• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agency 2023

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Niners resign LB DFF.

Niners also resign DT TY McGill to a 1 year deal.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Packers sign Niners former 3rd rd pick, safety Tarvarius Moore.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The comp formula is players gained vs. players lost. Each outside player signed cancels out one player lost. We'll be losing a lot more players than we sign.

No doubt we'll be getting the max of 4 comps, with one likely being a 3rd rounder. We got a 5th rounder for DJ Jones, who signed a 10M/yr deal in Denver last year and this year Ebukam and Omenihu both signed similar contracts (9-10M/yr), so we could end up landing 5ths for them as well. It'll be interesting to see what Al-Shaair signed for, but I don't see it being 10M/yr. From the look of their contracts, Moseley and Ward look like 6th round comps. And we can only get 4, so landing a 3rd, 2 5ths and a 6th would be pretty nice.
Yeah ok, it does appear we'll be near the max and also have one of them be a 3rd. Granted, free agency isn't over yet, but don't see any more BIG signing at this point.

Isaiah Oliver knocks it down but don't think enough to jeopardize a 3rd round comp. We may lose a 5th or 6th, but still see the net loss getting a 3rd.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Niners sign Raiders DE Clelin Ferrell to a 1 year deal. He'll be another reclamation project like Arden Key and Kerry Hyder.

Niners also sign Falcons CB Isaiah Oliver to a 2 year deal. He's being brought in as the nickel back. Looks like they're gonna keep Demo on the outside.

The team decided not to tender LB Demetrius Flannigan-Fowles, making him a free agent. That move surprises me a little with us losing Al Shaair, I figured DFF would be one of the first guys to get a crack at the starting lineup.
I saw on Youtube that they're higher on McCrary-Ball.

I would also think they're high on Curtis Robinson, just based on him making the initial 53 last season?

It does make sense to keep younger guys if they're close in talent. This helps the cap situation going forward a few years.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Niners resign LB DFF.

Niners also resign DT TY McGill to a 1 year deal.
We must be set at DT by now?

By signing yet another DT, makes you wonder how they view Khalia Davis? Not judging Davis either way, but IF they viewed him highly, would they need another DT in McGill?

I have to believe they'll draft a DT even if late rounds. It might be a simple NT to counter Jason Kelce, but a DT nevertheless.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
"The 49ers currently are in line to be awarded four additional compensatory picks in the 2024 NFL Draft because of their net losses, OverTheCap.com projects.

The maximum number of draft picks any one team can be awarded for free-agent losses is four, and OTC projects the 49ers receiving picks at the ends of the third, fifth, sixth and seventh rounds.

The 49ers already were guaranteed a special compensatory selection at the end of the third round next year (and in 2025) for losing DeMeco Ryans (Houston Texans) and Ran Carthon (Tennessee Titans) this offseason to head coach and general manager jobs, respectively.

The NFL’s formula to determine compensatory picks for losses in free agency takes into account a player’s average salary per year, playing time and playoff awards.

According to OTC's projections, the 49ers’ loss of quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo to a contract scheduled to pay him $24.25 million annually cancels out the team’s addition of former Philadelphia Eagles defensive tackle Javon Hargrave at $21 million annually.

The departure of right tackle Mike McGlinchey ($17.5 million a year with the Denver Broncos) is expected to land the 49ers a third-round draft pick in 2024, while Samson Ebukam’s $8 million average with the Indianapolis Colts currently is worth a fifth-round selection.

Quarterback Sam Darnold's addition cancels out the loss of Jimmie Ward to the Texans, OTC projects.

Then, the 49ers are in line to receive a sixth-round pick as compensation for losing Emmanuel Moseley to the Detroit Lions and a seventh-rounder for Hassan Ridgeway to Houston.
"

The four comp picks will be reduced with the Isaiah Oliver signing and maybe Myles Hartsfield, but doesn't seem like we'll lose the 3rd and 5th.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Niners sign S Myles Hartsfield. He was with the panthers under Wilks. He's got experience at S, CB, and NCB. So it'll be interesting to see where he plays for us. He might just be signing here to be a ST replacement for the loss of T.Moore. .

Niners resign TE R.Dwelley. Ross has been a big disappointment imo. We still need to draft a TE who is more of a receiving threat.

