• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Feeling good about the rest of the season.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For some reason I feel the Resskins are going to play really well from here on out. I belive the Vikings game was rock bottom for this team. Listening to 106, reports were that there was just an intense anger on the side of the players. Not dissapointment, just an intense anger. Shanahan isn't on the hotseat, but he knows it is the next chair over. The players know it is this week or start planning vacations. Griff looked solid last week. We just couldn't protect him. I wouldn't make to much of the interior line. The Williams boys from Minnesota are 2 of the best in the biz and have been for a while now. You add Jared Allen to the mix and that is a very good frontline. Eagles D is suspect. I like us to win this game.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I felt that confident before the vikes game. I just dont know what to make of it now. Penalties should be a disappointment to this team.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I felt that confident before the vikes game. I just dont know what to make of it now. Penalties should be a disappointment to this team.

Once again guys are playing for their futures on this team. SO I expect a few penalties of the over excited type. The only player on the line who might be safe if we lose this week would be Williams. SO I expect the other four to come out with something to prove. Haslett has no choice but to cut the defense lose and live with the eventual roughing the passer or late hit calls. The only way we pull any respectability out of this season is to go out and be the bully. Mike wants this to be a fine upstanding play fair bunch. But at 3-6 we need a little more play hard and alot less fineness. Especially from the defense.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so we are now over the vikes game and we are done with the skins suck , the o/line blows , fire kyle , haslett is a stiff , rak is over rated junk till sunday ?

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so we are now over the vikes game and we are done with the skins suck , the o/line blows , fire kyle , haslett is a stiff , rak is over rated junk till sunday ?

Well until they prove otherwise, they do infact sort of suck right now. The O-line is a weakness, Kyle wont get fired unless Mike does. Haslett... well he needs a bit more talent in a few places. But that being said, he is not up to snuff presently. As far as Rak... see the Haslett comment. We dont have the coverage to allow Rak to do what he is best suited for.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well until they prove otherwise, they do infact sort of suck right now. The O-line is a weakness, Kyle wont get fired unless Mike does. Haslett... well he needs a bit more talent in a few places. But that being said, he is not up to snuff presently. As far as Rak... see the Haslett comment. We dont have the coverage to allow Rak to do what he is best suited for.

i have published o/line stats that say it isnt as bad as its made out to be and how bad is an OC who has had a top 5 offense 4of 6 years running with 2 different teams ?

PFF has Rak as our top rated defender and its not even close .

haslett is questionable at best

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Let's make a differentiation between overreaction statements after a game (especially winnable ones) which i understand, and a big picture view of this team as a whole this season.

Skins suck - well given the record, it's hard to refute that up to this point. Can they change that? Yes. Are there things to be positive about? Absolutely, the core offensive group provides a lot of hope for the future.

The Oline blows - it blows at pass protection with 7 step drops and no mobile pocket. It's pretty good otherwise.

Fire Kyle - He's provided consistent top ten offenses, including this year for the skins. Yes, he's not always perfect with play calling, but is he really that bad? Subjective. To me, not so much.

Haslett is a stiff - I just can't see him remaining after this year. All hate pretty understandable here.

Rak is overrated - this is pretty subjective. I think it comes down to expectations vs execution this year. No doubt he has fallen short of expectations for his return and impact on the field. Are there valid reasons for this? Perhaps. It comes down to what $value you place on him and that is truly up for debate. Btw, I like Rak and hope we retain him, at a salary comparable to what others at his position and production are receiving, not based on future expectations. Really think a good ILB and a few pieces on defense, will make a big difference for both Rak and Kerrigans production.

Being a skins fan begs the question of patience. Anger and frustration is valid after the many years of poor teams we've seen. However, for me, as a franchise, we are FINALLY moving in the right direction with salary decisions and character players. I give Shanahan total props for that. He really walked into a mess 4 years ago. I am beyond frustrated with the state of affairs at 3-6, but remain very hopeful and optimistic that we have the core players to move forward this year and beyond on the right track.

