• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ESPN names Garrett as 3rd worst coach in NFL

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll do it for him. 29 was wrong in the original article, but top 10? Come on, that's just as bad.

Give me 10 you would really rather have. Belicheck, Tomlinson, harbaughs , McCarthy , lovie, Payton . Who else would you rather have that's coaching right now. Kelly? Lewis maybe?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give me 10 you would really rather have. Belicheck, Tomlinson, harbaughs , McCarthy , lovie, Payton . Who else would you rather have that's coaching right now. Kelly? Lewis maybe?

I am not sure he should still have his job as HC of this team after his past performances and disastrous time management, so you aren't exactly asking the right guy...That doesn't mean I think he is in the bottom 10 either. He is an average to slightly below average HC with room to improve.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I guess I should say I will take those 7 or 8 I mentioned over him. That doesnt mean that I think he is better than the other 24, but for our team I think he is. I believe everything said about him as well. I do think he will be fired if this season goes bad. He will be an OC again and then take over another team and win at least 2 Superbowls.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won't even get into the fact that this was done by ESPN insiders except that I will always question the opinions of a bunch of guys who think their opinion is worth paying for.

I always liked Garrett. Considering this is the Cowboys and who his boss was, the class that he has shown is enough to get him off the bottom of the list.

That said, I can't say if he really knew what he was doing. For me to want him back next year ..your talking winning the Div and 1 playoff game. I might even still be on the fence with that.

Earl Stevens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is anyone really surprised at this? I don't know WHY Jerrah is so in love with this guy. He was terrible as an OC, and even worse so far as a HC.

No, I'm not surprised because it is ESPN. By no means have I been satisfied with Garrett's performance as a head coach and he hasn't been the head coach I had hoped he would become, but to say he was a terrible offensive coordinator is ignorant and borderline trolling.

Team consistently underachieves.
What do you mean underachieve? 8-8 for three straight years is enough evidence to know where the Cowboys are as a team, average.

Consistently is one of the league leaders in penalties. Consistently refuses to run the ball.
Penalties were a problem with Wade, Parcells, and the coaches before them. This team has been penalty-riddled for years. Seems more like a curse if anything.

The Cowboys have not been effective at running the football since 2009. What I mean by effective is the ability to close games when the other team knows you are running it, being able to pick up key first downs by running the football, keep penalties on running plays at a minimum(this is the biggest problem our running game has had), and being able to punch it in the endzone with great efficiency by running the football. All those things are something Dallas has just simply not been. Certainly there have been games where we SHOULD HAVE ran the football more, but this goes back to my point of being effective. Mickey Spagnola explains in this article what I've been saying for years about this team. Spagnola is specifically talking about last year where there was actual improvement in the running game. In the years prior, it was much worse. Not because they didn't run it enough, but because the running game was ineffective when they did run it. Even while the running game was ineffective, people like you would still complain every week about not running it enough. In-game adjustments and suspect in-game decisions have remained Garrett's biggest weakness.

Rookies and draftees RARELY improve to any discernable level outside of top picks. All these are indictments on the HC.
They aren't necessarily an indictment of the head coach. Scouts, GMs, and the rest of the front office play a part as well. Player development has been an issue every year except the Bill Parcells and Jimmy Johnson years. Who were the GMs in all those years Parcells and Jimmy weren't here? We can sit here all day and blame Jerry Jones but it isn't all his fault either. Some of that has to fall on the players too. Guys like Morris Claiborne who were top draft picks aren't putting in the time in the film room and can't stay on the field. He has made Mike Jenkins look like a better pick and to be frankly honest, Terence Newman over him would be an upgrade right now. Brandon Carr last year at times looked like a complete scrub and he's the guy that we replaced Newman with.

While it's not all Sean Lee's fault and he's been unlucky, he can't stay on the field. Spencer hasn't been able to get healthy and when he is healthy, he only shows up when he wants to. Whether it's fair or not, Romo is an accident waiting to happen. Romo has to avoid the big mistakes and he has to make better reads on 3rd downs. The Cowboys were 25th in the NFL in 3rd down% last year at 35%. That is terrible and 3rd down% to me is a quarterback stat. You can't be that bad on 3rd down and expect to make the playoffs. Conversely, the defense were the 4th worst in the NFL in 3rd down% at 43%. So our offense only converts 35% of their 3rd downs while our opponents converted 43% of theirs. We were lucky to go 8-8. Guys like Tyron Smith can't essentially lose you football games with holding penalties like he did against Detroit. Our defensive players can't have inopportune mistakes at opportune times to make a game-changing play. The coaches need to coach better, our scouts need to be better, and our front office needs to draft or sign the right type of guys, but it's ultimately up to our players to execute and make the plays. This is not to say Garrett doesn't deserve any blame because he absolutely does, but our problems are much bigger than Garrett.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Garrett is a bum. Plain and simple. Anyone that thinks he'll win a SB as a HC is a moron.

Garrett wasn't even good as a OC. He routinely made the most boneheaded calls I've ever seen, weekly.

He is intelligent, and has room to grow.....but he's going to need to check his ego at the door and LEARN how to be a better coach.

