• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Florida Panthers to Portland?

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winterhawks would be sold off.

And what, come back if the NHL fails? And how exactly does that happen, is it just "fuck the owner of the Winterhawks if he doesn't want to move/sell the team"?

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barkov is my dogs favorite player.

LOL @ Bark-ov

ok3m0g.jpg

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And what, come back if the NHL fails? And how exactly does that happen, is it just "fuck the owner of the Winterhawks if he doesn't want to move/sell the team"?

I believe that would have to happen for an NHL to come to Portland. I may have mis-stated the Winterhawks would have to be sold. Either they would be sold/moved to another city and at the very least the current owner of the WHL franchise compensated somehow prior to an NHL team coming to this town.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
blindbaby deserves the credit for this, but I bet comeds' dog also likes Brayden and Luke Chien.

DevilishWon

Don't ever play Lady of Spain again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quit goofing around. Someone called into a local sports talk station and said it might happen...that's good enough for me!

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quit goofing around. Someone called into a local sports talk station and said it might happen...that's good enough for me!

Dickie, Dickie, they've already built the rink! They've dumped a lot of capital into this!

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
south florida not a destination?? :noidea: great weather, great distractions, no state taxes....

It's a destination for most people for those great things, but to big name NHL FAs? It's not a hockey market, has a non-existent/consistent fanbase, there's not a lot of security, they're still far from contention, etc. etc. There are certainly guys that would go there, but my point being that if a FA has a few deals on the table from say LAK, NYR, and FLA, they're not choosing FLA unless the money is bigger to counter the other reasons to go to those other teams. Heck, Tampa is a better option. They're a bit more stable in the hockey operations area.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dickie, Dickie, they've already built the rink! They've dumped a lot of capital into this!

Don't think anyone could argue the fact that an NHL team or two should be place in the Norwest sector of the US. Portland is ready with a great facility in the Rose quarter already. Seattle still has to build one.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matty, I'm pretty sure esls meant Vancouver, Washington, but I could be wrong (lol)

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't think anyone could argue the fact that an NHL team or two should be place in the Norwest sector of the US. Portland is ready with a great facility in the Rose quarter already. Seattle still has to build one.

I'm guessing you missed the joke I was making

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matty, I'm pretty sure esls meant Vancouver, Washington, but I could be wrong (lol)

That was the beauty of it.

I don't have time to pick on the Canucks when the low hanging fruit that is the Oilers is so much more enjoyable.

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might as well move, no one comes to watch them in Florida. I'm watching the Avs play them right now and there are more empty seats than full ones. Colorado scored and it sounded like their fans cheered.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there really enough support for hockey in Portland to support both the Winterhawks and an NHL team? Seems pretty unlikely

I truly believe NHL would thrive in Portland. Winterhawks have a good following and have gained popularity with their recent success in these parts. Somehow he managed to support a MLS club, if MLS can do well here, NHL most certainly can.

Not really sure what would happen to the Winterhawks.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I truly believe NHL would thrive in Portland. Winterhawks have a good following and have gained popularity with their recent success in these parts. Somehow he managed to support a MLS club, if MLS can do well here, NHL most certainly can.

Not really sure what would happen to the Winterhawks.

The Winterhawks average what, maybe 6-7k fans per game? What do their TV numbers look like?

You might not have a full grasp of this unless you've ever lived in Canada but there's a pretty big and visible difference between a city that's able to support a major junior team and one that's able to support an NHL team.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Panthers have made the playoffs 4 times in their 20-year existence. As a result, they have a hard time attracting fans and selling tickets to games. For the 2013-14 season, the Panthers ranked 28th in league attendance. To make matters worse, their cable TV audience only reaches 4000 households, which has an effect on sponsorship deals. Rink board signage is less appealing to sponsors because their brand fails to make an impression on a large amount of fans. Of course, a winning team may bring people to the game and spark a larger television deal, but that is easier said than done. The team does not have money to pay players; they struggle to reach the salary cap minimum. If the Panthers continue to struggle financially, Florida will lose their team.

only 4000 households?? that has to be a misprint right? where can one find these facts.....