• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

FIRE FLAKE!

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They both need to go. Blake may have wanted PLD, Robotile had to sign off on it as well.

Keep hearing Bergevin had a hand in that as Blake's advisor (because he supposedly wanted PLD when he was the Habs GM) but I don't buy that. Your advisor does just that, advises - he/she doesn't pull the trigger.

histkng23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Move him & Luc to some Ambassadorship role, so that they are somehow still connected to the franchise if anything. But, is obvious that the franchise is not trending in the right direction, and they're in a salary cap nightmare. Under Dean, sure they didn't make the playoffs the first few seasons he was GM, but he was stockpiling assets (which Blake has gone through that phase). 2010 they make the playoffs for the first time since 2002, win a couple games, but clearly not matched & ready to contend with Vancouver that was built for a long run (which they did, making the Finals). 2011, unfortunately, they lose Kopitar 2 weeks before season ends, so while they put of a valiant effort against the Sharks, they were a few moves away from being able to win a series, or two. 2012, Coaching change, offseason acquisition of Richards, and adding Carter at trade deadline, struggle to make playoffs, but by the time they reach it, they are trending up, are battle tested, and steamroll everyone to 1st Stanley Cup.

Meanwhile, Blake has made the playoffs the last 3 seasons, after stockpiling assets (that don't appear to be difference makers) & a coaching change. Yet the team is becoming LESS competitive against playoff caliber teams. So while I do feel that Blake should be relieved of duties (and his imprints should never be associated with this organization -- that he's held hostage on more than one occasion --- ever again), sadly I feel that AEG will give him one more year.....

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They both need to go. Blake may have wanted PLD, Robotile had to sign off on it as well.

Keep hearing Bergevin had a hand in that as Blake's advisor (because he supposedly wanted PLD when he was the Habs GM) but I don't buy that. Your advisor does just that, advises - he/she doesn't pull the trigger.

I dont mind that they traded for him based on the legend being what he is. Giving him that contract Is the major issue.... Plus
Obviously not watching one f****** game to see what you were getting, He has been the same everywhere nothing has changed..... Expecting him to is kind of stupid

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with the sentiment here....need a change. Doubt we get it

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Great read. Brutal options on PLD but extremely interesting option on buyout. If Stanley Cup finals end early, and PLD is still 25, he'll only cost LA 1/3 the contract amount. If he turns 26, Kings would be on line for 2/3. And buyout is 14 years. Haha. Man did Blake F this up.

Looking forward, I think you gotta fire Blake and Robitaille, and get a guy who can try to salvage this current roster. More minor tweaks like Vancouver was able to to. Like the JT Miller contract looking awful, and now it seems okay.

If I'm GM, as painful as buyout might be, I consider it if it's for 1/3 and cap hit sits closer to $2.5mil/year (weird breakdown but basically that amount for 14 years).

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 5 questions that will shape the Kings' offseasonThe 5 questions that will shape the Kings’ offseason

This article also mentions the buyout and the fact that they would only need to pay1/3 of his contract.

After they fire Flake and Lucky, whomever is the “Interim” Head Cheese In Charge, they should buyout PLD ASAP!

And when a new GM is hired, they should in no way shape or form be connected to the team. The Kings need an outsider to come in and with a fresh pair of eyes do what needs to be done. Whether it’s a complete tear down, which if necessary include trading (dear I say) Kopitar and DD8, to rebuild the farm system. There would probably be a precipice drop in points, but at least they will be building, hopefully in the right direction.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry guys, a buyout isnt going to help the Kings. Dead $$$ is what kept the Kings from making moves that everyone wanted....so we just add to that? I mean i get it, its a horrible contract and Kings never tried correctly to get PLG going and here we are. Kings dont have much in the system so they will gain 6.5 to fix the problem while paying the buyout forever? There is no good answer here unfortunately. I predict a buyout and he goes to a team that can manage different personnel and he gets back to a 70pt guy while still being all the things hes slways been....lazy, slow, no end, easy to get off the puck etc while LA still flounders and does not get better from ridding themselves of him

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a rebuild is going to happen, then you keep him ride it out while stocking your farm and at some point an opportunity to move him will present itself and you take it. Make yourself cap and player ready by being smart not by hampering yourself forever.

Fact is, Kings didnt loose because their 4th C sucked. As shitty as his contract is he isnt on the PK that was brutally bad, and he was usually only on the PP the last 30sec or so.....and his 14m a game also isnt why the Kings lost. Honestly with the Kings just standing around on the PK they should have tried standing PLG out there as a bigger pylon than the other guys....why not? In the end, what are you trying to achieve with the buyout? Are you going to be a cup contender doing that? Are you even a playoff team with or eithout him? It sucks but if you really want to set your team up for success correctly, a buyout is not the way to go.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is buying out Pierre-Luc Dubois the best move for the Kings?Is buying out Pierre-Luc Dubois the best move for the L.A. Kings?

I think this is interesting.

