• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eric Winston wants to see playoff seeding changed...

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think for the most part the best teams do get into the playoffs and after that it's up to them to beat whomever is across the field. There is sometimes an anomoly like 2011 where a sub .500 Seahawks team got a home game vs the defending champs but hey, maybe the Saints should have worked on their tackling more and Beastquake wouldn't have happened.
I also think that sometimes merely looking at a div winners 9-7 record might be a mistake. There will always be some divisions tougher than others. A team shouldn't be penalized a home game because of tougher competition. (And no, that 2011 example does not apply, of course. Lol.
All in all, the NFL playoff system is really good as it is, imo.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think for the most part the best teams do get into the playoffs and after that it's up to them to beat whomever is across the field. There is sometimes an anomoly like 2011 where a sub .500 Seahawks team got a home game vs the defending champs but hey, maybe the Saints should have worked on their tackling more and Beastquake wouldn't have happened.
I also think that sometimes merely looking at a div winners 9-7 record might be a mistake. There will always be some divisions tougher than others. A team shouldn't be penalized a home game because of tougher competition. (And no, that 2011 example does not apply, of course. Lol.
All in all, the NFL playoff system is really good as it is, imo.
Yeah there's generally not a huge disparity but most years see 1 or 2 teams miss the playoffs in one conference when they'd have made it from the others ( last year it was the Steelers )

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont expect people to agree . People grow accustomed to how things are ( even if they don't make sense )

If you'd never heard of pro sports and someone said should A. The best teams make the postseason or B. Should we randomly divide teams into conferences and award postseason bids even if a team from one conference has a worse record than a team from the other . You ( and everyone ) would say A.

There's no benefit to conferences . Especially after you've already separated teams once .

If you disagree go ahead and offer w few advantages of conferences that are more important than having the better teams make the playoffs

Yeah there's generally not a huge disparity but most years see 1 or 2 teams miss the playoffs in one conference when they'd have made it from the others ( last year it was the Steelers )

The advantage is scheduling.
Now take you ONE NFL "League Schedule" idea and try to build a fair schedule. You cant do it as ONE team could easily play a full season against the easiest teams and have an over inflated W/L record in the same year a better team could play a full load of tough teams and have a worse record.

Your one league idea is Butt Stupid. Don't try to fix what isn't broken.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the idea of reseeding
We simply cant extend playoff teams. We already had a year where a 7-9 team made the playoffs. Adding more teams would mean that would/could happen more often.

I like the idea of seeding the teams by record with one addition.
1st tie breaker on same record is division winners.
So if 2 teams are 11-5 & one is a division winner, that team is seeded higher.
If a WC team is 10-6 & the Division winner is 9-7 then the WC team is seeded higher.

for the guy thinking get rid of Division. That is just not a realistic thought. Not because of what any fan is used to or accustomed too. But because it has to pass with whatever it is now (24 votes I think) which would never happen. Owners will never give up all their rivalries.

Reseeding could pass at some point & time.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it's dumb at all to want the best teams in every sport in the playoffs . I'm not sure why anyone would disagree actually . This isn't college sports where different teams play vastly different schedules .
That's a lot different than conferences and divisions only exist for nostalgia.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well obviously they were made for a different reason on each sport but those reasons aren't relevant anyomore

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't mind an extra playoff team in each conference but I'd leave the division winners as the top seeds in each conference.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a case of over thinking something. DIV winners get a home game, don’t change it. Else get rid of DIV and seed the top 6 in each conf.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I’m going to disagree with the last comment on DIV...DIV rivals is the foundation of the NFL, much like CFB rivals...the games have a little more on the line.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't think I'd care either way to be honest.

Naturally teams like the Chiefs would whine and complain that 'it's not fair' when they don't get the seeding over someone else when it doesn't benefit them, even though the rules are clearly stated... but whatever.

I always thought it was a little stupid that the 2010 Seahawks got a home game (Seattle has one of the best HFAs) against the Saints, but is what it is. I get the reasoning behind a change - just go by overall record, makes it MUCH more clear for everyone to understand. I dunno, I think MLB still goes by division winner to WC though (division winner plays at home).

I dunno - whatever. I really don't care. Current system = fine, new system = fine. Someone will always whine about it when it DOESN'T favor their team. Reid/Chiefs fans: "OMG Mahomes SHOULD'VE GOTTEN THE BALL!" If the Chiefs won the coin toss and scored: "We are pleased with the current NFL playoff system." Whatever.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m going to disagree with the last comment on DIV...DIV rivals is the foundation of the NFL, much like CFB rivals...the games have a little more on the line.
Got to agree with this wholeheartedly. Playing your division opponents make for a much more important game, matter more then just a plus in the win column.

CB3UK

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leave it alone. Not all 11-5 records are created equal. Some teams may have an easier schedule due to previous years finish, or play in a meh division. Winning your division should mean more.

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since they went to 8 divisions in 2002, there's been at least one team with the better record seeded lower than a division winner in 14 of 17 seasons. Perhaps, that could be a factor if the league has a serious discussion about changing the format.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way it's set now is just fine. Keep the divisions the way they are so the rivalries stay but adding another playoff game waters down the league.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True but the Eagles had the same 9-7 record so kind of a wash. I think most of the Steeler fans on here acknowledged that the team choked away the division when they lost to the Raiders. Not exactly like the 08(?) Pats who were 11-5.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True but the Eagles had the same 9-7 record so kind of a wash. I think most of the Steeler fans on here acknowledged that the team choked away the division when they lost to the Raiders. Not exactly like the 08(?) Pats who were 11-5.
There's rarely going to be a huge difference in record as there's only 16 games but a one game difference over 16 games is akin to 5 games in the NBA or NHL or 10 games in MLB.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you this guys' idea then there is no point in having divisions. Make two super conferences, no divisions. I hate that idea so this Winston guy can fuck off.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you this guys' idea then there is no point in having divisions. Make two super conferences, no divisions. I hate that idea so this Winston guy can fuck off.
Divisions are still good to limit travel imo

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leave it like it is. Division winners should be rewarded.