DE J.Willis signs with the Raiders.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Niners sign NYG OG/OC John Feliciano. He was a starter for the Giants last year, but it looks like he could be the replacement for Brunskill--the backup at both OG and OC.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Niners sign S Myles Hartsfield. He was with the panthers under Wilks. He's got experience at S, CB, and NCB. So it'll be interesting to see where he plays for us. He might just be signing here to be a ST replacement for the loss of T.Moore. .

Niners resign TE R.Dwelley. Ross has been a big disappointment imo. We still need to draft a TE who is more of a receiving threat.

DE J.Willis signs with the Raiders.

I'm surprised they're re-signing Dwelley, cause if he was a good receiver, he'd have played more.

Anyway, agree we still need another TE but think they'll TRY to draft a balanced one? A TE who isn't the best receiver nor best blocker, but does both about the same. We will be drafting late 3rd so can't expect the best TE prospect.

Thought we'd resign Willis as opposed to Hyder, but i'll guess the Raiders offered more than 'minimum'? I'm ok if they don't add any more vet DE's, we should draft one anyway. We won't be able to draft a top Edge prospect, but maybe we get a pure speed guy for "obvious passing downs"? He won't be a good overall DE, but if he can flat out speed rush..............

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get we need decent back-up at Center, but this isn't encouraging for Poe or Zakelj.
I worry less about that... the front office accomplishes two things here without creating cap issues. They add depth (which is soooo important on the oline) and light a fire for other players. If it lights a fire for players that they think are behind where they should be, all the better. Even if they are closer to where they think they should be, it's all good. These aren't skill player divas we're talking about, where feelings matter as much :-)

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I worry less about that... the front office accomplishes two things here without creating cap issues. They add depth (which is soooo important on the oline) and light a fire for other players. If it lights a fire for players that they think are behind where they should be, all the better. Even if they are closer to where they think they should be, it's all good. These aren't skill player divas we're talking about, where feelings matter as much :-)
Yes, its not about hurt feelings, players get replaced every year.

This move implies (not confirms) neither Poe and Zakelj are as good as we were hoping. Being late round picks, not expecting solid starters but had hoped one or the other might fill the solid back-up role that Feliciano is filling.

Why would we rather have Poe and Zakelj pan out, becauise they're both on rookie contracts for another 3 years. Feliciano is on a one year deal. It is always better to have your draft picks pan out, vice Free Agents.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting that we trade for the Panthers exkicker Z. Gonzalez. That pretty much slams the door on Gould. But I hear that he wants 6M/yr and that is the reason that he's still unemployed.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Interesting that we trade for the Panthers exkicker Z. Gonzalez. That pretty much slams the door on Gould. But I hear that he wants 6M/yr and that is the reason that he's still unemployed.
I was expecting them to draft a PK and if that didn't work out, then sign a FA.

Would someone else had signed Gonsalez before the draft, i'd think no.

Gould was simply too costly, similar to Jimmy Ward, McGlinchey, Ebukam, etc. We want them but the cap is the cap, we already have a lot of highly paid players. We can do this now because our QB's are on their rookie deals.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that teams can generally pick players up and it not effect their comp picks in the following year...

Part of me wonders why we haven't brought in Tom Compton to be competition at RT. He stepped in pretty well for McGlinchey back in 2021. And he is still a FA, so he'd likely come on a very cheap deal. Why not Let he and McKivitz battle it out at RT and see what happens?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I like the addition of hargraves
We all do.

This is the type of move you make when you have legit SB contending team. Yes, it'll hurts the future cap bad, but you get these final pieces when you're "that close".

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Now that teams can generally pick players up and it not effect their comp picks in the following year...

Part of me wonders why we haven't brought in Tom Compton to be competition at RT. He stepped in pretty well for McGlinchey back in 2021. And he is still a FA, so he'd likely come on a very cheap deal. Why not Let he and McKivitz battle it out at RT and see what happens?
IMO we fans are underestimating Mckivitz, similar to us underestimating Banks and Brendal last season. Pretty sure Tom Compton is now past his prime and IF so, prefer McKivitz who's entering his.

Isn't Matt Prior competing for RT too?

BTW - The big concern for me is TW's back-up.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO we fans are underestimating Mckivitz, similar to us underestimating Banks and Brendal last season. Pretty sure Tom Compton is now past his prime and IF so, prefer McKivitz who's entering his.

Isn't Matt Prior competing for RT too?

BTW - The big concern for me is TW's back-up.
To paraphrase Major League, I'm not sure Tom Compton ever had a prime. I agree somewhat on McKivitz as I remember him stepping in admirably at LT in the Rams game.