• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

FIFA World Cup Brazil 2014

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Previous results are silly to use as a barometer for future success. I agree, the teams the US plays (or may play) in the World Cup are completely different just as the US is completely different. Timing is everything and which team is clicking/peaking right now can use that momentum to go a long way. Talent, depth starts to sort thing out by the Quarterfinals.

That being said, the United States back line is a major weak spot. The US implemented a formation and strategy against Nigeria similar to past strategies that have allowed the US to "hang in there" with superior teams over the past two decades. Tighten up the middle of the field, pack it in towards the 18 yard box, keep the pressure to the outside, let the opponent dominate possession in benign parts of the field, weather attacking storms, rely on a few brilliant saves by an elite goalie, rely on low percentage long balls for sporadic offensive pressure and counter when the opportunity presents itself or when the opposition sneaks too many players upfield.

Klinsman would like to build a roster with more talent that can possess the ball in tight spaces, eventually spread the field out and control an up tempo pace. He knows the US is filled with athletes that are well conditioned and his instincts are completely correct in building a team that can run faster than most, spread you out and wear you down with possession. Plus, possession is the best defense - you burn the other teams fuel and you cannot be scored upon when you possess the ball.

Unfortunately, the talent gap is dramatic. Klinsman has sought younger, international, dual citizen talent to bridge this gap - but that is years from coming to fruition (if it ever does). US still struggles with possession in tight spots and the first touch is something that has always plagued our team.Furthermore, the back defense for the US have never seen an A team German offensive onslaught, or the Ghana midfield that will wear on you for 90 minutes or the likes of Ronaldo coming at you for 90 minutes. It requires a mentality and brain chalk full of experience that the Cherundolo's and Bocranergra's had experienced. Were they any good? Not particularly, but they could weather a few storms from time to time on sheer guile.

I think one area the US can exploit is raw athleticism and conditioning. The US is talking a good game regarding conditioning, but is it true? I've seen some waning performances late in games of late from the likes of Clint Dempsey. But if they can all run for 90 minutes at a high level all the while losing the possession battle yet backing up their teammates due to inexperienced mistakes - they may surprise a Ghana or perhaps a Portugal. However, Jermaine Jones (an essential piece of the defending midfield) often gets caught out of position, takes plays off, appears slow afoot and distributes from the backfield with inconsistent results - well, this will be the kiss of death for the United States against A team talent.

Realistically, I think Klinsman is spot on with his analysis - we are not going to win the World Cup. Hopefully we play well enough to build player confidence in line with the ideals Klinsmen would like to set forth over the next four years and we show that we have sparks of talent on the horizon. Otherwise, the US has to play perfect soccer to beat any team in their group and that is not possible as the back line will make too many mistakes to give the United States any hope. You know they will make mistakes and all of the teams they play will capitalize on those mistakes - this is not Slovenia or Algeria we are talking about.

Predictions:
Ghana 3 US 1
Late Ghana goal ices it as the US extends itself, two early mistakes on defense allow Ghana to sit on a two goal lead and weather the US counter.

Portugal 4 US 0
US must change the game plan and extend a bit more to play for win, and in doing so the back line completely breaks down.

Germany 2-0 (My bold prediction)
I think Klineman has the game marked on his calendar and the US plays inspired soccer against a far superior side. Germany scores early and then a late one, but the US shows flashes of what the future may hold.

Last edited by a moderator:

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. The teams get together and play without any fans. Not an official game or friendly. I would imagine some press is allowed, but I'm really not sure about that.

I suspect they will have unwritten ground rules: No tackling, no cards, keep it light etc.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man Brazil is so unprepared... what a joke.... its the South American Socci... good grief...

Thinking FAR ahead but this and Qatar's spillage will certainly improves the United States' chances of claiming the host title.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yanks and Belgium are cancelled.

My wife was just in Brazil. She says it is woefully unprepared for both the World Cup and for the Olympics.

The poor of Brazil are very, very angry. A Brazilian loss could cause massive rioting. The poor would think we got kicked out for this? Forget about it, let's riot because we got nothing else.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thoughts on Klinsmann saying we can't win the World Cup? I would be annoyed as hell as a player even though it's probably true.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thoughts on Klinsmann saying we can't win the World Cup? I would be annoyed as hell as a player even though it's probably true.

I'd be annoyed as well. I think he could've worded it differently. That said, he's extremely calculated and I'm guessing there is a reason for him saying exactly what he said. Perhaps he's already addressed that with his team, but I have a feeling there's something there.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Previous results are silly to use as a barometer for future success. I agree, the teams the US plays (or may play) in the World Cup are completely different just as the US is completely different. Timing is everything and which team is clicking/peaking right now can use that momentum to go a long way. Talent, depth starts to sort thing out by the Quarterfinals.

That being said, the United States back line is a major weak spot. The US implemented a formation and strategy against Nigeria similar to past strategies that have allowed the US to "hang in there" with superior teams over the past two decades. Tighten up the middle of the field, pack it in towards the 18 yard box, keep the pressure to the outside, let the opponent dominate possession in benign parts of the field, weather attacking storms, rely on a few brilliant saves by an elite goalie, rely on low percentage long balls for sporadic offensive pressure and counter when the opportunity presents itself or when the opposition sneaks too many players upfield.

