• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

F/A Updates

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ravens to sign Zeitler. 3 years 22.5M.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suppose we lost a few folks off the rooftop with that signing.... I'm not sure why Zeitler would have been a fit here vs. anywhere else. None of the coaches are the same.

Going to be an interesting week - Tobin gave a press conference and rather than giving the normal, standard answers, he pretty much indicated that the club would be aggressive. It won't be a good look for him or the Bengals if they swing and miss.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe the narrative from the FO will be “we tried, don’t blame us”. The Bengals love to make excuses why they can’t meet expectations. Been doing it for decades.

That said, anyone who was pinning their livelihood on the Bengals winning a bidding war for Joe Thuney or guys like that, just aren’t long for this world. No way the Bengals will pay $60 mil for a G, and no way they’ll offer more guarantees that other more cash loaded clubs. Nor is someone with options, like a Trent Williams, gonna consider Cincy over a contending team with $$.

Honestly, as nice as someone like Thuney would be to have, they shouldn’t get in a bidding war IMO. The Bengals are still stuck in a rebuild. They need about 5 instant contributors this FA period. Don’t forget, WJ3 and Lawson are likely out the door as well.

The Bengals FO is well aware they need to address the OL. They’ve faced national embarrassment over Joe Burrow getting injured do to poor performance by that unit. I do believe they will sign a couple decent players to fill holes there. It just won’t be the top of the market names.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe the narrative from the FO will be “we tried, don’t blame us”. The Bengals love to make excuses why they can’t meet expectations. Been doing it for decades.

That said, anyone who was pinning their livelihood on the Bengals winning a bidding war for Joe Thuney or guys like that, just aren’t long for this world. No way the Bengals will pay $60 mil for a G, and no way they’ll offer more guarantees that other more cash loaded clubs. Nor is someone with options, like a Trent Williams, gonna consider Cincy over a contending team with $$.

Honestly, as nice as someone like Thuney would be to have, they shouldn’t get in a bidding war IMO. The Bengals are still stuck in a rebuild. They need about 5 instant contributors this FA period. Don’t forget, WJ3 and Lawson are likely out the door as well.

The Bengals FO is well aware they need to address the OL. They’ve faced national embarrassment over Joe Burrow getting injured do to poor performance by that unit. I do believe they will sign a couple decent players to fill holes there. It just won’t be the top of the market names.
they won't say that, they'll just get hobs to write a piece about how unlucky they were that so and so got injured. every team has injuries...

also, I would think that the coach will draft Sewell if we can't upgrade the line somehow. if they don't let him do that, both him and Burrow might leave town.

I'd like to see them leave first gear and switch into high gear, but we'll see.

Last edited:

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My insiders tell me that the Bengals will start announcing some signings after they get all the clocks adjusted (Spring forward!) at the offices in PBS. It's a pretty big job and the executive team doesn't assign big jobs to just anyone. Sit tight everyone.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This New England spending spree is sorta funny.... Something tells me that Tom's immediate success in Tampa didn't sit very well.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thuney to KC - 5 years $80MM. That's a big pay-day. Wow.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Further evidence the salary cap only applies to certain teams.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The AFC champions value their QB enough to protect him.

I wonder how hard it will be for us to find someone as inept as Bobby Hart and call it an upgrade.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Days like the today are where the Bengals badly need an actual GM.

The league has changed. And *shocker* the Bengals are still lagging behind the times. Teams are circumventing the cap by paying huge guaranteed money up front in exchange for a lower cap number. Then a year or two later, restructure, pay another bonus, lower the cap, repeat.

This is the wizardry that the Chiefs, Rams, Saints and even Patriots to an extent are using to basically go sign whoever they want, while getting around the cap with the big contracts they’ve already paid out.

The Bengals will never be players in FA in this new era. Their big selling point is sign with us, and you’ll see most of if not your entire deal. They don’t pay huge guaranteed money like other teams do. And don’t even bother with the term “restructure”. Pretty sure Mike Brown doesn’t know what that means.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We lost Zeitler, Thuney, Lawson. All B level free agents already is all that is available.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it first two picks in the draft are not offensive lineman I would be surprised.

We are not getting shit in free agency. Better lock Bates up long term is all I have to say. Can't lose the best day in the nfl.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, they decide to move on from Lawson. The guy they replace him with is very similar, but looks like he can sustain a higher usage rate, which Lawson always did struggle with on run down.

Pretty much an even swap at worst, so...I'll count that as a win.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
So, they decide to move on from Lawson. The guy they replace him with is very similar, but looks like he can sustain a higher usage rate, which Lawson always did struggle with on run down.

Pretty much an even swap at worst, so...I'll count that as a win.

My take is you're not going to find JJ Watt or Von Miller in their prime on the free agent market. A 26 year old pass rusher coming off of a 13.5 sack season is worth the gamble

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm happy with the Hendrickson move. I liked Lawson, but worried about his durability and I thought he left some plays on the field.... Consistency seemed to be an issue.

The obvious questions about Hendrickson will be about whether he was a one-hit wonder. I think it was worth a gamble - He played on a good D in NO and was stuck behind some decent players. When he had his shot he did great and I'm sure they would have loved to keep him but they have all sorts of money issues.

When comparing a signing of Hendrickson vs. the tagging of Lawson (which was on the table at one point), this is a big win.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm afraid that Tobin and the boys have hitched their wagon to either Sewell or Slater. I assume Williams will play the other tackle position, Price will be center (until Hopkins is healthy) and we'll be looking at a few bargain guards over the rest of free agency. Not really the splash I was hoping for with the offensive line, but if they can pick up a mid-range starter or two and then get the tackle in the draft, the line will be improved.

It's clear that the organization still sees a big lack of talent on D and they are trying to fix it.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3