• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ESPN fires Hugh Douglas for altercation / racial slur

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
From the NFL general board:

Hugh Douglas was inebriated and threatened to beat up his colleague Michael Smith three times Friday night, a source who witnessed the altercation at the House of Blues in Orlando tells The Big Lead. According to the source, Douglas, who appears on Numbers Never Lie on ESPN with Michael Smith and Jemele Hill, was trying to get on stage where the DJ was playing, and threatened to beat up Smith if he couldn’t help out. After the third threat, Smith tried to walk away, at which point Douglas grabbed Smith’s wrist and hurled two racial epithets at him. Smith, the witness says, turned around to protect himself, at which point onlookers rushed in to break it up.

Three independent sources have verified this version of events.

Douglas was then pulled aside by someone from ESPN who was in attendance, and the two briefly spoke. Douglas then left the party.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hugh Douglas was inebriated and threatened to beat up his colleague Michael Smith three times Friday night, a source who witnessed the altercation at the House of Blues in Orlando tells The Big Lead. According to the source, Douglas, who appears on Numbers Never Lie on ESPN with Michael Smith and Jemele Hill, was trying to get on stage where the DJ was playing, and threatened to beat up Smith if he couldn’t help out. After the third threat, Smith tried to walk away, at which point Douglas grabbed Smith’s wrist and hurled two racial epithets at him. Smith, the witness says, turned around to protect himself, at which point onlookers rushed in to break it up.

Douglas was then pulled aside by someone from ESPN who was in attendance, and the two briefly spoke. Douglas then left the party.

Nonsense. Everybody knows racial slurs only count when white people use them.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Aaaaaaaand the very first reply Toby / NN is up here stirring the shit. That didn't take long.

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Racist? That's two dudes fighting...

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aaaaaaaand the very first reply Toby / NN is up here stirring the shit. That didn't take long.

White people are the only ones who get in trouble for it. Nobody gives a shit if Hugh Douglass called Michael Smith a ****er, now if Steve Young did it...........

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
White people are the only ones who get in trouble for it. Nobody gives a shit if Hugh Douglass called Michael Smith a ****er, now if Steve Young did it...........

Seems like you are wrong again, ESPN seems to care. If Steve Young did it then it would be even more offensive IMO. That being said, Steve Young wouldn't do that because he isn't a racist DBag.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dammit, I just gave the troll the attention he was so desperately wanting. Sorry everyone!!!!

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm not. I'm just pointing out how absurd Ninersickness assertion that Douglass was fired for making a racial slur is. Sickness is the fool who brought up the nonsense that Douglass made a racial slur to another member of his own race.

The link attached to the article clearly points out the racial slurs... I'm not sure how Sickness is the fool in all of this? Douglas' slurs were not just run of the mill 'N' words directed at his own race, what he said was a more personal racial slur that no African American wants to hear from another African American. And to make matters worse, he did this at an event hosted by the National Association of Black Journalists...

I think you are just upset that you spent countless post's in the Cooper and Redskin threads stating that only Whites get into trouble for making racial slurs, when clearly you were wrong...

Last edited by a moderator:

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dammit, I just gave the troll the attention he was so desperately wanting. Sorry everyone!!!!

Says the cretin who bragged about throwing smaller kids into the lockers during his days as a high school tough guy bully. What a stooge.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the fuck Toby, why turn this into some race baiting never ending thread?

I'm not. I'm just pointing out how absurd Ninersickness assertion that Douglass was fired for making a racial slur is. Sickness is the fool who brought up the nonsense that Douglass made a racial slur to another member of his own race.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Says the cretin who bragged about throwing smaller kids into the lockers during his days as a high school tough guy bully. What a stooge.

You seem to have serious bully issues. Don't worry, buddy. It gets better.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You seem to have serious bully issues. Don't worry, buddy. It gets better.

Hahaha. Love it!

I don't remember saying this, I believe I told him that he was the type of guy who got thrown into lockers when he was in high school. This was a comment that I said years ago to NN (or Cazic or some other troll) when they were trying to talk tough. If I remember correctly.

Anyway, hows everything in the world of Crims?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
What the fuck Toby, why turn this into some race baiting never ending thread?

Because he's a troll. He does that all the time. I've yet to figure out why he hasn't been banned yet.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Douglas should've never been hired for an on-air role in the first place. Easily one of the worst on-air talents they've given a chance to that I can remember in my ESPN watching lifetime. The very best I could stretch it to say about him is that it was too early to be putting him in a on-air, co-hosting role. He needed so much work and refining before ever getting a chance on TV.

Numbers Never Lie has so much potential if they went to a legit DEEP analytics type of show and actually hired the right kind of people who could deliver that kind of product. Like most sports shows that are created these days, it targets the common, every day, emotional fan way too much than it should.

It's gotten to be so bad that it's one of the few ESPN programs I won't give some of my time to anymore.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I'm sick of ex-NFL players as analysts anyway. Their names draw eyeballs, but they are usually terrible at being objective and interesting about the game.

In fact, I'd like to see someone steal the torch from ESPN altogether, but nobody is stepping up & doing it.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00