If its one thing hes proven - he is in over his head, and does NOT get the best out of his personnel. His team is undisciplined, and rarely makes the right play.......that's on HIM as a coach. No one with the flaws he has as a coach will be successful unless he learns from a better coach how to do the job.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not getting this ego thing you are talking about.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So who are the worse 2? I don't have insider.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not getting this ego thing you are talking about.

Garrett was an assistant......that then got paid HC money to "Co-OC" when he wasn't a proven signal caller. He has all but refused to give up the playcalling despite his constant gaffes and bad calls.

He needs to take a backseat, and LEARN. That's going to require he swallow his pride......hell it would for anyone.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was he suppose to turn down those offers? Should he have just said , no I dont deserve that kind of money?

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was he suppose to turn down those offers? Should he have just said , no I dont deserve that kind of money?

:L

He was actively undermining his bosses because Jerry liked him from his playing days. He more or less engineered getting this job......and now we're seeing that he's not very good at it.

Have you really not put 2+2 together yet?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I guess I should say I will take those 7 or 8 I mentioned over him. That doesnt mean that I think he is better than the other 24, but for our team I think he is. I believe everything said about him as well. I do think he will be fired if this season goes bad. He will be an OC again and then take over another team and win at least 2 Superbowls.

At least two SBs? How many coaches in history have won 3 or more SBS?

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He was actively undermining his bosses because Jerry liked him from his playing days. He more or less engineered getting this job......and now we're seeing that he's not very good at it.

Undermining his bosses? Really? Cmon man. I will take my chances with a highly intelligent DETERMINED person any time.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Knoll, Gibbs?? , Belicheck, Walsh??

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I wasnt a Dallas fan, I would have said Landry as well- but I know he has 2

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jerry liked a 3rd team QB that I can still throw a ball further than. Hell Jerry liked Quincy a lot too. I have never seen an NFL player with less talent that lasted as long or longer than him , not counting Kickers or Punters.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I'm not surprised because it is ESPN. By no means have I been satisfied with Garrett's performance as a head coach and he hasn't been the head coach I had hoped he would become, but to say he was a terrible offensive coordinator is ignorant and borderline trolling.

What do you mean underachieve? 8-8 for three straight years is enough evidence to know where the Cowboys are as a team, average.

Penalties were a problem with Wade, Parcells, and the coaches before them. This team has been penalty-riddled for years. Seems more like a curse if anything.

The Cowboys have not been effective at running the football since 2009. What I mean by effective is the ability to close games when the other team knows you are running it, being able to pick up key first downs by running the football, keep penalties on running plays at a minimum(this is the biggest problem our running game has had), and being able to punch it in the endzone with great efficiency by running the football. All those things are something Dallas has just simply not been. Certainly there have been games where we SHOULD HAVE ran the football more, but this goes back to my point of being effective. Mickey Spagnola explains in this article what I've been saying for years about this team. Spagnola is specifically talking about last year where there was actual improvement in the running game. In the years prior, it was much worse. Not because they didn't run it enough, but because the running game was ineffective when they did run it. Even while the running game was ineffective, people like you would still complain every week about not running it enough. In-game adjustments and suspect in-game decisions have remained Garrett's biggest weakness.

They aren't necessarily an indictment of the head coach. Scouts, GMs, and the rest of the front office play a part as well. Player development has been an issue every year except the Bill Parcells and Jimmy Johnson years. Who were the GMs in all those years Parcells and Jimmy weren't here? We can sit here all day and blame Jerry Jones but it isn't all his fault either. Some of that has to fall on the players too. Guys like Morris Claiborne who were top draft picks aren't putting in the time in the film room and can't stay on the field. He has made Mike Jenkins look like a better pick and to be frankly honest, Terence Newman over him would be an upgrade right now. Brandon Carr last year at times looked like a complete scrub and he's the guy that we replaced Newman with.

While it's not all Sean Lee's fault and he's been unlucky, he can't stay on the field. Spencer hasn't been able to get healthy and when he is healthy, he only shows up when he wants to. Whether it's fair or not, Romo is an accident waiting to happen. Romo has to avoid the big mistakes and he has to make better reads on 3rd downs. The Cowboys were 25th in the NFL in 3rd down% last year at 35%. That is terrible and 3rd down% to me is a quarterback stat. You can't be that bad on 3rd down and expect to make the playoffs. Conversely, the defense were the 4th worst in the NFL in 3rd down% at 43%. So our offense only converts 35% of their 3rd downs while our opponents converted 43% of theirs. We were lucky to go 8-8. Guys like Tyron Smith can't essentially lose you football games with holding penalties like he did against Detroit. Our defensive players can't have inopportune mistakes at opportune times to make a game-changing play. The coaches need to coach better, our scouts need to be better, and our front office needs to draft or sign the right type of guys, but it's ultimately up to our players to execute and make the plays. This is not to say Garrett doesn't deserve any blame because he absolutely does, but our problems are much bigger than Garrett.

:agree:

group effort been my view the last 3/4 years ...
and Garrett seems down on the pecking order to me. :noidea: