• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agent Moves in Preseason

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no issues with Stidham at all. Obviously BB does, he see's something that he doesn't like could be reading the D, decision making on the fly, not looking off defenders no one really knows what the deal is and I prefer not to speculate.
If this is the case, then why not just release him?? BB isn't doing him an favors by forcing him to sit on the sidelines and twittle his thumbs. If he's punishing him, that makes it even worse. The kid apparently had enough tools and ability to be drafted in the fourth round to sit behind Brady for a year. Now that might be a problem that no one wants to discuss. Brady was here for twenty years and not other QB that the Patriots drafted ever became anything. JG might be better than average, but none have ever blossomed into anything. Makes me wonder how good Brady was or how much he of his knowledge he actually shared.

OR.............Is BB as bad at drafting QBs as he has been at drafting WRs??

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this is the case, then why not just release him?? BB isn't doing him an favors by forcing him to sit on the sidelines and twittle his thumbs. If he's punishing him, that makes it even worse. The kid apparently had enough tools and ability to be drafted in the fourth round to sit behind Brady for a year. Now that might be a problem that no one wants to discuss. Brady was here for twenty years and not other QB that the Patriots drafted ever became anything. JG might be better than average, but none have ever blossomed into anything. Makes me wonder how good Brady was or how much he of his knowledge he actually shared.

Why release him when he's already been offered a 4th? This is part of the chess match if BB does plan to get rid of he also plans to get something for him, if he can bump that to a third then great.

A lot of people appear to have the talent in college and when the get to the next level get a huge wake up call Harry comes to mind. Then conversely you could draft a QB in the sixth round that ends up being the greatest to ever play the position. Where a player is drafted matters little, it's more about can he adjust his game to be a quality player at the NFL level. It does not appear this is the case with Stidham. So BB would rather say nothing because if he does he devalues any trade offer.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Read the article in post #33. You might just get the answer you are demanding!

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read the article in post #33. You might just get the answer you are demanding!
So BB didn't do his homework??

Palmer isn’t going to say anything bad about Stidham and he’s certainly not going to knock any of the work he’s done with him over the years, so he pointed the blame at Briles and Malzahn. It’s not necessarily the job of head coaches to prepare QB’s to play in the NFL, college coaches are mostly concerned with, ya know, college football.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So BB didn't do his homework??

Palmer isn’t going to say anything bad about Stidham and he’s certainly not going to knock any of the work he’s done with him over the years, so he pointed the blame at Briles and Malzahn. It’s not necessarily the job of head coaches to prepare QB’s to play in the NFL, college coaches are mostly concerned with, ya know, college football.
GG drafted a QB in the 4th that he thought might become a player.
Why will you not accept the greatest coach in history making decisions and giving it time to play out?
1st gme is in 2 weeks. Do you want to know the score now!
Just wait - and try to enjoy. You do this every year.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why release him when he's already been offered a 4th? This is part of the chess match if BB does plan to get rid of he also plans to get something for him, if he can bump that to a third then great.

A lot of people appear to have the talent in college and when the get to the next level get a huge wake up call Harry comes to mind. Then conversely you could draft a QB in the sixth round that ends up being the greatest to ever play the position. Where a player is drafted matters little, it's more about can he adjust his game to be a quality player at the NFL level. It does not appear this is the case with Stidham. So BB would rather say nothing because if he does he devalues any trade offer.
Where's Charlie when you need him. He started a thread within a thread a ways back and proved drafting does matter. Of course there are the outliers like Brady and Montana and even Tony Romo (undrafted), but most truly successful QBs are 1st rounders.

But to your bigger point (agreeing with you), you don't ever blindly cut a player, especially in BB's world where you look for a return value in any move. Even conditionally trading 7th rounders has some value (the condition being the team receiving the player finishes in a worse drafting position). With Stid we can do better than that unless more than two fingers on his throwing hand fall off...

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Matt Cassel worked out pretty good. Jimmy G worked out pretty good. Jacoby Brisset started for the Colts and will be a reliable backup anywhere he goes. Ryan Mallet started for several teams. Mac jones has serious potential but we'll see.

According to you Jarret Stidham is the NFL version of the 2nd coming of Christ and BB drafted him. Shocking that such a shitty GM was able to draft such an elite talent in the fourth round and nobody else grabbed him with their first.

Oh, and there's this man named Brady. You may have heard of him.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Patriots drafted Rohrwasser a year ago and then picked up Nordin, who still has to beat out the veteran Nick Folk!
Wow! Does that remind you of our QB situation? I wonder why they don't just cut the veteran Folk (Cam )now?

Maybe we'll let this play out?

"[Right now we] feel like all those players are good players," Belichick said of his quarterbacks before Thursday's practice. "Brian has the most experience. Cam had a lot of experience last year. Jarrett has had some off-and-on opportunities. He'll continue to get opportunities and so will Mac. We'll just see how it goes."

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Cassel worked out pretty good. Jimmy G worked out pretty good. Jacoby Brisset started for the Colts and will be a reliable backup anywhere he goes. Ryan Mallet started for several teams. Mac jones has serious potential but we'll see.

According to you Jarret Stidham is the NFL version of the 2nd coming of Christ and BB drafted him. Shocking that such a shitty GM was able to draft such an elite talent in the fourth round and nobody else grabbed him with their first.

Oh, and there's this man named Brady. You may have heard of him.
Don't overlook Hoyer who also started for a couple...ok a lot of teams.

Or Klingsberry, who had more football IQ than skill but something was there.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never said anything like that. You assume to know my mind. I just wanted the kid to have a chance, more than what BB gave him under Brady and surely last when he stuck with a bag of shit and never waivered. It appears that he realized he had some weaknesses and went out on his own to find what was available to correct them and improve. Even the guys like Tom House said that he was making huge strides.

Belichick might be the greatest head coach ever, but he's not infallible. You think he's the second coming of Christ and I think he has some evident weaknesses. I don't think he should be crucified, but I do think he has an ego that sometimes can get in the way of better decision making.

I agree with Southie and let camp play itself out. The important word is "play". If everyone gets an equal shot, so be it. If BB puts Stidham in the dog pen to give Mac more reps, then everyone isn't getting an equal opportunity.

Final question. What if Mac isn't what everyone thinks he is? What if Mac can't cut it? Sign Cam for 5 years $150M?

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never said anything like that. You assume to know my mind. I just wanted the kid to have a chance, more than what BB gave him under Brady and surely last when he stuck with a bag of shit and never waivered. It appears that he realized he had some weaknesses and went out on his own to find what was available to correct them and improve. Even the guys like Tom House said that he was making huge strides.

Belichick might be the greatest head coach ever, but he's not infallible. You think he's the second coming of Christ and I think he has some evident weaknesses. I don't think he should be crucified, but I do think he has an ego that sometimes can get in the way of better decision making.

I agree with Southie and let camp play itself out. The important word is "play". If everyone gets an equal shot, so be it. If BB puts Stidham in the dog pen to give Mac more reps, then everyone isn't getting an equal opportunity.

Final question. What if Mac isn't what everyone thinks he is? What if Mac can't cut it? Sign Cam for 5 years $150M?
Let's all vote on it and agree Belichick needs to abide by our decision.

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good question. If Mac isn't what everybody thinks he is then I guess we hopefully sign Rodgers next year and then once again look to the draft.

That said, my opinion is Mac is our next franchise QB.

In my opinion, the Pats don't need some other worldly QB. They need a smart QB with a decent arm that protects the ball and makes quick/good decisions(see Tom Brady). I think Mac has that but we'll see. From what little I've seen of Mac he has a little Brady in him in that he's a good leader that let's his players make plays.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mac, from the games I watched him play at Alabama looks like a very good game manager. He had some incredible WRs playing with him and could bail him out of most situations. The Patriot's OL should be good enough to give him an extra look if he needs it, but the WRs he's working with aren't bullets or Velcro hands. Sure wish he had JE11 and Danny A to give him that little bit of extra confidence.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This doesn't belong here. It probably doesn't belong in "Stupid News" either since it isn't news. Maybe we should start a new thread called "Stupid Questions"? Actually, the question isn't all that stupid so we'll have to name it "All-time dumbass answers to premature questions"...

What happened? You met BB and he ignored you, then stepped on your foot as he walked away?

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tyler released - again. Malik Gant back - again.