I can't read it without paying. But best case is like 2m for 14 years or something isnt it? So next season Kings would have 5m in dead cap and the next down to around 3m until the end of eternity....assuming they dont add to that. So best case would be throw next season away and hope you can get something with that 2m from proverov coming off? Kopistar will be 38, Doughboy 36.... I'm really not seeing what you achieve other than destroy the cap situation for as long as we will be alive....that seems retarded. What am i missing here?

Remember when i wanted to go get Eichel....ya good times.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowlby has a media conference scheduled for tomorrow at 1pm. Pretty sure that means he is still going to be behind the wheel, especially because he has one year left on his deal.

Curious what vague and deflecting answers he will spew out, this should be a gem. Seven years of failure.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope he says ive called Toronto and we have a deal in place lol

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure I want any of that loser Core Four either...

It would satisfy the fans that need points to show effectiveness plus with the exception of Paylander they all have WAY less years left on contrsct

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would satisfy the fans that need points to show effectiveness plus with the exception of Paylander they all have WAY less years left on contrsct

This is just pathetic man, I don't have another adjective to describe it.

No fight, no balls, no nasty, no nothing. Just a bunch of good guy hockey players who don't have that extra gear to do what it takes to win.

It's so discouraging especially when you compare to Dumbo's teams.

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is buying out Pierre-Luc Dubois the best move for the Kings?Is buying out Pierre-Luc Dubois the best move for the L.A. Kings?

I think this is interesting.
EL SEGUNDO, Calif. — Even though the Los Angeles Kings’ acquisition of Pierre-Luc Dubois last July sparked some doubt, not many would have predicted the possibility of a separation less than 12 months into an eight-year contract.

But the confluence of a dreadful first season, a checkered previous history, a full no-move clause that kicks in on July 1 and Dubois being 25 years old has led to increasing speculation that the Kings will seek to get out of this marriage, either through a trade or — much more likely — a buyout.
A buyout with seven years and $59 million still left on his deal. Imagine that. But that’s where the Kings find themselves, after a third consecutive playoff loss to Edmonton, a first-round series in which Dubois had one point (a goal) in five games.

“It’s out of my control,” Dubois said Friday. “I’m a firm believer in, everything happens for a reason. And it’s out of my control, what happens. I just got to have the summer I know I can have. Be ready for next year.”

Dubois managed just 16 goals and 24 assists in 82 regular-season games. His .488 points per game were the second-lowest of his seven-year career, above only the 2020-21 COVID-19 shortened season, in which he had nine goals and 21 points with Columbus and Winnipeg.

There were, perhaps, some mitigating factors. Dubois moved up and down the Kings’ lineup, and between center and wing, and got scant time on the first power-play unit — but he also didn’t give the Kings reason to give him a bigger role, since he lacked consistent difference-making play.

The Kings didn’t give Dubois a new contract, worth an average of $8.5 million, for him to be a 40-point forward who spent time on the fourth line. His $11.25 million in actual salary for 2024-25 would be the highest on the team. And with no guarantee that he’ll ever become a front-line player, there are ample reasons for the Kings to cut their losses and consider getting out of his contract before it becomes an albatross.

There is no good solution. But a buyout does make sense — provided the Stanley Cup is handed out before June 22. Dubois turns 26 two days later. This year’s NHL buyout period will be 48 hours after the final series ends. If Dubois is still 25, the Kings can get out of the contract by paying one-third of his remaining base salary, compared to the customary two-thirds. And while Dubois would still receive the full $11.5 million signing bonus, the Kings would owe an additional $15.8 million compared to $31.7 million.
Either way, the financial pain would be spread over 14 years. It’s not like Bobby Bonilla’s 25-year payout from the New York Mets — it’s more relatable to Rick DiPietro’s 16-year buyout with New York, but that was a compliance buyout that doesn’t affect the Islanders’ cap dynamics. The Kings would be hurt, but CapFriendly projects a buyout cap penalty of $1,630,952 for 2024-25 and $1,530,952 for 2025-26. It would jump to $2.53 million the following season but never rise above $3,820,952, and it would fall to $1,130,952 over the final seven years.

SEASONCURRENT CAP HITBUYOUT (1/3) CAP HIT
2024-25$8.5 million$1.63 million
2025-26$8.5 million$1.53 million
2026-27$8.5 million$2.53 million
2027-28$8.5 million$3.78 million
2028-29$8.5 million$3.8 million
2029-30$8.5 million$3.82 million
2030-31$8.5 million$2.82 million
2031-32$0$1.13 million
2032-33$0$1.13 million
2033-34$0$1.13 million
2034-35$0$1.13 million
2035-36$0$1.13 million
2036-37$0$1.13 million
2037-38$0$1.13 million
Kings ownership would have to agree with the financials on this, but buying out Dubois might be more palatable than trading him, which almost certainly would involve retaining 50 percent of his contract — a cap hit of $4.25 million over the next seven years. The third option would be to keep Dubois and hope he is motivated to improve.

“I want to do anything I can to have a better season next year,” Dubois said. “If that means staying here for the majority of the summer, I will. I want to get the best summer I can get and if that means staying here and working with the staff or anything, I’ll do that.”

