than at other positions, and therefore we should focus the free agent money on those positions and free up the draft needs for the expensive and more talent-rare positions.

Well all want draft picks, but we only have so many. The main thing is to get those we have to pan out.

C

cubzzzfanincali

I agree with your analysis, but would weight it 65/35 or 70/30 in favor of drafting for building a successful nfl team. I consider both Jared Allen and LaMarr Houston free agent busts. Houston could turn it around, but I doubt Allen does. Allen costs 8 million a year and Houston 7 million a year. Look at those contracts in relation to Clowney, the first pick in the draft, who's paid about 5.5 million a year. Even if Clowney busts, he doesn't have a contract as bad as Houston or Allen. Then you need to take into account that teams will try to hang onto their best players, so the truly elite players rarely hit free agency.

I think you are way off on Houston. He was our best run defender last year. No, he wasn't a pass rushing artist, but at the risk of reminding everyone of how terrible our 2012 run defense was, and why he was brought here, he succeeded in doing that until he got hurt.

Assuming, of course, that he comes back more or less the same from injury, I wouldn't describe him as a bust at all.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

on offense. you are not changing receivers, tight end, we dont want to pay another left tackle money to push Bushrod to the right, got guards, signed garza and dlp for center, forte, cutler is going nowhere, where are you gonna add a difference maker on offense other than actually having a fullback?

Who do you want to cut and replace with 30 million dollar dead money contracts on the offensive side?

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are way off on Houston. He was our best run defender last year. No, he wasn't a pass rushing artist, but at the risk of reminding everyone of how terrible our 2012 run defense was, and why he was brought here, he succeeded in doing that until he got hurt.

Assuming, of course, that he comes back more or less the same from injury, I wouldn't describe him as a bust at all.

To me, anyone we pay that much for should be more than just a run stopper... Granted Houston did get into the backfield a bunch (hurries stats), but it wasn't enough for my taste. Same feeling with Allen. I thought later in the year, when he put size back on, he actually played the run fairly well, but he didn't get any real consistent pass rushes in. We paid way to much for limited productivity. Jay too.

C

cubzzzfanincali

on offense. you are not changing receivers, tight end, we dont want to pay another left tackle money to push Bushrod to the right, got guards, signed garza and dlp for center, forte, cutler is going nowhere, where are you gonna add a difference maker on offense other than actually having a fullback?

Who do you want to cut and replace with 30 million dollar dead money contracts on the offensive side?

I don't know, I won't complain if we bring in another interior lineman and/or another tackle. I would definitely do something on the line before worrying about fullback.