• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fantasy Dynasty Compensatory Picks

Good idea to include in your dynasty league?

• Yes.

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • No.

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Undecided.

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL awards compensatory picks.
One article about the NFL's rules about how compensatory picks are awarded admitted that it is a rather secretive process.
It basically boils down to the value of a player that a team loses to free agency compared to the other teams.

I was actually considering adding compensatory picks to our charter for my other dynasty league.
Some history: Our league only goes back to 2019.
One owner drafted Antonio Brown (OAK) with his second round pick.
The same owner then drafted Andrew Luck with his fifth round pick.
Luck was the 4th QB drafted and then surprisingly announced his retirement a month after this draft.
About a week after he lost Luck, AB was released by the Raiders and signed the same day by the Patriots.
AB only played 1 game before falling off the NFL map.

Through no fault of his own, this owner lost 2 top 5 players at their position (at the time).

Floated the idea to two other owners that have been doing FF for about 20 years like me.
One likes the idea. The other does not.
However, the owner that does not like it admitted that he would be agreeable to a compensatory pick for Luck.

The compensatory pick would be awarded at the end of round 2.
For reference, the NFL generally awards their compensatory picks after rounds 3, 5 and 6.

We had an open discussion about it.
The other 2 owners suggested making age limits for each position.
But I think ages can open a can of worms.

To make the rule simple, I feel that if a player is top 5 at his position and he retires (as Luck did), then the team should be awarded a compensatory pick.
The operative word here is "retire" which would eliminate players who get severely injured or are head-cases and get suspended for violating the league's conduct policies.

So I open this topic up to this forum.
Is it interesting enough to pursue?
Can it be implemented with minimal gripes?
Or is it a headache that should be avoided?

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be all for it. You'd have to have a strict definition of "top 5" though..is it ADP, is it points from previous year, is it sone sort if consensus rankings? Should the owners get together and vote yay or no on a case by case basis, top 5 or no??

But, yeah, regardless of the setup, I think its a great idea

Bandit

RIP to the real Bandit
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Completely opposite of Treff. LOL. That just sounds like a nightmare. You would be using each owners discretion to determine a top 5 player and I'm not sure all situations would be equal. I think because your draft was last year it's hard to see the complications, but let's say you drafted Josh Jacobs last year and he sustains a lot of concussions and retires in the 2022 season when he is still top 5 at his position after only having him for 4 years. Should that person get the same compensatory pick as the owner that drafted Calvin Johnson in 2007 and got to own him for 9 years or a Barry Sanders owner that got to own him for 10 years or a Luck owner that got to own him for 6 years. That same year I had Andrew Luck and Doug Baldwin both retire out of nowhere, but I just think that's the risk of the dynasty format that's built in. If Tom Brady at 43 finishes top 5 and then retires that owner shouldn't get a compensatory pick because the risk of drafting him or trading for him is built in. Age and injury history has to be taken into account in dynasty so much more than in redraft. If you draft a guy with a history of concussions and he retires because he gets another concussion, then perhaps you shouldn't have drafted him. I know that's rough, but you can trade players and picks to improve your roster in dynasty more than in any other format.

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that it sucks, but I would be against it, too, I think. When I first read it, I thought it may be a yearly thing to do the comp picks. But I reread it and it seems to be more of a one time thing because the dude had a perfect storm thing happen to him. I am totally with Bandit on not doing it at all for Brown. He fucked up. You don't want to open that up for anyone to try to pull that in the future. I could see a case made for Luck, but I would be worried that every year a couple of teams would be trying to argue that their situation deserves a comp pick. I think I would just try to avoid that headache. But, your may trust your league mates more than I do mine.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bunch o sticks in the mud :)

So, when can we expect to see comp pick in The Bandit dynasty, eh? :)

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@TREFF @Bandit @femurov
Your comments have been very helpful. Thank you.

Perhaps the compensatory guidelines can include a 5-5-5 rule.
Top 5 in fantasy scoring at their position.
5 years or less in the league.
Top 5 ADP at their position.
If the player meets all of these criteria, and the player retires, their team can be awarded a compensatory pick.

Thoughts?

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@TREFF @Bandit @femurov
Your comments have been very helpful. Thank you.

Perhaps the compensatory guidelines can include a 5-5-5 rule.
Top 5 in fantasy scoring at their position.
5 years or less in the league.
Top 5 ADP at their position.
If the player meets all of these criteria, and the player retires, their team can be awarded a compensatory pick.

Thoughts?
ADP in your league and overall? Which site would you use for reference?

All questions that would need to be answered.

I love the idea though

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
idk... I don't mind the idea... But the compensation is so little that I wouldn't spend much time figuring this out...

