• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Favorite SB?

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was going to ask what best SB ever was but there's really no way to quantify 'greatest', so what are some of your favorite Super Bowls?

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers vs Cardinals 2009
Giants vs Pats 2008
Packers vs Steelers 2011

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Easy answer for me (other than that I never remember the Roman numeral!): Broncos win over GB after the '97 season. So many reasons, including that it was the first of back-to-back SB wins, following an 0-4 record in the big game in which each Broncos loss set a new record for largest margin of defeat!

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been around a while so I have a few.

SB XIII. Cowboys vs. Steelers, round 2. (Round 1 was SB X). Chuck Noll said, "It was like a heavy weight fight. Each side was landing huge blows but couldn't knock the other out". That's about right. Best SB ever, IMHO. Both sides had turnovers and made the other pay, both side had big plays, Roger just about brought the 'Boys back. It was a great game. It really was.

SB XVI. 49er's vs. Bengals. I liked this one because Paul Brown was a douche bag to Bill Walsh (long story) and Bill flat out beat the Bengals in that one. To this day, and because of the game, my Bengal friends still refer to Joe Montana as a, "Ball hogging ass clown". IMHO is was losing this game that kept Ken Anderson out of Canton, Ohio.

SB XLII. Giants vs. Pats, round 1. The game inself was something of a snoozer most of the way with very little scoring. The Pats came in undefeated and let the world know it. Someone even wrote a book, "19-0". No one gave the Giants a chance. David Tyree made a great catch to keep the late drive going and Plex caught the winning TD pass. Score one for the underdog.

SB XLIII. Again, supposed to be a mismatch. The Steelers had one of the better defenses anyone had seen in a while and the Cards were a WC. Warner and co. mounted a comeback and took the lead late in the 4th quarter. He left Big Ben to much clock and Santonio Holmes made one of the greatest catches in SB history to take the lead for good.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My favorite was Super Bowl XIII.

Staubach came so close to bringing the Cowboys back. Jackie Smith is still probably kicking himself for dropping a ball that he could catch in his sleep. This game had it all. Both fanbases & fans of other teams had to enjoy it. So many great players going against each other in their prime.

Last edited by a moderator:

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My favorite was Super Bowl XIII.

Staubach came so close to bringing the Cowboys back. Jackie Smith is still probably kicking himself for dropping a ball that he could catch in his sleep. This game had it all. Both fanbases & fans of other teams had to enjoy it. So many great players going against each other in their prime.

That route originally had him going short - and it had him running an extra 10 yards. Roger would later say that Jackie had just as much as anyone else to do with the 'Boys getting to the SB that year and he's taken more heat than he deserved for that.

So many twists and turns in this one....from Terry being stripped of the ball when he was in his stance to Randy White fumbling due to the cast on his arm (and let's not forget Pittsburgh's kicker slipping on the kick off that sent that ball right to him).

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That route originally had him going short - and it had him running an extra 10 yards. Roger would later say that Jackie had just as much as anyone else to do with the 'Boys getting to the SB that year and he's taken more heat than he deserved for that.

So many twists and turns in this one....from Terry being stripped of the ball when he was in his stance to Randy White fumbling due to the cast on his arm (and let's not forget Pittsburgh's kicker slipping on the kick off that sent that ball right to him).

There's a reason Jackie is in the Hall of Fame. He was a great player. He would have caught that pass 99/100 times. This game had it all. I hope every Super Bowl is half as good as this game was. I enjoyed the NFC Championship game. It was nice to see some big hits for a change.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Easy answer for me (other than that I never remember the Roman numeral!): Broncos win over GB after the '97 season. So many reasons, including that it was the first of back-to-back SB wins, following an 0-4 record in the big game in which each Broncos loss set a new record for largest margin of defeat!

One of my favorites also. Colts over Bears after the '06 season is another.

Tacoma_canuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
XIII for me as well is way up there for all the reasons mentioned.

XLIII Steelers/Cards absolutely fantastic final few minutes

XXIII Niners/Bengals 2. I didn't root for either team but that final drive cemented Joe Montana's status as an all-time great, although one could argue he was already there.

XVIII LA Raiders/ Skins. A total blow-out, I know but I was a huge Marcus Allen fan & Washington was so heavily favored . Defending champs, 14-2 record, best run defense in football, etc. Black Sunday for their fans for sure. Allen was simply amazing in that game.

ram29jackson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ottis-anderson-05030607.jpg

gal-plays-10-jpg.jpg

223px-Super_Bowl_XXV.svg.png

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My favorite was Super Bowl XXXII. Aside from the obvious reason of it being the Broncos first Super Bowl win, there are a number of other factors that I think elevate it to one of the greatest Super Bowls ever.

You have a huge underdog overcoming the odds and winning. At the time, the Broncos were the second biggest Super Bowl underdog to pull off the upset.

You've got the sentimental favorite in John Elway finally getting his ring. I think everyone in America that wasn't a Packers fan was pulling for the Broncos in this one.

You've got Terrell Davis overcoming a migraine to rush for 157 yards, 3 touchdowns, and win the Super Bowl MVP. And it was essentially a homecoming for TD, as he grew up in the area.

You've got close game throughout; the biggest lead of the game was Broncos 17-7, and that only lasted for a few minutes. Other than that, no team led by more than a touchdown.

You've got a game that went down to the wire (when so many previous Super Bowls had been blowouts) that required a defensive stand in the final minute to preserve the win.

You've got the end of the AFC's 13 game Super Bowl losing streak, as well as redemption not just for Elway, but arguably the entire qb class of '83.

Finally, you've got one of the Super Bowl's most indelible images: 37 year old John Elway, on 3rd down, diving headfirst and helicoptering for a critical first down to extend a touchdown drive. A moment that after the game Broncos players said cemented in their mind that they were going to win.

IndyAndy

I can't reMember
Paddock Stand, Section 23, Row QQ, Seat 4
Hoopla Cash
$ 545.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After all of the years of frustration as a Colts fan (people used to joke that "Colts" was an acronym for "Count on losing this Sunday"), SB XLI was especially sweet for me. :)