• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: First Round - Toronto Maple Leafs vs. Tampa Bay Lightning

tsawchuk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tavares can walk into a pub anywhere in Ontario and will not have to buy his own beer for at least 10 yrs.

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just gonna say if they don’t start sending Bowen to the road games we’re losing something. This should’ve been an all timer call and it was blown because Rogers have them calling it on a monitor.

Pretty much every Leaf fan everywhere wish they had Joe and Jim doing the TV broadcasts. They're really dropping the ball here.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last comment on the series winning goal.

If you go back and watch the shot by Tavares, you might think that was an odd shot to take and unusual type of shot.

That is 100% a product of his lacrosse background. That spin and whip is a classic lacrosse move. His family are well known in the lacrosse world and John himself has played a lot of lacrosse.

I would speculate that without the lacrosse background, he never attempts that shot and history is forever altered. I was wondering why Vasy was so fooled by the shot, and I believe that is why.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is 100% a product of his lacrosse background. That spin and whip is a classic lacrosse move. His family are well known in the lacrosse world and John himself has played a lot of lacrosse.

I would speculate that without the lacrosse background, he never attempts that shot and history is forever altered. I was wondering why Vasy was so fooled by the shot, and I believe that is why.

Canada's other official sport :thumb:

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last comment on the series winning goal.

If you go back and watch the shot by Tavares, you might think that was an odd shot to take and unusual type of shot.

I saw the tweet earlier and it might have been posted here, but it showed Keefe on the Toronto bench mouthing the words "Go forehand" as if instructing Tavares to do the very thing you described above, Dave. As we all know, it worked out great for Toronto.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Canada's other official sport :thumb:
Is there a significant crossover out west between hockey and lacrosse players?

I grew up where JT did and at least half the hockey players around also played lacrosse seriously and when their hockey careers eventually flames out they stuck with lax (many to get scholarships, for sure, but a few just were super into it more than they were hockey).

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Is there a significant crossover out west between hockey and lacrosse players?

I grew up where JT did and at least half the hockey players around also played lacrosse seriously and when their hockey careers eventually flames out they stuck with lax (many to get scholarships, for sure, but a few just were super into it more than they were hockey).
there was when I was a kid (many moons ago).
winter was hockey , and summer was split between baseball/fast pitch and lacrosse.
the toughest hockey players I played against usually lacrossed in the summer.

and probably similar to Ontario, everything was box lacrosse.
i can't ever remember seeing it played on a field.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there was when I was a kid (many moons ago).
winter was hockey , and summer was split between baseball/fast pitch and lacrosse.
the toughest hockey players I played against usually lacrossed in the summer.

and probably similar to Ontario, everything was box lacrosse.
i can't ever remember seeing it played on a field.
I think there are a lot fewer kids playing lacrosse than there were pre covid. BC Lacrosse made many missteps during covid and they went 2 years without games at different age groups. Id say field hockey is growing faster now because its making inroads in high schools. My son had a hockey teammate this season who was on Team BC field lacrosse.

The pitfalls of specialization in youth sports aside, Id say in BC/lower mainland, the season stream for the "serious" hockey kids is hockey, spring hockey and ball hockey concurrently, and then summer hockey development/camps.

Ball hockey is a great workout and great to develop the hands ... There was a "lacrosse" goal at my sons ball hockey Saturday afternoon lol