Bottom of the second round in a dynasty is a project rookie... especially in deeper dynasty leagues... sure you can get lucky...

I say, either make the "reward" more than an end of 2nd round pick, if you are going to put effort into making the rule and going through the new rule process...

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Under the 5-5-5 rule, Andrew Luck would not qualify for a compensatory pick.
Would have to be a 5-6-7 rule for RB-WR-QB.
But i can foresee anomalies too like Bandit pointed out.
Maybe this would be more of a headache?

I am glad we talked this out though.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking on this on my drives between job sites this AM...How about just attaching it to age and usage?
If a guy reitires, suffers career ending injury, and is/was 20-29.99 years old, AND you started him in at least X% (I would suggest 66) of your weekly matchups the previous year, you get a pick between RDS 2 & 3. If the player was 30+, you get one at the end of the 3rd, or nothing, whatever you like. This accomplishes eliminating the headache of who qualifies and who doesnt, what ranking system to use, whose rankings do you go by, and insures that the player was an important part of that owners team..as I'm not sure the important thing is for said player to be top 5, but rather for said player to have been a "key cog" for that owner.

Just a thought running through my head

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fun idea, but prob too much work

the instances would be extremely rare too, so not sure it would really apply more than to a handful of cases over the next 5-10yrs

I'm actually agreeing with Milk here - if you are going to go to the trouble of instituting this rule and figuring out if players achieve whatever age/usage/starting %/etc threshold to be worthy of a comp pick, it should be end of 1st, to at least make it have some decent value.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more i think about it, this all stems from the owner who lost AB and Luck in the inaugural season.
I really cant see this situation happening again.
Two seasons in, you should have a good feel for the top tiers, the average and the mediocre. There really shouldnt be a need for compensatory picks after the inaugural season.
The 2 owners whose opinions i asked - while they had different opinions - both did say they would concede a compensatory pick for the Luck owner. They suggested we ask the league for a vote.
I suppose the poll could include end of round 1, end of round 2, or no pick.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more i think about it, this all stems from the owner who lost AB and Luck in the inaugural season.
I really cant see this situation happening again.
Two seasons in, you should have a good feel for the top tiers, the average and the mediocre. There really shouldnt be a need for compensatory picks after the inaugural season.
The 2 owners whose opinions i asked - while they had different opinions - both did say they would concede a compensatory pick for the Luck owner. They suggested we ask the league for a vote.
I suppose the poll could include end of round 1, end of round 2, or no pick.
YAY POLLS!

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember this discussion?

I went ahead and broke protocol, did not ask other owners, and did not have a league vote, then went ahead and awarded 1 owner a compensatory pick after our rookie draft to an owner who missed the rookie draft. (He had technical difficulties and did not even rank his players.)

One reason I acted so quickly and without the league's buy-in was because i did not want a lag in time to create more of an unfair opportunity to the owner getting the lone compensatory pick.

I briefly spelled this out on the site reasoning that said owner was essentially getting the 49th pick that everyone else had passed over anyway.

No one has complained. Not even privately. I sincerely hope i didnt just open a can of worms?

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember this discussion?

I went ahead and broke protocol, did not ask other owners, and did not have a league vote, then went ahead and awarded 1 owner a compensatory pick after our rookie draft to an owner who missed the rookie draft. (He had technical difficulties and did not even rank his players.)

One reason I acted so quickly and without the league's buy-in was because i did not want a lag in time to create more of an unfair opportunity to the owner getting the lone compensatory pick.

I briefly spelled this out on the site reasoning that said owner was essentially getting the 49th pick that everyone else had passed over anyway.

No one has complained. Not even privately. I sincerely hope i didnt just open a can of worms?

you should be good here - I really can't see anyone complaining about this, or trying to "take advantage" of getting "free" +49th overall picks out of a future rookie draft, lol

if you implement any type of taxi squad with roster cuts before the fantasy season starts, the odds of that player having enough value to survive the chopping block would be fairly impressive.

now that it is all said and done, who did the owner take at pick 49???

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We do have a 4-player taxi squad. Some owners made cuts before the draft. Some still have to make their cuts. With Sleeper, you can have more players than the roster limit. However, if you are over your roster limit, you will not be able to add free agents. So there's the incentive to trim your roster.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WR Tre'Quan Smith NO.

yup, there's plenty of rookies that offer the unknown of potentially being good that I'd rather take a stab at, lol
He will be dropped unless there's some injuries or he gets traded

interesting on the sleeper roster limit rules. very incentivizing to be under the limit in early summer to ensure you have some roster flexibility in case a guy jumps up out of no where