• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

First Trade of the Year

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Soptic seems like org depth. Then again, so did Kontos and Casilla

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Soptic seems like org depth. Then again, so did Kontos and Casilla

GP is posting some scouting reports that say otherwise. But I am OK if he does end up just being org depth. The trade frees up a 40 spot and rids the org if the 0-tool player that was Gonor.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2011 3rd round pick. 21 years old, spent all last year in A-Ball.

Gonor (living up to his name eh?) wasn't going to make this team and would've had to have been DFA'd otherwise. May as well get some value out of him.

According to the Giants’ press release, Baseball America ranked Soptic’s fastball as the best in the Chicago organization

He's got a big arm, but is extremely raw. Hits 100 mph on the gun and is an easy high-90s. Throws a slider, but inconsistent at times. He has trouble repeating his delivery, but cleaned that up a bit last year. ChiTown wanted to try him as a starter this year, but he has been purely a reliever thus far. This seems to me like a project and the Giants are the team perfect for working on it. More than Organizational depth.

Last edited by a moderator:

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was coming here to post this...

MSG, any insight on Soptic?

Nah, I don't follow the Sox as closely as the Giants, and I don't follow the Giants as closely (very detailed, minor leaguers, etc) as you guys do. I hadn't heard of the guy.

Looks like the Giants made a nice trade, not sure what the Sox are thinking but like gp said they are thin at 3B and I guess they have a lot of young arms.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone have ESPN Insider?

Gillaspie's role on south side - MLB Rumors Blog - ESPN

The teaser portion of this post says that the Sox's backup catcher is Hector Sanchez. I am sure they are just demonstrating their dumb-ass-ness (once again), but I wonder if there is some explanation in the actual article.

The Chicago White Sox are very right-handed when it comes to their lineup. Paul Konerko, Alexei Ramirez, Gordon Beckham, Jeff Keppinger, Alex Rios, Tyler Flowers and Dayan Viciedo are each right-handed batters, and all are expected to play regularly. That leaves Adam Dunn and Alejandro De Aza as the lone left-handed hitters, with backup catcher Hector Sanchez a switch hitter.

As a result, the club had been looking for a left-handed bat for the bench, reported Doug Padilla of ESPNChicago.com. The Sox made a deal Friday, reports MarK Gonzalez, for left-handed hitting infielder Conor Gillaspie.

Gillaspie's bat brings mild power and a solid approach, and he makes consistent contact. He has only 21 games of big-league experience, but he's a five-year pro out of Wichita State and should be ready for a part-time role.

As for the bold portion, here is the ACTUAL backup catcher http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/28619/hector-gimenez

Last edited by a moderator:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Chicago White Sox are very right-handed when it comes to their lineup. Paul Konerko, Alexei Ramirez, Gordon Beckham, Jeff Keppinger, Alex Rios, Tyler Flowers and Dayan Viciedo are each right-handed batters, and all are expected to play regularly. That leaves Adam Dunn and Alejandro De Aza as the lone left-handed hitters, with backup catcher Hector Sanchez a switch hitter.

As a result, the club had been looking for a left-handed bat for the bench, reported Doug Padilla of ESPNChicago.com. The Sox made a deal Friday, reports MarK Gonzalez, for left-handed hitting infielder Conor Gillaspie.

Gillaspie's bat brings mild power and a solid approach, and he makes consistent contact. He has only 21 games of big-league experience, but he's a five-year pro out of Wichita State and should be ready for a part-time role.

And they made people PAY for that inaccurate garbage?

Gawd, ESPN sucks.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As for the bold portion, here is the ACTUAL backup catcher Hector Gimenez Stats, News, Pictures, Bio, Videos - Chicago White Sox - ESPN

Wow! The dude is only 30, and a lifetime .300 hitter!