• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

franchise quarterback

flaraider

The Real Deal
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see a variety of opinions throughout the league, what is the board opinion, is there one in this upcoming draft?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bortles has all the tools to be one. His biggest asset to me is he has been very good in the clutch and that usually translates well to the NFL. Manziel I think can do fine if he goes to the right team. If you ask him to be the top guy on the team I think he will crumble. Bridgewater is going to be one of those very consistent almost Alex Smith type guys in my opinion. He will win you games but unfortunately you are going to be looking to upgrade if you can.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bortles has all the tools to be one. His biggest asset to me is he has been very good in the clutch and that usually translates well to the NFL. Manziel I think can do fine if he goes to the right team. If you ask him to be the top guy on the team I think he will crumble. Bridgewater is going to be one of those very consistent almost Alex Smith type guys in my opinion. He will win you games but unfortunately you are going to be looking to upgrade if you can.

Bridgewater has a stronger arm than Smith, but I can see the comparison outside of that because they are great decision makers. But Alex Smith with an arm to get it downfield could be a great QB.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bridgewater has a stronger arm than Smith, but I can see the comparison outside of that because they are great decision makers. But Alex Smith with an arm to get it downfield could be a great QB.

I agree he could be. I like Alex Smith as a quarterback and think he is underrated. I do think a team could build a franchise around him and expect good things. Now yes I don't expect guys like Smith and Bridgewater to be able to just take over games and be that top guy on the team but I can expect them to make sound decisions that won't cost the team games either. They are the type that they allow the other team to beat themselves.

To me right now Bortles has the highest ceiling while Bridgewater has the highest floor. I could see Bortles out of the league in 3 years where Bridgewater he is going to somehow find a way to be in this league the next 15. I could also see though where Bortles becomes a top 5 guy in this league and is that next Matt Ryan or Ben Roethlisberger.

flaraider

The Real Deal
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:agree:
that's pretty much what I see too, he seems to have the tangibles, anyone that's going to take snaps in Oakland this year is going to need to be able to absorb some punishment.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been preaching Mettenberger and I feel he will be the best QB in this class when it's all said and done.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been preaching Mettenberger and I feel he will be the best QB in this class when it's all said and done.
He was really frustrating to watch in college. While he has a lot of upside, his bust potential is at least 75%

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see a lot of potential "quality starters" but no "franchise" quarterbacks

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was really frustrating to watch in college. While he has a lot of upside, his bust potential is at least 75%

It's okay that you are wrong I am comfortable with my assessment.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's okay that you are wrong I am comfortable with my assessment.
We're all entitled to our opinions at this point. I wouldn't mind the Rams drafting him around Rd3 just on the off chance that he lives up to his potential. Who do you think he compares to? He has a cannon arm and pro system knowledge but he isn't nearly as accurate as say Mallett was at this stage.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're all entitled to our opinions at this point. I wouldn't mind the Rams drafting him around Rd3 just on the off chance that he lives up to his potential. Who do you think he compares to? He has a cannon arm and pro system knowledge but he isn't nearly as accurate as say Mallett was at this stage.

Not sure what his recovery is looking like, and like any rookie QB they have to end up with the correct team. He is most often compared to Big Ben not sure I would compare him to any QB those comparisons don't make a lot of sense to me because a kid can have the potential and be drafted by the Browns, then all the skills, upside, etc are useless.

I would love for the Pats to grab him.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm pretty high on Mettenberger also assuming his ACL heals.

I saw him play @ LSU maybe 5 times...if I had to equate his game to a pro of today...don't laugh now, but honestly I would say Brady, only bigger.

Of course I'm not saying he's going to be like Brady or even close, but he's got the arm, he's not real mobile, maybe takes more chances because of the cannon...he'll get in your face if you're not doing your job.

On the OP's topic...I'm somewhat lost on what a franchise QB is...imo if you get a 2nd NFL contract as the QB, you're the face of the franchise...I think Bortles has the best chance only because he's likely to go to HOU with a stronger supporting cast.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bortles is my top QB pick for this draft. I'm not sure if he will end up a franchise QB right away but he has the tools and the brains to make it happen IMO. I would hope that he gets to hold the clipboard for a season.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the OP's topic...I'm somewhat lost on what a franchise QB is...imo if you get a 2nd NFL contract as the QB, you're the face of the franchise...I think Bortles has the best chance only because he's likely to go to HOU with a stronger supporting cast.
By my definition, franchise QBs make players better. Rivers, Brees, Big Ben, Brady, Peyton, Rodgers? Franchise QBs. Plug guys in and they'll still produce.

Then you have starting level QBs. Palmer, Flacco, Eli, Bradford, Dalton. They need players around them to play at a high level and dont really make players play better than their talent.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
obviously its jimmy garoppolo

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably one 10-year-starter from the first 6 or 7 qbs taken

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By my definition, franchise QBs make players better. Rivers, Brees, Big Ben, Brady, Peyton, Rodgers? Franchise QBs. Plug guys in and they'll still produce.

Then you have starting level QBs. Palmer, Flacco, Eli, Bradford, Dalton. They need players around them to play at a high level and dont really make players play better than their talent.

Good post...I would've confused most of that 1st group with elite since we hear that term so much these days but one and the same kind of.

I look at Matt Ryan, Romo, Flacco as a franchise QBs, but not elite.

flaraider

The Real Deal
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thanks guys good food for thought, I had a Bortles on my screen but now with Mettenberger out of the first round that creates another option.

:suds:

steelerstew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ask me in about 4 years. I don't care which college team they play for, let them get into the NFL and see what they do. How many 1st round franchise cant miss have missed. Draft a QB that fits into the system, and if it is a good fit, then they can be the franchise QB.