• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Felix

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anybody know some of the things that actually went on in the locker room that led to segura, cano, and cruz not returning this season? Unlike football where everything gets put out there for everyone to know, baseball they really do a solid job of keeping things in house

Jean Segura got into a physical fight with Dee Gordon last year and apparently the players took Gordon's side.

Mariners show some pregame fight with an altercation in the clubhouse

I mentioned this in another thread where this was being discussed and it makes sense the team rallied behind Gordon because by all accounts he seems like a good guy. He spends every offseason doing philanthropy work and after the death of Jose Fernandez, he broke down crying after he hit a home run in the Marlin's first AB of the game following his death.

When it comes to Cano, they traded him because of the massive contract he was owed and the team is rebuilding. Cano is 36 years old and owed $24m a year until he's 40. Didn't make sense to be paying him that much money when the team is aiming at competing in 2021 when Cano would be 38 years old and obviously on the decline.

Nelson Cruz by all accounts is extremely well liked across baseball, but given that he turns 39 in a month the team didn't have any use for a 39 year old DH when they're rebuilding.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, but here is a bullet list of food for thought:
Dipoto jettisons 9 Hispanic players off of the 2018 roster.
Dr Lorena Martin says that Mariner front office is racist toward Hispanics.
Felix, for the first time in his career, feels lost and disrespected.

Maybe it is all just coincidence of timing...but maybe it isn't.

Ahhh c'mon bro, I know you're just baiting but you know that has nothing to do with it.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, but here is a bullet list of food for thought:
Dipoto jettisons 9 Hispanic players off of the 2018 roster.
Dr Lorena Martin says that Mariner front office is racist toward Hispanics.
Felix, for the first time in his career, feels lost and disrespected.

Maybe it is all just coincidence of timing...but maybe it isn't.

As childish as it is, I hope this is totally true and MLB steps in and forces a sale like with the Clippers and gives someone who cares about winning the ownership. Maybe the Clips is a bad example but if the NBA didn’t have a salary cap the Clippers would be a finals contender every single year.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahhh c'mon bro, I know you're just baiting but you know that has nothing to do with it.
Like I said, maybe, maybe not. Gamel, Zunino, and Paxton were moved too so there is certainly enough evidence to show Dipoto is just trade happy and doesn't target a specific race. But, when you consider all the facts I listed, you can't just ignore the possibility. The leadership on the team was certainly Hispanic and it's probably what lead to the dispute between Segura and Gordon. Maybe Segura is a shitty teammate but maybe that shitty attitude was only extended to non-Hispanic players.

And I'm with wazzu31. Stop trading the damn players and trade the damn ownership instead.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said, maybe, maybe not. Gamel, Zunino, and Paxton were moved too so there is certainly enough evidence to show Dipoto is just trade happy and doesn't target a specific race. But, when you consider all the facts I listed, you can't just ignore the possibility. The leadership on the team was certainly Hispanic and it's probably what lead to the dispute between Segura and Gordon. Maybe Segura is a shitty teammate but maybe that shitty attitude was only extended to non-Hispanic players.

And I'm with wazzu31. Stop trading the damn players and trade the damn ownership instead.

I tend to give the benefit of the doubt and I genuinely don't think anyone who wants to retain their job would discriminate against a specific ethnicity.

Even the most racist person on the planet would realize that trying to build a winning organization without Hispanic players is like trying to swim across the Pacific with 50lb dumbbells tied to your balls.

Lorena Martin's screeching about racism and sexism are just a typical millennial visceral reaction rooted in a culture that craves being victimized. I'm surprised she didn't also accuse Dipoto of sexual harassment.

She really fucked herself over because if she ever wants another job in sports, people are going to think twice about hiring her. Even if she was telling the truth nobody wants a potential whistleblower in their organization, even if they do everything right.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to give the benefit of the doubt and I genuinely don't think anyone who wants to retain their job would discriminate against a specific ethnicity.

Even the most racist person on the planet would realize that trying to build a winning organization without Hispanic players is like trying to swim across the Pacific with 50lb dumbbells tied to your balls.

