• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fantasy Dynasty Compensatory Picks

Good idea to include in your dynasty league?

• Yes.

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • No.

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Undecided.

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Compensate me in many leagues please. Watson. Lol
Great example.
My guess is some owners would say that his woes started before the rookie draft and that if the Watson owner decided to let the chips fall where they may, then that is on the Watson owner.
Others may counter that Watson is rostered in 99% of leagues and started 94%. So losing a player of that "startability" deserves a compensatory pick.

Maybe that is a statistic to look at: Percentage as a starter.
Just looking at this league, only 6 of my 22 players are over 90% started.
Compared that to the last place team from 2020, he only had 1 player over 90% started.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Compensate me in many leagues please. Watson. Lol

Great example.
My guess is some owners would say that his woes started before the rookie draft and that if the Watson owner decided to let the chips fall where they may, then that is on the Watson owner.
Others may counter that Watson is rostered in 99% of leagues and started 94%. So losing a player of that "startability" deserves a compensatory pick.

Compared that to the last place team from 2020, he only had 1 player over 90% started.
I wouldn't be on board for anyone suspended or otherwise banned from the league.

Retirees, yes, injured for the year, or put on PUP, whatever, yes, long term illness, yes...your guy screwed up, sexually assaulted his masseuse (allegedly)...you're one your own

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great example.

...but in a dynasty, the Watson owner already has him. The rookie draft is non applicable in this situation, no?

Seems to be a case by case struggle as opposed to something that can be mandated by a vague rule.

What about an individual compensatory pick application process, where an owner can nominate a player for their “inconvenience” to be compensated?

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great example.

Hi, Joe!

In that case, why not also injury? And what if it’s not clear what the NFL will do (Ray Rice)? What if the retirement isn’t really a retirement (Favre)?

Can compensatory picks be retracted?

All this and more coming soon to Compensatory Pick Commissioner Headaches.

First pick for worst record is already a compensatory pick, no?

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if the retirement isn’t really a retirement (Favre)?
That would be a tricky one. No doubt.
But the Packers still owned the rights to Favre and were able to trade a retired Favre to the Jets.
Technically, Favre never missed a game thru 3 retirements and 3 team changes.

In the same vein, a player that retires and then decides to return would still be "under contract" by the last dynasty owner.
I admit, this can be messy. And yes, maybe a huge headache.
Perhaps a 90% start baseline is a good gauge. Only a handful of players would qualify to be deemed compensatory.

I still like the idea.
Worth discussing.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First pick for worst record is already a compensatory pick, no?
Resurrecting this thread.
We lost an owner.
After 4 seasons, his team just got progressively worse.
In all honesty, maybe he will even tell you that it was a combination of poor decisions, bad trades, and impatience with certain players.

Perhaps the idea of compensatory picks is flawed, but I feel it will give dynasty owners of bad team some encouragement to stick with it.
I do want to stress that this is among friends. No money is involved.

Based on the discussion from last year and after giving it some more thought, I feel the league rule would be to award the worst 3 teams one single compensatory pick at the end of round 2 in the rookie draft.
Or, considered making it only the 2 worst teams and the next-worst "points for" team. Still pondering.
I do want to at least make the proposal to the league while everyone is still active and paying attention to their lineups.
Since this league is on Sleeper, according to the internet, they do have an option which does allow for the addition of compensatory picks in the draft.

Just thought I'd bounce it off of you guys first to get your opinions.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Resurrecting this thread.
We lost an owner.
After 4 seasons, his team just got progressively worse.
In all honesty, maybe he will even tell you that it was a combination of poor decisions, bad trades, and impatience with certain players.

Perhaps the idea of compensatory picks is flawed, but I feel it will give dynasty owners of bad team some encouragement to stick with it.
I do want to stress that this is among friends. No money is involved.

Based on the discussion from last year and after giving it some more thought, I feel the league rule would be to award the worst 3 teams one single compensatory pick at the end of round 2 in the rookie draft.
Or, considered making it only the 2 worst teams and the next-worst "points for" team. Still pondering.
I do want to at least make the proposal to the league while everyone is still active and paying attention to their lineups.
Since this league is on Sleeper, according to the internet, they do have an option which does allow for the addition of compensatory picks in the draft.

Just thought I'd bounce it off of you guys first to get your opinions.
A compensatory pick after round two isn't going to rescue a terrible team. You'd lose that guy anyway. (Sounds like @tlance wants that team, though.)

Possibly, possibly, each team would have to leave three guys "unprotected" and these bad teams could poach with compensatory picks before the draft.

In that case compensatory picks should be awarded in order of the most-optimized lineup over the final three weeks (to keep bad teams fielding competitive lineups late). That would keep the end of the season a little more fun for bad teams and help them out more for the next season.

Bandit

RIP to the real Bandit
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I know that you are revisiting the compensatory picks, but I'm with Wil that giving a team a pick at the end of round 2 really isn't going to be much to turn around a bad team. It also makes it difficult because you can trade draft picks in dynasty, so once you "award" these compensatory picks to the owners can they then trade them? I would take Wil's suggestion a step further and do something like every year or every other year each team can only hold 12 or 14 of their players for the next season and everybody else goes back into the draft. You'd have to make that decision early though because it would make a huge difference in the value of draft picks whatever year you start it. That's really the only way to even out the teams more. It would kind of be a happy medium between a keeper league and a dynasty league. There's a lot of things this would do including a plethora of trading activity at the end of the season right before the trade deadline for teams that have a lot more keepable guys than the number you pick. In fact, as I'm typing this, it really sounds like a league format I might start next year in a new startup league.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Possibly, possibly, each team would have to leave three guys "unprotected" and these bad teams could poach with compensatory picks before the draft.

I would take Wil's suggestion a step further and do something like every year or every other year each team can only hold 12 or 14 of their players for the next season and everybody else goes back into the draft.
Really like this idea.
Think you both helped me come to a realization...
In our dynasty league, we have a taxi squad that stays all season. A simple solution would be to throw all taxi players back into the free agent pool at the end of the season.
This would force owners to move players to their active roster or lose them. Either way, the player pool grows for the off-season (and it may encourage more trading).