• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Found out our back up QB

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,057.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports the Texans and Brian Hoyer are "headed for a divorce."

Per Rapsheet, "both sides sound OK with a fresh start." The Texans have tried to claim this wasn't the case, but it's been the obvious endgame since they lavished $72 million on Brock Osweiler. Due $5.25 million in the final year of his contract, Hoyer can likely be acquired for a day-three draft pick. His status may not be resolved until Ryan Fitzpatrick and Colin Kaepernick know their 2016 fates.

A quality back up QB that can even play decent starter for a short time, if need be. lets face it if we lose Romo for a season. Season is over for us no matter who we bring in to play back up.
& I have never been convinced we are drafting a QB this year.

As far as Hoyer goes (if/when released) If being honest knows he will be playing back up, but with the Cowboys one (some believe likely) injury from being the starter of the Dallas Cowboys.

I would take Hoyer as our Back up QB easily.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dallas is holding money and pre/post June 1st cuts will have players.
Hoyer playing to the role (#2) wouldn't be bad...I'd still draft QB and plan on rolling with 3 all year...and I liked Moore late last season. Competition is never a bad thing

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports the Texans and Brian Hoyer are "headed for a divorce."

Per Rapsheet, "both sides sound OK with a fresh start." The Texans have tried to claim this wasn't the case, but it's been the obvious endgame since they lavished $72 million on Brock Osweiler. Due $5.25 million in the final year of his contract, Hoyer can likely be acquired for a day-three draft pick. His status may not be resolved until Ryan Fitzpatrick and Colin Kaepernick know their 2016 fates.

A quality back up QB that can even play decent starter for a short time, if need be. lets face it if we lose Romo for a season. Season is over for us no matter who we bring in to play back up.

As far as Hoyer goes (if/when released) If being honest knows he will be playing back up, but with the Cowboys one (some believe likely) injury from being the starter of the Dallas Cowboys.

6th rounder to Houston, and I'm on board.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hoyer is Mr. Glass.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6th rounder to Houston, and I'm on board.
Why waste a 6th rounder on a guy that will be cut. Sign him to a veteran's minimum after Houston releases him.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,057.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why waste a 6th rounder on a guy that will be cut. Sign him to a veteran's minimum after Houston releases him.
doesn't matter where he goes, he will cost more than vet min. Cracks me up when people think we will get a pro bowl caliber player to play back up QB. He is the best logical back up I can think of.

tylerTX88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People also speculate that Josh McCown will be available after Browns draft a qb.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Usual Suspects.

Hoyer has been the guy I wanted all offseason. Let's see what happens. I don't think he will be cut and I don't think this team pays him $5M for the year. Maybe if we come out of the draft with nothing it will be worth trading for him and paying him, but if we go QB early I don't see us bringing in a clear #2 type as well. It's clear we can't go into the season expecting Kellen Moore to play the main role if Romo goes down and expect positive results. If we go QB at #4 it would likely be baptism by fire if Romo gets hurt.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
doesn't matter where he goes, he will cost more than vet min. Cracks me up when people think we will get a pro bowl caliber player to play back up QB. He is the best logical back up I can think of.
I don't know too many people who would call him pro bowl caliber.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoyer is as bad as every other QB still available, outside of a potential starter like Fitzpatrick

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's injury prone.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowboys
ESPN’s Ed Werder mentioned that current Browns QB Josh McCown could make sense for the Cowboys as a backup once he’s released.

“I think the team failed the backup quarterback as much as the backup quarterback failed the team,” Werder explained, via the Dallas Morning News. “That being said, Jerry said that they understood the importance of that position. And once they really did because they were paying Kyle Orton $5 million a year a few years ago and they justifying that by saying, ‘We recognize how important it is to have two quarterbacks you can win with.’ I don’t really understand the disconnect now given the experience they just had why they haven’t gone out and gotten a legitimate backup quarterback. Maybe it’ll be Josh McCown, who hasn’t been cut yet in Cleveland, if he gets cut at all. I think he would be an excellent choice for the job. Let’s see how it all plays out. But yeah, at this point, I’m surprised they only have what they do on the roster, that primarily being Kellen Moore and Tony Romo at the position.”

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowboys
ESPN’s Ed Werder mentioned that current Browns QB Josh McCown could make sense for the Cowboys as a backup once he’s released.

“I think the team failed the backup quarterback as much as the backup quarterback failed the team,” Werder explained, via the Dallas Morning News. “That being said, Jerry said that they understood the importance of that position. And once they really did because they were paying Kyle Orton $5 million a year a few years ago and they justifying that by saying, ‘We recognize how important it is to have two quarterbacks you can win with.’ I don’t really understand the disconnect now given the experience they just had why they haven’t gone out and gotten a legitimate backup quarterback. Maybe it’ll be Josh McCown, who hasn’t been cut yet in Cleveland, if he gets cut at all. I think he would be an excellent choice for the job. Let’s see how it all plays out. But yeah, at this point, I’m surprised they only have what they do on the roster, that primarily being Kellen Moore and Tony Romo at the position.”
I agree and disagree with this.
Disagree: They tried to do the same thing last year. They had Weeden and brought in Cassell. They made a strong attempt to fortify the position showing how important they think it is with a fragile Romo at the top of the depth chart. It just didn't happen to work out. You can only pay so much for a backup when you have a stud QB like Romo. No backup will beat him out and they know their only chance to play is injury.

Agree: As on 3/30/16 we clearly have done nothing to help us at this very important position. Moore IMO just does not seem to have the talent to be more than a #3 in this league and agree or disagree with that comment certainly doesn't seem good enough for me to risk the whole season on him making a huge improvement from the guy we saw last year. BUT,,,the offseason isn't over!!! We didn't even have the single most important part of the offseason yet. So I think is a reach and unfair to say the Cowboys "haven't gone out and gotten a legitimate backup quarterback" when it is still March

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,057.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know too many people who would call him pro bowl caliber.
which is my point. You cant expect to bring in a probowler to play back up (in the salary cap era)

Seems like any time anyone brings up a Back up QB, someone else is saying no because some flaw. makes me laugh. Obviously they are flawed which is why they are being considered for a back up position. Not a starting one.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,057.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Usual Suspects.

Hoyer has been the guy I wanted all offseason. Let's see what happens. I don't think he will be cut and I don't think this team pays him $5M for the year. Maybe if we come out of the draft with nothing it will be worth trading for him and paying him, but if we go QB early I don't see us bringing in a clear #2 type as well. It's clear we can't go into the season expecting Kellen Moore to play the main role if Romo goes down and expect positive results. If we go QB at #4 it would likely be baptism by fire if Romo gets hurt.
I agree if we draft one at 4 we don't make a move on any QBs, however I have always thought we wont be drafting a QB in the 1st round