• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

First Mock B4L81 - 4 RD draft

Birds4life81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm in football dream land -- off early from work. Let's have some mock fun, or maybe ruffle some feathers.

First order of business:
-DeMeco Ryans. I love his leadership and if we can bring him at a reduced contract to play in a backup role, I'm all for it. With Kiko and Kendricks (F NO I'm not trading my favorite eagle!!), Ryans biggest worth is his leadership. Unforuntately at that cap figure he won't be worth it. Good thing Chip has brought a lot of blue collar guys to Philly, because the loss of leadership (along with the cuts and trade) would hurt most locker rooms -- I think we have a strong enough locker room to handle this. After the cut we're looking at around 54 million in cap space.

Free Agency: Time to have some fun!!

-- WR Jeremy Maclin: I was very hard on Maclin prior to this year. Though I am very proud of the steps he took in his progress this year, especially after his 2nd ACL injury of his career. He played more physical than I have ever seen. He really put it all together and stepped up as a leader. He's always been a great kid, but inconsistency and toughness were always a question. He answered those questions this past year and has earned his contract here. I think we sign him during the tampering period or shortly after FA starts -- he wants to stay in Philly, but he also wants to know his value. If we don't sign Maclin, we better sign Randall Cobb.

-- CB Byron Maxwell: We need him…desperately. Get it done.

-- OLB Jason Worilds: We let Graham walk, and we already cut Cole…we'll need a player like Worilds. We all know about this guy. Very talented and he's only getting better. Entering his prime, great scheme fit, and a true Chip Kelly type of guy. Supposedly our #1 target last year, should be ours this year.

--- S Marcus Gilchrist - Very talented, versatile and underrated player. Strong in the box who does a good job against the run. Good cover guy who can play deep or in the slot in man to man. Played corner at Clemson and made a similar transition as Malcom Jenkins from playing CB in college to Safety in the pros. Very well rounded Safety who is getting better and entering his prime at 26years of age. Good work ethic and football IQ. Jenkins and Gilchrist are the future.

-- CB Alan Ball: Relatively cheap stopgap. Has the length and athleticism we like at CB, and he's best suited in a press-man scheme like ours. He's nothing special, but he could prove to be a solid starter for a couple years, as Jaylen Watkins grows and we draft another rookie to develop.

--- OG Stephen Wisnewski: I was banging the drum for this kid over Danny Watkins back when. Now we get a chance get him. Not special, but an above average starter. I think he'll be an even better player outside of that dumpster fire known as Oakland. Offers versatility as a guard and a center. Great kid, and only turning 26 next month.

-- RB Mark Ingram: He was a disappointment his first few years, but I think he's earned more credit than he's usually given now. He's an ideal one cut and go type RB, downhill runner who runs with anger and toughness -- and he has more wiggle than you'd think. The Saints were an absolute mess last year, this kid can run. I think he's a nice fit in our zone scheme offense. Nagging injury concerns but he will join a RBBC here with a rookie added as well.

-- QB Jake Locker: 1 year contract. Backup QB with the physical tools for a Chip Kelly offense. No team is going to make this guy their starter, this is a good place to get repetitions and pad your stats.

-- RFA 2nd Round DE Cedric Thornton: Solid player worth the RFA 2nd round contract.

Draft Talk:

I think the Tampa Bay Buccaneers go ahead and take Jameis Winston. I see the Tennessee Titans passing on Mariota and hoping for a good trade down option, if not, taking Leonard Williams. I think they rather give Mettenberger a chance this year while building up a roster that's talent depleted everywhere. They need help in a lot of places and Mariota isn't an ideal fit in a Ken Whisenhunt offense. Why force the issue when you have a young QB you like and could develop, all while building up the rest of your roster as well. The Titans could trade down, get a package of picks and still end up with a stud OLB if they trade down and still land within the top 10.

I see the Eagles and Titans doing some business on draft day. With the Rams helping it happen. We could be working on a deal that would include Nick Foles and #20 to the Rams for #10, if we already have a deal in place with the Titans that would include a package of picks, including the would be #10 overall pick from the Rams.

NFL Draft:

-Eagles trade: Nick Foles and #20 overall to the Rams for #10.
-Eagles trade: #10, 2nd rounder, 4th (Buff), 5th, 2016 1st/4th to the Titans for #2 overall.
-Eagles trade: Vinny Curry for a (late) 2nd or 3rd. Vinny should have plenty of value to a 4-3 team with cap space.