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being a skins fan begs the question of patience. Anger and frustration is valid after the many years of poor teams we've seen. However, for me, as a franchise, we are FINALLY moving in the right direction

I am beyond frustrated with the state of affairs at 3-6, but remain very hopeful and optimistic that we have the core players to move forward this year and beyond on the right track.

:agree:
Mike is paying the price for the dysfunctional years of the Cerrato reign, not just with his team, but the fan base as well. If u call for firing Mike, then you're no better than the owner who angered u for years with his meddling & influence.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Firing Shanahan right now would be about as smart as firing Marty was to bring in Spurrior. The team isnt where it needs to be yet, but a total shift would likely do more harm than good at this point.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Firing Shanahan right now would be about as smart as firing Marty was to bring in Spurrior. The team isnt where it needs to be yet, but a total shift would likely do more harm than good at this point.

100% in agreement with you. Now Haz and his entire team is another story.

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Darell has been in the news talking about leadership lately ... but wasn't he one of the "leaders" in the lockeroom who got Marty fired after just one season ?

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darell has been in the news talking about leadership lately ... but wasn't he one of the "leaders" in the lockeroom who got Marty fired after just one season ?

I believe so. Look, Darrell Green is a quality, character guy who showed leadership by the way he played on the field and exemplified humbleness on and off it. The issue of whether he believes there is a leader in the skins locker room, is an opinion, not a fact. In his mind there may not be a leader who is characterized by what he believes are core qualities. I would further guess that Green is not a fan of some of Griffs outspokenness off the field, never was his style of play and he may not see that as a strength in a leadership role.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100% in agreement with you. Now Haz and his entire team is another story.

Cali... IM not so sure Haslett needs to go either actually. We have not had solid safety play the past four years, mainly due to trying to plug other holes on the team. The entire coaching staff took over a hot mess when they walked in. The defense plays solid in spurts, and I think if we had more talent in a few key spots that Haslett would field a good unit. I would much rather have 3-5 new starters trying to learn a defense that is already in place, than 3-5 new starters AND a new system being put into place even if its still a 3-4 defense. Now do I think he could get fired?? Sure. Do I think he must be fired?? Not unless there is a candidate that is miles better. And even then, you still run the risk of producing like most teams that switch DCs and systems. Its usually a 2-3 year process for a defense to gel when a new coach is brought in. Haslett has been hampered by a lack of over all talent in some areas and no draft picks or cap space to address needs. So we have been forced to start the likes of Mediue Williams. Frankly IM amazed we havent given up the record for points against not because of the coach, but because we have been starting guys that should be 3rd string in some key roles.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cali... IM not so sure Haslett needs to go either actually. We have not had solid safety play the past four years, mainly due to trying to plug other holes on the team. The entire coaching staff took over a hot mess when they walked in. The defense plays solid in spurts, and I think if we had more talent in a few key spots that Haslett would field a good unit. I would much rather have 3-5 new starters trying to learn a defense that is already in place, than 3-5 new starters AND a new system being put into place even if its still a 3-4 defense. Now do I think he could get fired?? Sure. Do I think he must be fired?? Not unless there is a candidate that is miles better. And even then, you still run the risk of producing like most teams that switch DCs and systems. Its usually a 2-3 year process for a defense to gel when a new coach is brought in. Haslett has been hampered by a lack of over all talent in some areas and no draft picks or cap space to address needs. So we have been forced to start the likes of Mediue Williams. Frankly IM amazed we havent given up the record for points against not because of the coach, but because we have been starting guys that should be 3rd string in some key roles.

I'm on the fence about Haz and have considered the points you have mentioned, which are excellent. The biggest point in his favor is the consistency argument for me. However, I can't see him staying on, if there is not a better performance by our D the rest of this season. Talent is a point as well, but lack of adjustments in the second halves of games has been a head scratcher to me, particularly with the pass rush when we hold a lead in the game.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't fire Mike. With a healthy RG3 he won the division. An RG3 knee tweek away from a divisional playoff game in Atlanta. Shanahan has missed on guys like Morgan, but has hit on so many more. RG3, Morris, Kerrigan, Rak, Amerson, Trent, Cousins, Reed, etc. I can't wait to see waht he does with the big bag of money we have stored away. The Skins were a joke when he got here. I remember the Zorn years very well. Playcalling coming from the box, to the sideline, bypassing Zorn, to the QB. Crazy! Fire Haslett and Mike has got to find a way to some of his best players from ending up in his doghouse. Communication. I do get the sense that the team doesn't care for Mike too much. Maybe that's a good thing after the Zorn and his laid back, play some rap and rock and roll music during practice era

