• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

F it, can't find the thread, Lafonte Thourogood leaving Vanderbilt

TagAndBrag

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I wish him well wherever he ends up, but I also hope that it serves as a cautionary tale for the next person that weighs the words of a smooth-talker vs. the vague yet honest words of Frank Gosh Dadgum Beamer.

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he could have been here, but instead he changed his mind at the last minute. sucks for him.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I honestly feel worse for thourogood that I do for some. I dont think he was a guy that had the "im bigger than the in state schools" mentality, I think he and his family were basically sold a "better situation" that didnt exist. I hope the in state talent is paying attention to guys like LT, Sims, Funderburk, Newsome, etc.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moving closer to home...hmm. Any chance this turns out to be a "Philip Sims" type situation for VT?? I can't imagine he will be granted a hardship waiver (that hasn't even been mentioned), but even if he sat out this year he would have 3 years of eligibility left. He would be a fine addition to our receiving corps in 2013. After this year he would have a shot at playing time for sure..

This of course assuming Vandy would let him transfer to VT. Don't see why they wouldn't considering they are not in the SEC and are not on the future schedule..

Is this the thread???

http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/virginia-tech/11623-lafonte-thourogood-visits-weekend.html

Last edited by a moderator:

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Thourogood got lured by Beatty to Vandy at the last possible second on Signing Day. I'm sure both he and his parents were sold on the idea that playing QB in the SEC was a better situation than playing QB in the ACC. Then Vandy switched him to RB, and he made the decision to leave.

So, now that he's basically a "free agent", here are a couple of points to consider:

1. if he chooses to play for an FBS-level team, he can practice with that team for the 2012 season but he can't play in any games until 2013.

2. What position does he REALLY want to play if he ends up at Tech? If he plans on playing QB, he will definitely be competing in 2013 with LT (if he stays another year), veteran backup Leal, as well as new QB recruits Hodges and Parker. Can he, or will he, play WR? Could he grow into TE size?

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
He will not come to VT, Look more towards ODU, JMU, Hampton, Richmond, etc. Or maybe he will follow Beatty to Illinois :)

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will not come to VT, Look more towards ODU, JMU, Hampton, Richmond, etc. Or maybe he will follow Beatty to Illinois :)

What makes you think that EGW?? Elaborate. I would think that with the mass exodus at WR after this year and the HUGE question marks at that position next year that IF Lafonte was willing to play WR AND come to VT to play that position..that Beamer would entertain the idea and listen to him. That would give him a better chance at making the league than playing QB at an FBS school IMO (unless he was a HUGE standout..).

Then again, what is the story of him getting moved from WR to RB at Vandy?? Anyone have the scoop on that?? Not cut out to be a WR??

TagAndBrag

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't know where we'd line him up on the field if he did reach out, but I'd post his ass up in Cav's office to talk to every recruit that visits campus and warn against the smooth-talking, highest bidder traveling coaches they'll encounter in the recruiting process.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can bet London has been in touch with Thourogood already. Wouldn't be surprised to find out London even discussed coming to UVA as a QB. :wink:

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reports out that Thourogood will be playing for Mickey Mathews at JMU. Good for him.

I am kind of surprised that ODU was not more in the mix. Seems like he could play there, this year, immediately and even get a year or two possibly playing for them in C-USA???