Lorena Martin's screeching about racism and sexism are just a typical millennial visceral reaction rooted in a culture that craves being victimized. I'm surprised she didn't also accuse Dipoto of sexual harassment.

She really fucked herself over because if she ever wants another job in sports, people are going to think twice about hiring her. Even if she was telling the truth nobody wants a potential whistleblower in their organization, even if they do everything right.

Yeah it would really be hard to be a racist and build a winning ball club with out any hispanic players. It is also odd to be a racist and not want hispanic players but be perfectly fine with black players all around club house.

Dr. Lorena Martin didnt look good doing what she did I feel she is a smart person and really thought she had a case. As far as baseball goes yeah I think she is pretty much done but she used to work with the Lakers I am sure she knows people personally that will give her a great opportunity somewhere.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jean Segura got into a physical fight with Dee Gordon last year and apparently the players took Gordon's side.

Mariners show some pregame fight with an altercation in the clubhouse

I mentioned this in another thread where this was being discussed and it makes sense the team rallied behind Gordon because by all accounts he seems like a good guy. He spends every offseason doing philanthropy work and after the death of Jose Fernandez, he broke down crying after he hit a home run in the Marlin's first AB of the game following his death.

When it comes to Cano, they traded him because of the massive contract he was owed and the team is rebuilding. Cano is 36 years old and owed $24m a year until he's 40. Didn't make sense to be paying him that much money when the team is aiming at competing in 2021 when Cano would be 38 years old and obviously on the decline.

Nelson Cruz by all accounts is extremely well liked across baseball, but given that he turns 39 in a month the team didn't have any use for a 39 year old DH when they're rebuilding.

Man I completely missed that fight I knew there was an altercation but I didnt know the details. you were right about Cano and Cruz I dont think they departed because of race they were both old and didnt fit the direction the team wanted to go in. Any team willing to trade for Cano and take on some of that salary you would need to pull that trigger. I am sure the Mets are really frustrated with Cano right now they dont seem to know what to do and they are sitting under .500 probably not going to make the playoffs. Even Diaz looks like a good player but not anywhere near the lights out monster he was with us Jerry was smart to sell high on him

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah it would really be hard to be a racist and build a winning ball club with out any hispanic players. It is also odd to be a racist and not want hispanic players but be perfectly fine with black players all around club house.

Dr. Lorena Martin didnt look good doing what she did I feel she is a smart person and really thought she had a case. As far as baseball goes yeah I think she is pretty much done but she used to work with the Lakers I am sure she knows people personally that will give her a great opportunity somewhere.

Even if the accusations she made are true, I can't imagine that some off-hand remarks about Hispanics being "lazy" or whatever they allegedly did would result in them handicapping themselves by actively avoiding acquiring Latino players.

If they are letting prejudiced opinions guide their decisions, we're even more fucked than we thought.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man I completely missed that fight I knew there was an altercation but I didnt know the details. you were right about Cano and Cruz I dont think they departed because of race they were both old and didnt fit the direction the team wanted to go in. Any team willing to trade for Cano and take on some of that salary you would need to pull that trigger. I am sure the Mets are really frustrated with Cano right now they dont seem to know what to do and they are sitting under .500 probably not going to make the playoffs. Even Diaz looks like a good player but not anywhere near the lights out monster he was with us Jerry was smart to sell high on him

I agree it was smart to sell high on Diaz. I still think he's going to be a great closer for a long time, but his 2018 season was something unlikely to replicate. Also for a contending team, there will always be good closers available on the trade market. On a team that struggles to keep a team below 6 runs by the 7th inning, we didn't really have much need for a closer.

Regarding Cano I was surprised he was struggling like this. I expected his defensive abilities to regress with age, but I didn't expect his bat to fall off for a few years. He'll likely come around, but you're right that the Mets can't be happy with this so far, but seeing Kelenic continue to absolutely destroy the minor leagues can't be a pleasant sight for the Mets.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if the accusations she made are true, I can't imagine that some off-hand remarks about Hispanics being "lazy" or whatever they allegedly did would result in them handicapping themselves by actively avoiding acquiring Latino players.

If they are letting prejudiced opinions guide their decisions, we're even more fucked than we thought.

