• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: First Round: Toronto Maple Leafs vs. Washington Capitals

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know the Caps should win this easily, and I think they will, but the Leafs are playing with house money. They weren't really expected to be in the playoffs this year and have nothing to lose. If the Caps let them hang around (win one of the first 2) the Leafs could make this a long series.

Agreed that the Leafs have absolutely nothing to lose.

Except this series.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrong again. Toronto lost to Ottawa in 1904. Try to keep up. :nono:

But did everybody know that only Edmonton has lost more games than Toronto in the last 10 years? And that they've won as many conference championships as Las Vegas? And that Auston Matthews is a man-pig hybrid created by the NHL to try to make the Leaves something close to decent?

Because relevance. :hockeysmile:

Good luck to both teams!!

Caps in 5.
Leaf franchise didn't exist until 1917 :D

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed that the Leafs have absolutely nothing to lose.

Except this series.
Well, I'm sure the NHL would very much like to see one of the teams in this series make the conference final and since we all know the Cap train derails annually in the second round that only leaves one option.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worst part of this video is that its so accurate.

I was in the building for a number of those nut-punches.

Now I will have to endure a whole new kind of nut-punch. More literal-like.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Real talk, don't be shocked if this goes 7. For starters, the Caps have only once closed a first round series in fewer than 6 games in the Ovechkin era. Of their other 7 playoff experiences in this era only once did the series not go the full 7 games (last year vs. the Flyers).

In theory are the Leafs a good matchup for the Caps? Sure. The Leafs' defence is basically beetle-eaten wood at this point ready to be crushed by a very capable collection of scorers. The Leafs’ game strategy all year has basically been use speed to minimize d-zone time and hope that Andersen can handle the rest. It’s worked well-enough to get them here (and had they won even one of the eight shootouts they lost, by far the most in the league, they’d be playing Ottawa instead), but you likely won’t find another team as capable of skating circles around the Leafs’ D-men and pummeling Andersen.

If the Leafs have any chance Kadri has to be a huge pain in the ass for Washington’s top line. He’s capable of it, and if he can slow them down and give us some playoff Backstrom the strain on the blue line won’t be nearly as big a factor in deciding this series.

Of course, the kids and the other goalscorers (JVR in particular, who had a good game last night despite his teammates all snoozing through the evening) will need to get going fast. Particularly in games 3 and 4, getting the Matthews line out there everytime Orpik touches the ice might just let the Leafs go back to DC with an even series.

I also sent pictures of Matt Hunwick and Roman Polak to the pope to be blessed, so divine intervention comes into play here. God obviously hates Washington because he sent them Donald Trump and Dan Snyder.

This is the Caps’ to totally and utterly blow and there are few franchises in sports I like those odds for more than the Caps (the team they’re playing against among them but they have nothing to blow – yet).

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Real talk, don't be shocked if this goes 7. For starters, the Caps have only once closed a first round series in fewer than 6 games in the Ovechkin era. Of their other 7 playoff experiences in this era only once did the series not go the full 7 games (last year vs. the Flyers).

In theory are the Leafs a good matchup for the Caps? Sure. The Leafs' defence is basically beetle-eaten wood at this point ready to be crushed by a very capable collection of scorers. The Leafs’ game strategy all year has basically been use speed to minimize d-zone time and hope that Andersen can handle the rest. It’s worked well-enough to get them here (and had they won even one of the eight shootouts they lost, by far the most in the league, they’d be playing Ottawa instead), but you likely won’t find another team as capable of skating circles around the Leafs’ D-men and pummeling Andersen.

If the Leafs have any chance Kadri has to be a huge pain in the ass for Washington’s top line. He’s capable of it, and if he can slow them down and give us some playoff Backstrom the strain on the blue line won’t be nearly as big a factor in deciding this series.

Of course, the kids and the other goalscorers (JVR in particular, who had a good game last night despite his teammates all snoozing through the evening) will need to get going fast. Particularly in games 3 and 4, getting the Matthews line out there everytime Orpik touches the ice might just let the Leafs go back to DC with an even series.