Klinsman would like to build a roster with more talent that can possess the ball in tight spaces, eventually spread the field out and control an up tempo pace. He knows the US is filled with athletes that are well conditioned and his instincts are completely correct in building a team that can run faster than most, spread you out and wear you down with possession. Plus, possession is the best defense - you burn the other teams fuel and you cannot be scored upon when you possess the ball.

Unfortunately, the talent gap is dramatic. Klinsman has sought younger, international, dual citizen talent to bridge this gap - but that is years from coming to fruition (if it ever does). US still struggles with possession in tight spots and the first touch is something that has always plagued our team.Furthermore, the back defense for the US have never seen an A team German offensive onslaught, or the Ghana midfield that will wear on you for 90 minutes or the likes of Ronaldo coming at you for 90 minutes. It requires a mentality and brain chalk full of experience that the Cherundolo's and Bocranergra's had experienced. Were they any good? Not particularly, but they could weather a few storms from time to time on sheer guile.

I think one area the US can exploit is raw athleticism and conditioning. The US is talking a good game regarding conditioning, but is it true? I've seen some waning performances late in games of late from the likes of Clint Dempsey. But if they can all run for 90 minutes at a high level all the while losing the possession battle yet backing up their teammates due to inexperienced mistakes - they may surprise a Ghana or perhaps a Portugal. However, Jermaine Jones (an essential piece of the defending midfield) often gets caught out of position, takes plays off, appears slow afoot and distributes from the backfield with inconsistent results - well, this will be the kiss of death for the United States against A team talent.

Realistically, I think Klinsman is spot on with his analysis - we are not going to win the World Cup. Hopefully we play well enough to build player confidence in line with the ideals Klinsmen would like to set forth over the next four years and we show that we have sparks of talent on the horizon. Otherwise, the US has to play perfect soccer to beat any team in their group and that is not possible as the back line will make too many mistakes to give the United States any hope. You know they will make mistakes and all of the teams they play will capitalize on those mistakes - this is not Slovenia or Algeria we are talking about.

Predictions:
Ghana 3 US 1
Late Ghana goal ices it as the US extends itself, two early mistakes on defense allow Ghana to sit on a two goal lead and weather the US counter.

Portugal 4 US 0
US must change the game plan and extend a bit more to play for win, and in doing so the back line completely breaks down.

Germany 2-0 (My bold prediction)
I think Klineman has the game marked on his calendar and the US plays inspired soccer against a far superior side. Germany scores early and then a late one, but the US shows flashes of what the future may hold.

I think you're entirely too pessimistic.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we are going to give up 9 goals in 3 games? No way

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We may not get out of the group but we'll win a game

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd be annoyed as well. I think he could've worded it differently. That said, he's extremely calculated and I'm guessing there is a reason for him saying exactly what he said. Perhaps he's already addressed that with his team, but I have a feeling there's something there.

Seems like this might be his way of saying, "Let's take one game at a time."

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we are going to give up 9 goals in 3 games? No way

Yahh. We only have one of the Top10 goalies in the WC. Yet, every team is going to slaughter us and all we can present is one goal.

That's beyond debbie downer. That's calling for a performance that sets US soccer back to the stone ages.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Toughest group we have ever been in. And the US backline is weak and inexperienced.

US back line is unproven but talented. This may be the most talented team we've ever taken to a World Cup

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Toughest group we have ever been in. And the US backline is weak and inexperienced.

You have to be really really shitty up to give up 9 goals in 3 games.

Portugal scored 2 goals per game in their qualifying leading up to the world cup in a group which included Israel, Luxembourg, Northern Island, and Azerbaijan so no way are they scoring 4 on us.

ugafan6612

Oh I really like boobs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Klinssmann is just trolling the media with that statement

Hoopla Bookie

Bet Bot
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,153,284.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
World Cup vBetting---- Brazil vs Croatia

http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/...-world-cup-brazil-vs-croatia-4pm-et-espn.html

ugafan6612

Oh I really like boobs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
US back line is unproven but talented. This may be the most talented team we've ever taken to a World Cup

I somewhat agree although in 4 yrs the way klinssmann is running things the next group could be even better

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to be really really shitty up to give up 9 goals in 3 games.

Portugal scored 2 goals per game in their qualifying leading up to the world cup in a group which included Israel, Luxembourg, Northern Island, and Azerbaijan so no way are they scoring 4 on us.

And the US is not shitty.... And I know this analogy is tired, but it is true: if the US had to qualify on any of the major soccer continents, they would not qualify at all. We just do not play this talent level often enough and I sense a 1998 time performance. In '98 Germany was the only legit team within our group and the drop off was significant as we played Yugoslavia and Iran giving up 5 goals and scoring 1. And that was not even a very good Germany team that only Mexico 2-1 and lost to Croatia 3-0 in the quarters!

Fast forward to this year and we face a deep, legit German team, a solid Portugal side and our history versus Ghana speak for itself. This group is vastly more difficult than 1998. And yes, our talent is considerably better than the '98 team, but so is this group. And every team in this group knows they cannot coast (a la how the Italians do every 4 years in the group stage). So is 9 goals a lot? Yes. But this group is that good.