• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Flyers so far

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is sort of what I'm expecting from the Flyers at a glance,

Forwards
L1: Scott Hartnell - Claude Giroux - Jakub Voracek
L2: Matt Read - Vincent Lacavalier - Wayne Simmonds
L3: Max Talbot - Brayden Schenn - Zac Rinaldo
L4: ????????? - Sean Couturier - ??????????
Reserves: Adam Hall, Tye McGinn, Eric Wellwood, Scott Laughton, Nick Cousins, Ben Holmstrom, Marcel Noebels, Alderson Brandon, Jason Akeson, Petr Straka, etc..

If I had to guess who takes the final 2 spots on the 4th line, I would guess Adam Hall & Tye McGinn, but who knows, maybe someone else will get the nod instead.

Defensemen
D1: Kimmo Timonen - Luke Schenn
D2: Mark Streit - Braydon Coburn
D3: Andrej Meszaros - Nick Grossmann
Reserves: Erik Gustafsson, Bruno Gervais, Oliver Lauridsen, Brandon Manning, Marc-Andre Bourdon, etc..

I think the Flyers would be a lot better if Oliver Lauridsen finds his way on the 3rd defensive paring. I like what he brings to the ice and I think he's better than Meszaros & Grossmann. Just my opinion tho.

Goalies
G1: Steve Mason
G2: Ray Emery
Reserves: Cal Heeter, Yann Danis, & Anthony Stolarz

If the Flyers need a backup, I would probably go with Cal Heeter to see what he's got. Otherwise go with Yann Danis if you really have to. Wouldn't try out Stolarz until he gets older.

Overview
I actually think the Flyers have put together a very good team this season. Last season's team seemed to lack balance, skill/depth at the blue line, a backup goalie, as well as poise. I think the Flyers have addressed all those issues well. They always had great offensive depth, but they got depth on defense & in goal. I actually think your roster is more impressive than my Pens right now. If I had to pick the winner of the Metro division, I would still go with my Pens (we really blew the division out of the water last season), but I wouldn't be shocked if the Flyers won it instead.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the lines and pairings will look a different than what you have listed.
1. Hartnell, Giroux, Voracek
2. Simmonds, Lacavalier, Schenn
3. Read, Courturier, Gagne???
4. Talbot, Hall, Rinaldo

1. Timmonen, Schenn
2. Streit, Coburn
3. Gustafsson, Grossman

Obviously, I still think they find a way to dump Mezsaros and sign Gagne. If they can't figure a way and have to keep Mez, I believe Laughton will start the season with the Flyers.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm interesting. For some reason I assumed they cut ties with Gagne, but if he's still in the picture I would probably include him in the lineup as well. Only reason I got Meszaros in the lineup is because of his contract; otherwise, I would go with Lauridsen over Meszaros as well.

recon

FLYERS
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rosehill and Hall will probably alternate back and forth in the pressbox.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Schenn-Lecavalier-Simmonds
McGinn-Couturier-Read
Talbot-Hall-Rinaldo

Timonen-Schenn
Gustafsson-Coburn
Grosmann-Streit

Mason
Emery

I really like this lineup, just a matter of us staying healthy. Two minor things I dont like, however, are McGinn on the 3rd line and Rinaldo playing the NHL.

My biggest worry is what happens with Mez, and if he steals Gustafsson's roster spot.

recon

FLYERS
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one has Laughton staying with the big club this season. Interesting...

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think the Flyers will be making a move or 2
Laughton will get a shot and Lauridsen should get a hard look.

Injuries will plat a factor asw ell as they always do. What I really like is the D_man depth. Im a little worried about proven scoring depth especially if one of our big guns goes down

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bourdon will be ahead of Lauridsen too.. I don't think Ollie will get much nhl time this season. He needs more ahl time IMO anyway.

I agree that Laughton will get a good hard look and I expect he'll win a roster spot.

Rosehill and rinaldo will be the forward scratches I expect.

Talbot. Laughton. Hall is the fourth line if I'm in charge.

Last edited by a moderator:

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Rinaldo gets scratched. Lavy loves him. He proved last year he is much more disciplined. He took less penalties and drew a ton to put us on the PP. I believe they are going to be working him in on the PK this year as well.

Progeriakid

Hanging Pork
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know its a long shot but I still feel Raffl finds a roster spot on the 3rd or 4th line, I like what I have read about him alot and his upside is nice.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know its a long shot but I still feel Raffl finds a roster spot on the 3rd or 4th line, I like what I have read about him alot and his upside is nice.

I think a lot of politics goes into setting the lineup tho, guys with bigger contracts seem to always get the spots over up & coming prospects. As a Pens fan, I can say that's what frustrates me most, so many prospects I would've played last year over Tanner Glass LOL

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting a lot of people picked Gustafsson to make the roster. IDK, I really thought Lauridsen was the Flyers best prospective dman last season. But I guess like someone posted he might need to develop some in the minors. I personally think he's a top 6 dman on the team already.

