• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fantasy Football News and Rumors

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@HaroldSeattle ,
Well shit...

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports free agent RB Melvin Gordon is "in discussions" with the Ravens.​

Gordon, whose return to Denver seems more unlikely every day, would create a fantasy backfield nightmare if he signs with Baltimore and joins J.K. Dobbins and Gus Edwards, both of whom are returning from ACL injuries
Well just have to hope that doesn't happen.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@HaroldSeattle ,
Well shit...

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports free agent RB Melvin Gordon is "in discussions" with the Ravens.​

Gordon, whose return to Denver seems more unlikely every day, would create a fantasy backfield nightmare if he signs with Baltimore and joins J.K. Dobbins and Gus Edwards, both of whom are returning from ACL injuries
Would definitely muddy the waters

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@HaroldSeattle ,
Well shit...

Ugh. Definitely suggests they just don't trust Dobbins/Edwards enough this year.

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figured they would draft someone with one of their 5 4th round picks. I don't think they will go after a FA when really all they need is a guy in case things go crazy again. But, you never know how these guys will look after an injury. They learned that last year with Ronnie Stanley.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figured they would draft someone with one of their 5 4th round picks. I don't think they will go after a FA when really all they need is a guy in case things go crazy again. But, you never know how these guys will look after an injury. They learned that last year with Ronnie Stanley.
thats assuming that all their rb's come back 100%. Which is probably the fear, someone lost a step

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lions head coach Dan Campbell said an elite quarterback isn't necessary for long-term success in the NFL.​

So coaching Drew Brees with very much success, and then going to Winston/HIll/Brdigewater with limited success, proves this theory in what way again??

I mean, no he's not entirely wrong, BUT, if you don't have a great QB, you'd better damned well have a great defense and a strong rushing attack Neither of which he has in Detriot. Although it wouldn't take much for them to get there with Swift and WIlliams..little better line and a threat downfield that Goff might at least on occasion throw towards

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lions head coach Dan Campbell said an elite quarterback isn't necessary for long-term success in the NFL.​

So coaching Drew Brees with very much success, and then going to Winston/HIll/Brdigewater with limited success, proves this theory in what way again??

I mean, no he's not entirely wrong, BUT, if you don't have a great QB, you'd better damned well have a great defense and a strong rushing attack Neither of which he has in Detriot. Although it wouldn't take much for them to get there with Swift and WIlliams..little better line and a threat downfield that Goff might at least on occasion throw towards

To add… the Goff to Stafford difference couldn’t be more obvious.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thats assuming that all their rb's come back 100%. Which is probably the fear, someone lost a step
That's my guess as well, one or both, aren't having the smoothest of rehabs.

Bummer though, I truly saw superstar in Dobbins game. Maybe it still is, but not trending in the right direction

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's my guess as well, one or both, aren't having the smoothest of rehabs.

Bummer though, I truly saw superstar in Dobbins game. Maybe it still is, but not trending in the right direction
Nope. But maybe its just a guy to reduce workload even for a year. They really like liked their too two backs.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Somebody has to take this approach, because the drop-off from the top eight QBs to the bottom eight QBs is massive. If there's no parity among QBs, somebody has to find a way to win with a below-average QB.

I'm not sure it will work any more, though, because so much has changed in favor of the QB. If you have Tom Brady with a porous line vs Aaron Donald, LT, Reggie White and Mean Joe Greene, somehow I think it ends up favoring Brady.

That's why teams are turning themselves inside-out to get an elite QB.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somebody has to take this approach, because the drop-off from the top eight QBs to the bottom eight QBs is massive. If there's no parity among QBs, somebody has to find a way to win with a below-average QB.

I'm not sure it will work any more, though, because so much has changed in favor of the QB. If you have Tom Brady with a porous line vs Aaron Donald, LT, Reggie White and Mean Joe Greene, somehow I think it ends up favoring Brady.

49ers and Ravens come to mind, although some might argue that Lamar is elite, he isn't much of a pass throwing QB. The Rams did get to a SB with Goff. Obviously it's difficult but also possible to win without a elite QB IMO.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well sure, and therein lies the tiny little bit of wiggle room for what he was talking about. Those 8 or so elite QB'ed teams, are virtual locks for playoffs every year, but there's 12 playoff teams. So if you don't overexposure your mediocre QB, protect him, and lean on the run game to create passing opportunities, and have a defense that can keep things close..you can win. But, that's the only way it'll work, so it's rare, and the margin for error is paper thin.

