• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Flyers Sign Michael Del Zotto

Progeriakid

Hanging Pork
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a nice insurance to have if Kimmo takes a whiile to recover from the clots!

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like it but it wouldn't shock me if Kimmo is ready to come back fresh for a playoff run later in the season. Talk about depth if that happens! Plus a few of the young guns could make a splash in the AHL and be ready to go by that time. I'm really excited about this coming season will be fun....

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry for hating guys, but not a big fan of his game.

He's a liability on defense, shaky when it comes to holding the puck in the zone, and misses wide on a lot of open shots.

Not saying he's a complete scrub but I wouldn't look to him to replace Kimmo Timonen.

That said, the contract is a good deal for the Flyers. Very little risk involved, and they got him for a good price.

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry for hating guys, but not a big fan of his game.

He's a liability on defense, shaky when it comes to holding the puck in the zone, and misses wide on a lot of open shots.

Not saying he's a complete scrub but I wouldn't look to him to replace Kimmo Timonen.

That said, the contract is a good deal for the Flyers. Very little risk involved, and they got him for a good price.

agree on both-I just wish they would have explored other options.IMO,the only way they land a quality #1 d-man is by trade,and they'll have to give up quite a bit.This is a cheap quick fix.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

agree on both-I just wish they would have explored other options.IMO,the only way they land a quality #1 d-man is by trade,and they'll have to give up quite a bit.This is a cheap quick fix.

Yeah not a bad contract but they need more to replace Kimmo IMO.

Progeriakid

Hanging Pork
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah not a bad contract but they need more to replace Kimmo IMO.

Let us not forget the young guys who wanna make an impact at the pro level, all though he was not on the big club this year lets not forget how well he played last season due to injuries, Ollie Lauridson, also someone who everyone is high on is Ghost, yeah he's raw but he's hungry and who knows if he can crack the lineup.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let us not forget the young guys who wanna make an impact at the pro level, all though he was not on the big club this year lets not forget how well he played last season due to injuries, Ollie Lauridson, also someone who everyone is high on is Ghost, yeah he's raw but he's hungry and who knows if he can crack the lineup.

True, they should let their prospects get some shots this season. I would especially like to see what Gostisbehere could do in the NHL.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

or by letting the kids develop properly :)

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that's the key Awaz this takes the pressure off the young dmen for at least a year. I also don't mind taking a chance on a former 1st round pick who's still finding his game. He had flashes in NY so there's hope.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its a really good signing for a team that needed a defenseman on the cheap real quick. Its only 1 year so its no biggie if he's less than stellar. We did not sign him to be a top tier defenseman just a stop gap for the season until the kids are ready. If Timmo is ready to go earlier than we expected DZ is definitely better than Schultz. 1 year contract for very cheap and he can only get better. I don't see a downside here.

Abe Vigoda

Formerly NYR
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just thinking about this, in NYR and Nashville, those teams had deep defenses, so any little mistake MDZ made, those teams would hold it against him more - he's not perfect by any means but I think with the Flyers, they will have to play him no matter what so he will be able to make some mistakes yet learn from them and be better for it because he'll get the repetition of playing every night and not having to worry if someone is going to replace him

Exactly, in the very begins you had Tortorella riding this kids ass all the time and chaining him to the goal post. Finally he was given the green light to push the pace and/or join the rush. A.V. never gave him a chance; knock being not the best skater. Not sure about that, but just a log jam behind Mac, Staal, Girardi,Stralman and Jmoore.....he just fell out of flavor. This is a good signing for cheap. He has potential but I agree someone needs to lay off him and just let him play.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whoa, whoa, whoa. 1.3 million? That's more than we paid Jodi Shelley!

I like the signing. Worst case scenario, he goes away in a year.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whoa, whoa, whoa. 1.3 million? That's more than we paid Jodi Shelley!

I like the signing. Worst case scenario, he goes away in a year.

Ya I honestly can't believe that he came so cheap. I know he's on a downer but he's still a young dman with potential to turn it around. He was also highly touted and has played some pretty good hockey when he was on. They just need to build on his game and let him use his strengths as the poster above mentioned.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@BroadStHockey: Del Zotto tells @JeffMarek says he thinks he’s gonna wear No. 15 next year. Took a family vote.

greenfever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Price was right, the upside is there and really we didn't have many options. The bright side is we have many young defenseman so if it doesn't play out, maybe one of them gets a shot

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
saying all the right things for sure. very excited to see his game this year. of all the guys on the roster, he might be the most intriguing guy to me. (BSchenn and Couturier would round out my top 3)

Yep it'll be interesting to see what MDZ can do - and apparently he's been training really hard this summer so that's a good sign - I think at the very least he's a player that can't really get worse than he was last season, so there's nowhere to go but up, so this should be good for the Flyers

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
saying all the right things for sure. very excited to see his game this year. of all the guys on the roster, he might be the most intriguing guy to me. (BSchenn and Couturier would round out my top 3)

Two more guys that will be intriguing are Vinny and Mase. See if Vinny can bounce back and see if Mase can play consistent like last season