Progeriakid

Hanging Pork
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting a lot of people picked Gustafsson to make the roster. IDK, I really thought Lauridsen was the Flyers best prospective dman last season. But I guess like someone posted he might need to develop some in the minors. I personally think he's a top 6 dman on the team already.

I agree 100%, I hope he cracks the lineup, dude is gonna be a stud!

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree 100%, I hope he cracks the lineup, dude is gonna be a stud!

I think he will by the end of the season. Hopefully it won't be a result of injuries, but I do think he'll be a mainstay on the Flyers roster when it's all said & done.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Rinaldo gets scratched. Lavy loves him. He proved last year he is much more disciplined. He took less penalties and drew a ton to put us on the PP. I believe they are going to be working him in on the PK this year as well.

i like rinaldo too, i think he provides a spark the flyers need.. but they just have too many forwards that can do more, so i dont think he'll play on a regular basis until the injuries start coming in

lots of love for lauridsen with the new folks eh? i was pleased with the way he played, but i really dont see him as anything more than a 5/6 NHL guy if he develops to his full potential.. obviously i hope i'm wrong, but that's just how i see it

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i like rinaldo too, i think he provides a spark the flyers need.. but they just have too many forwards that can do more, so i dont think he'll play on a regular basis until the injuries start coming in

lots of love for lauridsen with the new folks eh? i was pleased with the way he played, but i really dont see him as anything more than a 5/6 NHL guy if he develops to his full potential.. obviously i hope i'm wrong, but that's just how i see it

Agreed. I see Rinaldo/Rosehill/Hall splitting time, and Lauridsen will (and should) start the season in the AHL. He still has a few things to work on at that level. As for his potential, certainly odds are he peaks as a 4-6 guy, and we should be happy if he reaches that level as a 7th round pick. He looks like he's on track to be a full-time NHLer in 2014-15.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if I have lots of love for him (he is a Flyer after all), but I was impressed with what I saw from him in the opportunities he was given & I thought that the Flyers were a much better team with him (in spite of all the injuries) than without him.

I think at the end of the day I don't think too highly of Meszaros & Grossmann, and Gervais & Gustafsson are very blah to me. Lauridsen sort of brings some Chara-esque attributes which give him a leg up over those guys, at least IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if I have lots of love for him (he is a Flyer after all), but I was impressed with what I saw from him in the opportunities he was given & I thought that the Flyers were a much better team with him (in spite of all the injuries) than without him.

I think at the end of the day I don't think too highly of Meszaros & Grossmann, and Gervais & Gustafsson are very blah to me. Lauridsen sort of brings some Chara-esque attributes which give him a leg up over those guys, at least IMO.

I just don't want to see him rushed, Doob. He has a lot of POTENTIAL, yes, but I truly beleive he'd benefit from at least one more year in the AHL. I don't want to Luke Schenn him.

Meszaros is a solid defenseman when healthy, he just hasn't been in awhile, and not sure he ever will be again. Grossmann needs to be paired with a solid puck-handler, otherwise he's a liability. Gustafsson has flashed potential, but is another guy who always seems to get hurt. Gervais shouldn't be in the NHL.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't want to see him rushed, Doob. He has a lot of POTENTIAL, yes, but I truly beleive he'd benefit from at least one more year in the AHL. I don't want to Luke Schenn him.

Meszaros is a solid defenseman when healthy, he just hasn't been in awhile, and not sure he ever will be again. Grossmann needs to be paired with a solid puck-handler, otherwise he's a liability. Gustafsson has flashed potential, but is another guy who always seems to get hurt. Gervais shouldn't be in the NHL.

I could respect that, you don't want to rush a dman before they're ready, but I don't think it will be like Luke Schenn in Toronto. Schenn was an 18 year old with lofty expectations when the Maple Leafs threw him into the fire; Lauridsen on the other hand is 24 years old & the only expectations from him should be playing 15 minutes a night on the 3rd defensive paring. I think there will be fewer risks & more rewards playing Lauridsen compares to playing Schenn when he was in Toronto. That being said, I doubt if Lauridsen will start right out of camp, I think there will be some vets that will take priority on the roster.

Perhaps they should play Grossmann with Streit if Grossmann needs to be paired up with someone who could handle the puck. Maybe then have Coburn paired up with Meszaros & have Timonen paired up with Schenn?

Hmm, at a glance I thought the Flyers had their blue line figured out but maybe it's still a work in progress. I guess that's why I'm always talking about Lauridsen, he just seems like an easy fix to the Flyers' blue line blues. Maybe I'm overrating him tho, I'll admit I've only seen him in a few games but he always seemed to have made an impact in those few games. We'll see tho, I really like what he brings to the ice.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But you know what, I fully admit that I might be overrating Lauridsen, I have a tendency to get on the bandwagon of any prospect that shows potential. Was very frustrating being a Penguin fan last season seeing them healthy scratch Beau Bennett & Simon Despres every game.