#2nd overall (F/TEN): Marcus Mariota QB: A potential franchise QB who is tailor made for this offense. He has the physical tools you drool about. He has the accuracy, the touch, and the arm to make all the throws. He's a freak athlete who is not only fast straight line like Kaepernick, but he is explosive laterally like Russell Wilson - he's a better athlete than both of those guys. Incredible work ethic and character. The ideal face of a Chip Kelly team. With those two back together, the NFL needs to be on watch. Big time potential in the future once Mariota adapts to the pros. With a kid as gifted as him with the work ethic and IQ, back with the coach who knows what he does best -- this is a marriage that could work lead our Eagles to the promise land….finally. Worth the upside.

2nd/3rd RD (F/Curry):
Byron Jones CB: 6'1 199lbs with 32inch arms. 44.5inch vertical jump, and a world record 12'3 broad jump. He has the length and athleticism we want at CB, but he's not just a athletic freak…this kid can play. He's at his best when playing press man. Displays fluid hips and the ability to jam and run with his man. He also does a good job turning his head around to locate the ball when in the air. Not only a combine warrior, but a talented player with a great work ethic and character.

3rd RD: Ameer Abdullah RB: LeSean who!?? Fear Ameer!! This kid is absolute dynamite. He's the cliche "Chip Kelly Guy". Talented on and off the field. Team first guy. Elite lateral agility/quickness with great ability to cut and explode through the hole with velocity. Very good vision and decisive. Much tougher runner than his size would indicate and can run in between the tackles. I could care less about his 40 time at the combine. While he doesn't possess elite top end speed, he very good game speed and has elite quickness. Home run hitter. He's a really good WR out the backfield as well. Will be a threat in our zone read offense - this kid in space is sick. He's proved to get better with his fumbling issues over the years, but he still has work to do here. While willing and coachable, he'll have to refine his pass protection, as most college RBs do. I feel confident that he will improve in both departments. One of, if not my favorite player in the draft. This is an impressive young man.

4th RD: Chris Conley WR: 6'2 213lbs with 9 7/8 hands and 33 3/4'' arms. 4.35 40, 45inch vert, 11'7 broad jump. Played on a run-heavy Georgia offense. Explosive player with good body control and ability to make the contested catch. High work ethic and character type -- honor student at Georgia. He's got the physical tools and the work ethic, now he needs repetitions and coaching. I like his upside a lot.

Is it Tuesday yet!??

Screamin Eagle

Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nicely thought out not that I agree with everything but it seems a solid plan however Foles and the #20 won't get us the #10.
One sure thing is that Chip will NOT draft Ameer. He will not accept a fumbler.

Birds4life81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ameer has improved on his fumbling issues a good amount. He had 4 fumbles last year, while rushing for 1600+ yards. That's really not too bad. Other random RBs in this draft I checked for their 2014 numbers:

Mevlin Gordon 7 fumbles
Jay Ajayi 7 fumbles
Duke Johnson 3 fumbles
David Cobb 6 fumbles
Tevin Coleman 4 fumbles

This is a really hard worker who will continue to improve in that department IMO. I think he's a great fit in this scheme and culture. Another RB I like in the 3rd is Yeldon, but I do love me some Abdullah!!

swat

Shady is the real Mccoy!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dont know very many of the draft prospects as yet but Im definitely down with most of that stuff.

I gotta start checking out all the RBs in this draft.

Keys IMO are getting....Signing Maclin OR Cobb, acquiring CB Maxwell, replacing McCoy & drafting QB Mariota.

Next in line are a stud RG, a quality OLB, another starting quality CB & a starting quality S.

After that...a vet backup QB, a young WR, more OL depth, , and Id be pretty happy.

Last edited:

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I'm one of the remaining few who think we aren't trading up for Mariota ... I wouldn't complain if we do. I think he'd be dynamite in this Offense. I just think he's either going 2nd to the Titans or one of either the Jets or Browns will trade up to 2 and take him.

I'd be doing flips if we get Abdullah in Rd 3 ... would love to get one of either he or Ajayi. The problem I see is that Abdullah may not even make it to our pick in Rd 2, much less Rd 3.

Byron Jones would be a great pick to groom if we get a couple of starters in free agency (which I think we will).

Your Free agency is fine ... I'd be cool cool with quite a few different combo's.

Good job overall bud.

Birds4life81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Rey. I was hoping Abdullah's fumbling past, size and 4.6 40 at the combine (though he ran 4.4 at pro day) would drop him in a loaded RB class, but that might be wishful thinking on my part. I'd be thrilled to have this guy in the 2nd. I like Ajayi as well, same goes for TJ Yeldon.