It just comes off as a jaded ex employee who cries wolf about racism or sexism hoping to get a settlement. Which sports isn’t exactly the best venue to do that when sports franchises nearly always stay away from headaches unless they are exceptional as their job, which obviously she wasn’t with how the team mentally collapsed last year.

I haven’t kept up with it but has anything come out about the Mariners lawsuit for defamation against her? I know it was filed but haven’t heard anything since.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It just comes off as a jaded ex employee who cries wolf about racism or sexism hoping to get a settlement. Which sports isn’t exactly the best venue to do that when sports franchises nearly always stay away from headaches unless they are exceptional as their job, which obviously she wasn’t with how the team mentally collapsed last year.

I haven’t kept up with it but has anything come out about the Mariners lawsuit for defamation against her? I know it was filed but haven’t heard anything since.

Last I heard Martin was going to appeal a court decision that stated that her lawsuit has to go through arbitration and not court. That was March, I think.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No idea. I doubt we'll hear anything more about the story because the Mariners would probably settle out of court and make it a stipulation she keeps her mouth shut.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last I heard Martin was going to appeal a court decision that stated that her lawsuit has to go through arbitration and not court. That was March, I think.

Thanks, just curious because that 5 days after the accusations then the lawsuit everything has gone dark after it seemed like a big scandal.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No idea. I doubt we'll hear anything more about the story because the Mariners would probably settle out of court and make it a stipulation she keeps her mouth shut.

Mariners are trying to make sure they go to arbitration, as her contract stipulates, which is closed to the public. She wants a court date cause she is looking for a public spectacle. A judge sided with the Mariners, so unless it gets overturned, we’ll only here what is released by the parties involved.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks, just curious because that 5 days after the accusations then the lawsuit everything has gone dark after it seemed like a big scandal.

I’m not sure how big a scandal it was outside the fan base. It was never really a Donald sterling type scandal to begin with, and if the Ms weren’t involved I’m not sure how much any of us would’ve heard

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m not sure how big a scandal it was outside the fan base. It was never really a Donald sterling type scandal to begin with, and if the Ms weren’t involved I’m not sure how much any of us would’ve heard

Not quite a Donald Sterling level because there wasn’t tape. If there were tape of Dipoto, Servais or any staff member making, what she says, derogatory remarks again Latin players it would have been the same as Sterling with the NBA. Just like Ray Rice was a big deal but Frank Clark wasn’t. Just my two cents, but I also think that since Seattle is such a weak media market the ordeal didn’t really make a dent. Usually when a professional sports league has to investigate one of their franchises it makes news. Or maybe just nationally Latinos don’t really matter media wise, I’m not sure exactly cause off the record Mariners wanted to kick Ichiro’s ass was a big deal so not totally sure.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariners are trying to make sure they go to arbitration, as her contract stipulates, which is closed to the public. She wants a court date cause she is looking for a public spectacle. A judge sided with the Mariners, so unless it gets overturned, we’ll only here what is released by the parties involved.

I can always count on you whenever I don't know something.

Thanks for the details buddy.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anyone has any interest in wanting to know what's up with Felix. Does not look good.... after this update, I'm 99% confident he will not pitch again this season and as a Mariner. May even his career. His shoulder is gone.

Truly a sad ending.

Félix had an MRI on his shoulder earlier this week after he pulled himself from a game with the Triple-A Tacoma Rainiers after throwing 31 pitches because something didn’t feel quite right.

Moore: It's fair to speculate if Félix has thrown last pitch for Mariners

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anyone has any interest in wanting to know what's up with Felix. Does not look good.... after this update, I'm 99% confident he will not pitch again this season and as a Mariner. May even his career. His shoulder is gone.

Truly a sad ending.

Félix had an MRI on his shoulder earlier this week after he pulled himself from a game with the Triple-A Tacoma Rainiers after throwing 31 pitches because something didn’t feel quite right.

Moore: It's fair to speculate if Félix has thrown last pitch for Mariners

My first thought was it was his way of just taking the year off with hopes of a comeback next year somewhere else and he didn't want to waste pitches for this team. No proof, just my guy feeling. I thought I read the MRI came back with no different than the original one. I 100% agree he might be done for the year.