I also sent pictures of Matt Hunwick and Roman Polak to the pope to be blessed, so divine intervention comes into play here. God obviously hates Washington because he sent them Donald Trump and Dan Snyder.

This is the Caps’ to totally and utterly blow and there are few franchises in sports I like those odds for more than the Caps (the team they’re playing against among them but they have nothing to blow – yet).

Should be hoping he's out against Alzner-Carlson, they're much worse than Orpik-Shattenkirk. Unfortunately, that's Trotz's shutdown line and he'll try to have them out on the ice with the Matthews line.

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These playoffs are when people really start to recognize how good Burakovsky is. Basically, he's gonna make sure you don't forget about 'Dre.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should be hoping he's out against Alzner-Carlson, they're much worse than Orpik-Shattenkirk. Unfortunately, that's Trotz's shutdown line and he'll try to have them out on the ice with the Matthews line.
Maybe it's changed since Shattenkirk got there but Alzner/Carlson have gotten most of their ice time this skating with Backstrom/Ovie/Oshie. If that's the trend to follow I'm guessing we won't see much of Trotz sending them out vs. Matthews/Nylander.

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Duke of Douchington

Needle Mover
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Caps have to sweep in order to not get the schedule messed up by a rap concert.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington Capitals (M1) vs. Toronto Maple Leafs (WC2)

Thursday, April 13, 7pm: Maple Leafs @ Capitals | USA, CBC, TVA Sports

Saturday, April 15, 7pm: Maple Leafs @ Capitals | NBCSN, CBC, TVA Sports

Monday, April 17, 7pm: Capitals @ Maple Leafs | CBC, TVA Sports, NBCSN

Wednesday, April 19, 7pm: Capitals @ Maple Leafs | CBC, TVA Sports, NBCSN

*Friday, April 21, TBD: Maple Leafs @ Capitals | TBD

*Sunday, April 23, TBD: Capitals @ Maple Leafs | TBD

*Tuesday, April 25, TBD: Maple Leafs @ Capitals | TBD

Please, please, PLEASE go 6 or 7. I will be in Vegas on those dates and will gladly bet 000's on the Caps just to jinx them.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another Caps pump up video.

Some NSFW language

We're aware of our history, 43. Thanks. I found a video called "Columbus Blue Jacket - Playoff Series Victories!" for you to enjoy below...

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

First off, really good post, BBB. Second though, and this is key, those other playoff experiences you are talking about were different teams, and really the makeup of the current team has been pretty different the last 2-3 years compared to those teams 5 or 6 years ago. Different coach, too.

But they've won in the first round both of their last two playoff trips (and actually 4 of the last 5 if you want to go back further). They lost last year in the second round to the eventual champs. I think this team is really well balanced. That said, it's the Stanley Cup playoffs. No sport sees underdogs win more often than in hockey.

If Toronto is going to win, they have to have two things - a hot goalie and a strong PP. The Caps one weakness is they give up too many penalties. If Toronto can take advantage of that (and they have the youth and speed to create those situations), they could certainly make it a series.

But I do think Washington has all the tools to make this a quick one as well if they execute how they have over the last 4 months. So yeah, Toronto certainly can play as if this is all gravy. But they will also be overwhelmed and stifled by the offense and defense of this team at times. I don't like their odds to weather those storms, but who knows. Good luck, Leafs' fans.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Toronto is going to win, they have to have two things - a hot goalie and a strong PP. The Caps one weakness is they give up too many penalties. If Toronto can take advantage of that (and they have the youth and speed to create those situations), they could certainly make it a series.
Definitely something that helps the Leafs - 2nd best PP in the league, best PP on the road, and a goalie who's gotten hot in the playoffs before (although for the most part he was playing on the superior team, something which isn't the case this time).

Also worth noting Trotz has mastered the Babcock before in the first round before.