Birds4life81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dont know very many of the draft prospects as yet but Im definitely down with most of that stuff.

I gotta start checking out all the RBs in this draft.

Keys IMO are getting....

CB Maxwell & QB Mariota.

Fill in with a stud RG, capable RBs, vet backup QB, another WR, more OL depth, a quality OLB, another CB & a starting quality S and Id be pretty happy.

Check out Abdullah. I loved Shady as a prospect just like you….I think you're going to love this kid. Let me know what you think.

Screamin Eagle

Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even though I doubt Chip would draft Ameer there is no question that he is a talented and powerful runner.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Abdullah's "style" reminds me of Marshall Faulk ... I know he didn't run fast in shorts at the Combine, but on the field he's quick, fast and decisive. The fumbles are the main reason I think there's a chance he drops to our spot in Rd 2 ... but that's something that can be worked on (see Tiki Barber).

swat

Shady is the real Mccoy!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Check out Abdullah. I loved Shady as a prospect just like you….I think you're going to love this kid. Let me know what you think.

Looks good. Kind of like LT. Amazing balance. A little small but looks damn good.

A little black mamba in him as well. Chip could use this dude.

Last edited:

swat

Shady is the real Mccoy!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe they are waiting for trade to finalize before cutting Ryans. Only explanation if he isn't ataying. Can't see him accepting a backup role though.

Which means if Ryans isn't cut before the draft, MK has to be on his way out.

swat

Shady is the real Mccoy!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That dude ran a 4.6??-?!?#?

Taz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cant argue too much with your thinking. I am with Rey I still think the chances of getting Mariotta are slim. As for the trade ups. I don't think you got nearly enough for Foles. I think we have all downplayed him too much. I think if you were to rate the 32 starting QB's in this league he would come in somewhere in that 13-15 range based upon his last two year. I think way too much has been made of the turnovers last year vs what he does on the field. The guy commands the offense, directs his team well and not only that he directs them in the most critical time of games flawlessly. Just because he is not a running QB doesn't make him worth nothing. Anything less than the equivalent of a mid 1st round pick is a bad deal for Foles. You got the equivalent of a mid to late 2nd round pick for him.

Taz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wings

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My only gripe is drafting CB in rd 2 only because I think we sign 2 in FA, and I think both will be rather young. other than that I dig it.

WIZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great plan. Very well thought out. I think we're a bit short though letting Graham, Ryans and Cole walk. I would probably grab a defender over a RB in the third and sign whatever is left in FA. Barner is a Chip fave and he seems to like Polk and Tucker .

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Abdullah's 40 time at the Combine doesn't worry at all ... he improved his form at his pro day and ran a 4.4. The rest of his Combine results were all top notch. His short area quickness, strength and explosiveness are tops in this year's class. When you put the pads on he shows plenty of speed.

Bench Press 24 reps (Excellent)
Vertical Leap 42.5" (Best from RB Group)
Broad Jump 130" (Best from RB Group)
3-Cone Drill 6.79 seconds (Best from RB Group)
Short Shuttle 3.95 seconds (Best from RB Group)

Wings

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only TOP RB I do not want is Melvin Gordon, I'm not dealing with his fumble issues....That cat fumbles like crazy...and he could turn out to be GREAT, but I'm not dealing with his fumbling problem in the meantime.

Los Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Abdullah's 40 time at the Combine doesn't worry at all ... he improved his form at his pro day and ran a 4.4. The rest of his Combine results were all top notch. His short area quickness, strength and explosiveness are tops in this year's class. When you put the pads on he shows plenty of speed.

Bench Press 24 reps (Excellent)
Vertical Leap 42.5" (Best from RB Group)
Broad Jump 130" (Best from RB Group)
3-Cone Drill 6.79 seconds (Best from RB Group)
Short Shuttle 3.95 seconds (Best from RB Group)

Very strong numbers. The forty time is the most over-rated stat ever. If you do not have a great start, you time poorly. 4.4 and 4.6 is a huge difference. Jerry Rice, Larry Fitztgerald, and a host of other great football players had bad forty times. Football speed is all that matters.

Birds4life81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe they are waiting for trade to finalize before cutting Ryans. Only explanation if he isn't ataying. Can't see him accepting a backup role though.

Which means if Ryans isn't cut before the draft, MK has to be on his way out.

I stress about this literally every day. One of my biggest fears for this off-season is that we trade MK. That dude is P.Willis Jr. and my favorite Eagle right now. I guess you'd understand since Chip just shipped away your favorite Eagle.