• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Felix

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, it was poignant for me as well. There was some emotion in me

It's time for a new adventure in his life.

Athletes all go through these stages. I hope he knows this.

Luckily for him, he has kids he cares deeply about or at least it appears. Most athletes that have issues are guys who’s first and second love is their sport and family comes in a distance at best third.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, it was poignant for me as well. There was some emotion in me

It's time for a new adventure in his life.

Athletes all go through these stages. I hope he knows this.

I think his case is also relatively unique. Back in 2015 he looked like he could've been on the verge of putting together a Hall of Fame resume. It's strange to see such a dominant player regress to one of the worst pitchers in baseball in such a short timespan without some form of major injury.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luckily for him, he has kids he cares deeply about or at least it appears. Most athletes that have issues are guys who’s first and second love is their sport and family comes in a distance at best third.

I'm normally the pessimistic type, but I think Felix is actually a really good guy. I've had a few interactions with him, but I think the one that sticks out the most is when I was around 14 or so and he shoo'd off security at a charity event to come over and sign a baseball for me.

You also have to really appreciate a guy like him who decided to stay in Seattle with a losing franchise. Sure we gave him a truckload of money, but he could've received as much - if not more - from another team if he tested free agency.

I hate the fact that I feel his decline is self-imposed through a willingness not to change, but he'll always be a Mariners legend to me. It's just a shame he never received the run support he deserved and may never be able to pitch in the postseason.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm normally the pessimistic type, but I think Felix is actually a really good guy. I've had a few interactions with him, but I think the one that sticks out the most is when I was around 14 or so and he shoo'd off security at a charity event to come over and sign a baseball for me.

You also have to really appreciate a guy like him who decided to stay in Seattle with a losing franchise. Sure we gave him a truckload of money, but he could've received as much - if not more - from another team if he tested free agency.

I hate the fact that I feel his decline is self-imposed through a willingness not to change, but he'll always be a Mariners legend to me. It's just a shame he never received the run support he deserved and may never be able to pitch in the postseason.

His decline is something no one will ever be able to put a legit answer. I could make up a thousand excuses of the Mariners over working him for no reason, he came up to early, was being taught to develop pitches before his body was mature enough to handle it. Just as I think Felix had a hard time listening to analytic guys because well, I think they are retarded for thinking baseball is only about what it says on paper. But I think the same way he appeared to feel about those guys is how he would’ve felt about a manager or pitching coach that would’ve tried pulling a Strasburg on him.

I’ve never met him like you do but from nearly everyone that has they say he is authentic and that is the most a fan could ever ask for...no offense Russell Wilson.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His decline is something no one will ever be able to put a legit answer. I could make up a thousand excuses of the Mariners over working him for no reason, he came up to early, was being taught to develop pitches before his body was mature enough to handle it. Just as I think Felix had a hard time listening to analytic guys because well, I think they are retarded for thinking baseball is only about what it says on paper. But I think the same way he appeared to feel about those guys is how he would’ve felt about a manager or pitching coach that would’ve tried pulling a Strasburg on him.

I’ve never met him like you do but from nearly everyone that has they say he is authentic and that is the most a fan could ever ask for...no offense Russell Wilson.

I think Felix's decline it's a combination of the things that you pointed out. I thought this article by Ryan Divish on Felix was really good if you haven't read it.

The King’s Farewell: The end of Felix Hernandez’s long, complicated journey with the Mariners

The following quote really sticks out to me:

"After that season, the Mariners challenged him to change his offseason habits, including his conditioning and throwing routine.

Said one Mariners player on the condition of anonymity: “We all knew he needed to change. But he didn’t get it.”"

In my opinion I think it's a combination of everything you pointed out. He's a guy who relied on such elite natural abilities that diminished due to age and the bulk of innings he had and when he lost those abilities, for whatever reason didn't adapt. A lot of pitchers face this issue and they find some way to change, but either Felix didn't try to adapt or whatever he did obviously didn't work.

Also in his position I imagine it must be demoralizing going from being elite the majority of your life to becoming a liability every time he threw a pitch. I hope someone takes a chance on him and perhaps he can regain that passion and someone can find something to help him at least become a MLB caliber starter again.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Felix's decline it's a combination of the things that you pointed out. I thought this article by Ryan Divish on Felix was really good if you haven't read it.

The King’s Farewell: The end of Felix Hernandez’s long, complicated journey with the Mariners

The following quote really sticks out to me:

"After that season, the Mariners challenged him to change his offseason habits, including his conditioning and throwing routine.

Said one Mariners player on the condition of anonymity: “We all knew he needed to change. But he didn’t get it.”"

In my opinion I think it's a combination of everything you pointed out. He's a guy who relied on such elite natural abilities that diminished due to age and the bulk of innings he had and when he lost those abilities, for whatever reason didn't adapt. A lot of pitchers face this issue and they find some way to change, but either Felix didn't try to adapt or whatever he did obviously didn't work.

Also in his position I imagine it must be demoralizing going from being elite the majority of your life to becoming a liability every time he threw a pitch. I hope someone takes a chance on him and perhaps he can regain that passion and someone can find something to help him at least become a MLB caliber starter again.

If you look at it, he and Junior had similar career paths. Both exceptionally talented above most of their peers. Neither were given much credit in terms of work ethic. But Junior had the luxury of where when his talent took a cliff dive he had the DH and 4th/5th OF role. It’d be the equivalent of Felix becoming a mop up reliever. But you don’t get standing ovations when you come in down or up by 5 runs and get a strikeout like Junior did when he got a HR.