I point to TENN as evidence. Good D, great run game, even without Henry, a very effective run game, and Tanny will never be considered as anything more than slightly above mediocre.

You can do it, but commitment to the run game, a REAL commitment, and above average defense is a must, you cannot half assed the run game and expect to have a mediocre QB take you to the playoffs.
Indy another instance where this formula currently works..along with SF, Balt, NE

This is why I bang my head against the wall every off season watching teams without elite QB's, continue to ignore the RB position. Miami is doubling down on that thus year, sub par QB, and rather than help him, take some pressure off him, they go get Reek Hill, which only puts more on his shoulders, and they still have no run game. Atlanta right there with them, except at least they didn't go all in with the 7/2 off suit, no RB, no WR, no QB..obviously the plan is F-it

If you are not one of those 8, if there isn't a way to become one of those 8, and there isn't a 9th on the horizon, AND you have playoff aspirations...that's where you build, the run game, and defense, it's a shit ton easier than trying to get a great result out of a mediocre QB

Last edited:

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for the QB conversation, i think we've seen enough evidence in the Super Bowl era that it doesnt matter.

If you have an elite QB, that helps. i.e. Mahomes, Brady, Ben, Manning. But if you have the RB, the defense and the weapons, you can still get the win. i.e. Ravens, Eagles, Seahawks, Broncos.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for the QB conversation, i think we've seen enough evidence in the Super Bowl era that it doesnt matter.

If you have an elite QB, that helps. i.e. Mahomes, Brady, Ben, Manning. But if you have the RB, the defense and the weapons, you can still get the win. i.e. Ravens, Eagles, Seahawks, Broncos.
It's arguable that Lamar, Wilson, and even end of the road Peyton Manning would all be in the elite conversation. Peyton might not have had elite production or execution, but he certainly was still elite at being the feild general. Certainly would be "above mediocre". Foles however..yes absolutely, might even have been below mediocre. Of the past 10 SB's, I would put Foles as the only guy who doesn't meet 'elite' criteria, with Eil being a close second, however, Eli was better than half the feild in his hay days

But I don't really take the statement to mean 'super bowl winner', or even SB loser, as the end all be all of 'long term success'. Are you consistently in the playoffs? That is where I put that bar. Once you get there, all bets are off and a hot hand can get you to the big sho.
But you'll need "long term' success throughout the 16-17 week season to get that chance.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you consistently in the playoffs? That is where I put that bar. Once you get there, all bets are off and a hot hand can get you to the big sho.
But you'll need "long term' success throughout the 16-17 week season to get that chance.
I understand what youre saying and its hard to argue against it. Yet some will say that a guy like Brady is where he is because he benefited from a poor division. The only real competition was meeting Peyton/Indy in the AFC playoffs.

Im not suggesting this is the case in every situation, but a lot of "consistent" playoff contenders are the beneficiaries of poor divisions - Packers, Seahawks in their heyday, Niners in their heyday, the Steelers, KC in recent years, and the aforementioned Patriots.

After coasting thru the regular season, the real competition was only a 2 or 3 game playoff stretch.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand what youre saying and its hard to argue against it. Yet some will say that a guy like Brady is where he is because he benefited from a poor division. The only real competition was meeting Peyton/Indy in the AFC playoffs.

Im not suggesting this is the case in every situation, but a lot of "consistent" playoff contenders are the beneficiaries of poor divisions - Packers, Seahawks in their heyday, Niners in their heyday, the Steelers, KC in recent years, and the aforementioned Patriots.

After coasting thru the regular season, the real competition was only a 2 or 3 game playoff stretch.
Well again...yes, your correct more often than not those teams had week divisions...they also had elite QB play, and I'm not too sure anyone would pin Brady's, or Big Ben's, or Young/Montana's, or Mahommes' resumes on being built vs bad divisional opponents. They also had stretches where the Bills or Jets or Vikings, or Rams, would teach up and beat them down from time to time.

And the years they were challenged a little? Most often, a team with mediocrity at QB, strong defense, and a run game. That's isually how the Jets/Buffalo occasionally sniped Brady and the Pats, that's often how the Vikings reached up and beat the Packers with Rodgers, how the Rams took the mantle from the Seahawks, than went and got elite QB play on top of it and won a SB..and that's now how NE will on occasion, beat Josh Allen and Buffalo, even though, on paper, Buffalo should be handed the division for the foreseeable future.