Last edited by a moderator:

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm on the fence about Haz and have considered the points you have mentioned, which are excellent. The biggest point in his favor is the consistency argument for me. However, I can't see him staying on, if there is not a better performance by our D the rest of this season. Talent is a point as well, but lack of adjustments in the second halves of games has been a head scratcher to me, particularly with the pass rush when we hold a lead in the game.

I have thought about the 2nd half adjustments thing, and especially in light of the pass rush. And here is the thing, you can dial up the pass rush, but only if you have the secondary to cover it. How many times have we gotten burned on the blitz because they got the ball off quick and the secondary just couldnt recover in time. Its one thing if you got two safetys that can play sideline to sideline, and make a play if the ball gets past the LBs, but we dont have that. So we have to stay conservative and continue to t least try and play bend but dont break. Sadly we have not even had the talent to make that work. Add in the fact that our smartest ILB is declining in his level of play and second half adjustments that can be made are limited at best.

Put it this way, if you are playing 1-1 against Shaq, and you are 5'2" you might know he is going to dunk it on you every time, but aside from just trying to box him out and play for rebounds... exactly what adjustments can you make aside from getting taller??

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have thought about the 2nd half adjustments thing, and especially in light of the pass rush. And here is the thing, you can dial up the pass rush, but only if you have the secondary to cover it. How many times have we gotten burned on the blitz because they got the ball off quick and the secondary just couldnt recover in time. Its one thing if you got two safetys that can play sideline to sideline, and make a play if the ball gets past the LBs, but we dont have that. So we have to stay conservative and continue to t least try and play bend but dont break. Sadly we have not even had the talent to make that work. Add in the fact that our smartest ILB is declining in his level of play and second half adjustments that can be made are limited at best.

Put it this way, if you are playing 1-1 against Shaq, and you are 5'2" you might know he is going to dunk it on you every time, but aside from just trying to box him out and play for rebounds... exactly what adjustments can you make aside from getting taller??

That's why I'm on the fence. Like the way you laid out your point. But with the Oline they faced in Minny, can you make that argument? Feels like that time, they weren't facing Shaq.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why I'm on the fence. Like the way you laid out your point. But with the Oline they faced in Minny, can you make that argument? Feels like that time, they weren't facing Shaq.

NOpe they werent. But they were still facing an offense with one of the best RBs in the game. We arent yet talented enough to be an average defense. So everyone is going to get their yards on us. You can only hide our weak spots for so long with scheme and adjustments. Eventually it catches up to us. As I said, as weak as we are at safety, Im shocked we dont give up even more points.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NOpe they werent. But they were still facing an offense with one of the best RBs in the game. We arent yet talented enough to be an average defense. So everyone is going to get their yards on us. You can only hide our weak spots for so long with scheme and adjustments. Eventually it catches up to us. As I said, as weak as we are at safety, Im shocked we dont give up even more points.

No doubt, talent plays a huge role. The question I ask myself is, "Dont great coaches place their players, regardless of talent, in the best position to play well?" Has Haz done that consistently? I'm not sure, leaning towards no, at this point. With the exception of the latter half of last season, we've seen 3-1/2 years of meh on that. Not sure you go with that coach, moving forward, based on our defensive performance, is where I'm at.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my point in all of this is after the vikes loss people fought me long and hard about all sorts of issues and now after almost a week i get the " well we might have a chance " post

no one wanted to hear that after the game and no one wanted to hear me say what would happen before the vikes game of we lost

so much melodrama and very little non emotional thinking

we can beat the eagles but we cant do it if we come out like the 1st game , or the cowboys game , of the 2nd half vikings game

a win could help us but it means little if we lose the following week