• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Flyers re-sign Kimmo

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it was certain that one of the young kids would step right in and do well then it'd be an absolute no brainer - Braydon Coburn has plenty of value, and I would love to see if we could get three second round picks like it was rumored last year

yep I agree. I just don't want to give one of the spots to ghost, morin, or hagg. make them earn it, don't rush them. a 1 year deal for timonen is perfect. in case of injury they can come up this year, and next year they have another opportunity to win a spot.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does this mean? If bonuses are reached it rolls over to next year? So we would lose cap space in 15-16?

Possibly - for example, if Kimmo Timonen makes all of his bonuses in 14-15(he would earn 4 million total), then the Flyers would lose two million dollars in cap space going into 15-16, whether he plays for the Flyers next year or not

It's not a big risk though, because if he doesn't play as often next season then he might not reach the full bonuses - we'll see

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd trade Coburn and let Alt make the team. The resurgence of youth can't be continued to be put off.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yep I agree. I just don't want to give one of the spots to ghost, morin, or hagg. make them earn it, don't rush them. a 1 year deal for timonen is perfect. in case of injury they can come up this year, and next year they have another opportunity to win a spot.

Totally agree - you can't just put a young guy in just to put a young guy in - every player has to earn a spot on the team

It would be real nice if one of those guys did earn a spot going into next season but even if they don't, the Flyers are still a playoff team and it'll be fun to watch them again - this isn't a one year plan, every team will have a few years where they don't win the cup, it's about sustaining long term success and being really good for a long period of time

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I's trade Coburn and let Alt make the team. The resurgence of youth can't be continued to be put off.

You can't just let Mark Alt make the team, like I said about the rest of the guys, they need to earn it - I'd love for them to earn it because it would make them better, but you don't just put young guys in just to put young guys in - they need to earn it

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't just let Mark Alt make the team, like I said about the rest of the guys, they need to earn it - I'd love for them to earn it because it would make them better, but you don't just put young guys in just to put young guys in - they need to earn it

I sort of agree but I'm not saying put Alt in to take Coburn's minutes. I'd much rather have a kid getting some sheltered NHL minutes over having a plug/big contract in that spot. I'm not just saying any kid, either. IMO the only guys that could benefit from NHL minutes now are Alt and Ghost.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Put me firmly in the "keep Coburn" camp. You need more Coburn's and less Grossmann's and Schenn's if you want to win the Cup. D-men with both size and speed are very hard to find. Yes, he has stretches when he makes too many boneheaded plays, but he also has stretches when he's borderline dominant. You can win the Cup with players like Coburn in your 3-4 roles, where he belongs, not so much with the plodding Schenn's and Grossmann's in your top 4.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kimmo you are the man for doing this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Put me firmly in the "keep Coburn" camp. You need more Coburn's and less Grossmann's and Schenn's if you want to win the Cup. D-men with both size and speed are very hard to find. Yes, he has stretches when he makes too many boneheaded plays, but he also has stretches when he's borderline dominant. You can win the Cup with players like Coburn in your 3-4 roles, where he belongs, not so much with the plodding Schenn's and Grossmann's in your top 4.

Luke Shenn is 24 years old. He was our best D-Man in the playoffs.
He has been in the top 3 in hits the last 3 seasons.

If we give him up we are idiots.

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luke Shenn is 24 years old. He was our best D-Man in the playoffs.
He has been in the top 3 in hits the last 3 seasons.

If we give him up we are idiots.

:agree: He's also picked up his shot blocking and is making much better first passes. It takes defense men longer to develop so giving up on him would be a huge mistake IMO.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Timonen is a trooper! Class act all the way. Unless they get a lot for Coburn I'd keep him he's mobile and perfect in a 3-4 role. Grossmann will most likely be the odd man out love the guys effort but he's hurt too often and slowing down. One of the young guys will most likely impress and make the team. People have to ease up on Luke he's getting better every year let the kid breathe! You need a few hard hitting stay at home guys look at the kings D they have a good mix.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good move IMO, he's a true leader for the team & they need that leadership for the coming years, especially when Hagg comes up. I could see Timonen being a great mentor.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice even better! You da man Kimmo!

soulxflare

Arrive. Raise Hell. Leave.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kimmo is easily one of the classiest, most loyal players in the league. Given the data from the past 2-3 offseasons, he could have easily gotten double this (w/o incentives) on the open market. This tells me that he wants to retire a Flyer, and he's willing to take less to help the team. Props to you, sir.

Hexy also deserves credit here. He made a solid move to bring back a veteran dman, who is still capable of playing at a decent level, at a nice cap-friendly deal.