The playoffs provided an opportunity for Dubois to shift the narrative. But he scored only an inconsequential goal in L.A.’s Game 1 loss, and he only had four shots on goal over the five games, including zero in the final three games. Kings captain Anže Kopitar said the persistent talk about the forward’s season “was hard on PL,” and that he reached out at times to talk hockey and anything else. “Just to get his mind right,” he said.

Through his 15-minute media session on Friday, Dubois spoke of the challenges that came with a new team and with a different role than he had in Columbus and Winnipeg. He alluded to struggles with the 1-3-1 system that the Kings employ, which was new to him.

He also stated two preferences: He sees himself as a center, and he wants to have a top-six role.

“Everybody wants to be,” Dubois said. “You can ask any guy in the NHL. Everybody wants to play more and have bigger minutes. You got to earn it. Yeah, everybody wants to play more. Everybody wants to be on the first power play. Everybody wants to be on the first line but not everybody can.

“Does it help? Yeah, it can help your game for sure. When I was in Winnipeg, I was and I had success. But that’s out of my control.”

On the flip side, when asked what he could do to deserve a higher role, Dubois said, “That’s on me to show them. To be better. If you play good …”

As he trailed off with that thought, Dubois circled back to things that are beyond his control. Teammate Phillip Danault struck an understanding tone.

“It’s a new organization,” Danault said. “New everything. Big contract. Pressure’s on. … You’re not going to have a 65-point season every year. He used to play with really good players as well. It was a different game for sure this year. A different challenge. I think it was hard to perform through that adversity.”

The Kings could undergo significant changes. They need a permanent coach. Rob Blake has finished his seventh season as general manager, and his future must be resolved. Blake is under contract through next season, but he’s assembled a team that was salary-capped out all season and the Kings have yet to win a playoff round under his stewardship.

The Kings could have some cap flexibility if pending free agents Matt Roy and Viktor Arvidsson leave. But they’ll still need to fill their two goaltending spots, as Cam Talbot, David Rittich and Pheonix Copley are also on expiring deals. New contracts are needed for RFAs Quinton Byfield and Jordan Spence. The futures of fourth-liners Blake Lizotte, Carl Grundstrom and Arthur Kaliyev are undetermined.

But their team-building philosophy figures to also be under review. Should they give bigger roles to young players such as Brandt Clarke, Alex Turcotte and Akil Thomas? Should they reallocate potential cap room and try to improve the roster for another run? Should they take a step back and attempt some asset-building for future seasons?

“I don’t think I have time for retooling now,” said Kopitar, the Kings’ 36-year-old captain. “It’s another two years. If we go into a full rebuild, it’s not something that I want. There’s some pieces that are obviously very useful here. We got to build on that and build around it. Getting that culture back and mentality and, yes, push forward.”

Drew Doughty, at age 34, was even more adamant, saying he has “no interest” in a retool or rebuild, and that he didn’t think one was necessary.

Buying out Dubois could help reshape the Kings on the fly. If they were able to buy out Dubois at one-third, they would gain approximately $6.8 million in cap space for 2024-25. Also, the cap ceiling is increasing by $4.2 million, which might help the Kings re-sign Roy, or spend to address other areas if they’re ready to put Clarke in their defense full-time.

Any flexibility would be welcome. Kings players watched other top teams in the West make additions at the trade deadline while they couldn’t because of cap constraints.

“I think it was tough a little bit,” Danault said. “We all understood the situation. It wasn’t Blakey’s fault or anything like that. We decided to make our move in the summer. Like the same thing with me as a free agent or Kevin (Fiala). Arvy. We all came in the summer. Some teams like to make those moves in the summer. Other teams like to do trade deadline moves if they can. For us, we already made them.”

The Kings now must make more. Their biggest move last summer didn’t pan out. Now, Dubois could be on the move again — or out to redeem himself with the team he wanted to be on.

“There’s a lot of ways you can look at it,” Dubois said. “But at the end of the day — I hate to be repeating myself like this — it’s on me. If I can play like I can play, we’re not having these questions right now. I take the blame. I take responsibility. It’s just on me to be a better player. Yeah. That’s all I got to say.”

LAKINGSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't read it without paying. But best case is like 2m for 14 years or something isnt it? So next season Kings would have 5m in dead cap and the next down to around 3m until the end of eternity....assuming they dont add to that. So best case would be throw next season away and hope you can get something with that 2m from proverov coming off? Kopistar will be 38, Doughboy 36.... I'm really not seeing what you achieve other than destroy the cap situation for as long as we will be alive....that seems retarded. What am i missing here?

Remember when i wanted to go get Eichel....ya good times.
I dont think a buyout is in the question. Ego and pride will play into this. I doubt Blake will ever admit that he made a mistake with this trade.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowlby still in, team thinking about moving away from the 1-3-1.

About damn time, hope they ditch the man to man coverage too.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PLD isn't getting bought out either, I thought it was a ridiculous thought anyway.

This is what they're rolling with gentlemen. I see 15th-20th picks for a while and no Cup.

Such a typical LA Kings move. Not good enough to win, not bad enough to draft high end.