• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eric Reid - Video analysis for NinerSickness critique

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn't a troll attempt. This isn't to get buddy buddy with our divisional rival.
It's strictly to have conversation with whomever wants to view and give their opinion.
So far, ninersickness knows his ball and that is all I look for in these forums.

It's not easy to find conversation on X's and O's, scheme, personnel fit for 3-4 vs 4-3,
strengths and weaknesses, the draft,etc. I'm not here to talk Hats, PED's, Paisely Sport
coats, player arrests. That is a waste of time.

Before I go through the vid of LSU vs South Carolina and vs Clemson, I will preface this
by saying I really like what I saw from Reid as a Strong Safety but I have reservations
about him playing Free Safety.

I don't claim to be some guru scout. It doesn't mean he
can't grow into that role. My best college to pro player position prognostication over the
past decade has been in the secondary. I won't do OL, QB is hit and miss. I've nailed
Secondary very well because they play in space and it's not rocket science.

Maybe I'll be right, maybe I'll be wrong. Either way, if interested, you can look and comment.

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:18 – Reid is clearly playing SS, where he appears to best suited while #6 Loston is playing cover 1 Free safety.

:45 – Nice attack on the QB. Excellent at run support where he plays like a heat seeking missile.

1:00 – This is questionable recognition by Reid. Simon is picking up the crossing route underneath and
Reid comes up to support that play while he should be playing ET centerfield to support the CB on the
post route. By the time he figures it out, the SC receiver gets past JMills but the TD pass goes off
his finger tips for an Incompletion. He needs to recognize this route pattern.

1:48, he’s clearly playing in the box SS. 1:55 = in the box SS. Comes up at 2:06 to play SS.

2:24 – Simon collision. QB forecasted the throw. He had coverage down the seam so you can’t
fault Reid on that play.

2:53 – Needs to tackle Lattimore in the hole because Reid is a good tackler. Fortunately for Reid,
he won't have to worry about Lats in the pros.

3:18 Reid was playing free safety but still should have quicker instincts and breaking ability on the ball.
Reid is 7 yds off the play and hadn’t started his break and the ball was delivered. Playing against a
slow release QB, Reid needs to have better instincts and swat that ball away, if not intercept it.

3:45 – Reid gets 1 of only 2 – 2012 int’s and the ball was thrown right to him. With the front 7
in front of Reid, I would've expected more than 2 interceptions in both his soph and Jr years. hmmmm.

4:52 – Need camera behind SC QB to evaluate.

5:10 – Reid appears to be playing a bit deep with no SC WR’s around except the one
he tackles at the goal line. That's too conservative.

5:25 and 5:35, he arcs off his coverage instead of jumping the route. He’s at the goal line so
it’s not like a WR is getting behind him. What do you think? Reid’s ball skills don't appear to
be NFL free safety ready but his aggressive tackling and disecting the run is excellent for Strong.

Reid looks like he would be a quality, run stuffing, cover the TE, SS but I'm not sure about FS.

I wanted to see more Splash FS plays and searched for them but didn't see enough which
was unlike my study of Eric Berry and Earl Thomas prior to the 2010 draft. We will see soon enough...

More vids to follow with quick analysis, if interested. Clemson bowl game and some spot games.
Hopefully, this isn't a harsh assessment or appears to be trolling. I like Reid as a SS.

Last edited by a moderator:

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a lot of us see him as the SS safety of the near future to replace whitner. I think a few of us would of liked to see it this year, with the switch of Culliver to FS.

The experience at FS will be good though because you have to know both positions in the Niners scheme. I would say your breakdown on this game tape is pretty good.

2:53 - he definitely should of tried to hit lat in the hole instead of trying to anticipate his move. he cant afford to be indecisive in the pros

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Eric Reid but I don't think he will be the Pro Bowler that Goldson was for us. I do think that he can be elite at SS and slightly above average at FS. He's aggressive, he's a good tackler, he's explosive....coverage abilities need a bit of work and play recognition/decision making skills are a step too slow though.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Osprey, I had the exact same response from Reid. I wanted him as a SS rather than a FS. I'm hoping he starts to diagnose plays a little faster, which is his biggest obstacle.

I don't know that he'll be a "probowler" per se like Goldson was, but the pro bowl has lost all its meaning to me anyway. I think Reid can be one of the better SS's in the NFC. Maybe not the best though.

Goldson isn't going to have the benefit of the Niners' pass rush in Tampa though. He might not look so great.

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a lot of us see him as the SS safety of the near future to replace whitner. I think a few of us would of liked to see it this year, with the switch of Culliver to FS.

The experience at FS will be good though because you have to know both positions in the Niners scheme. I would say your breakdown on this game tape is pretty good.

2:53 - he definitely should of tried to hit lat in the hole instead of trying to anticipate his move. he cant afford to be indecisive in the pros

Thanks for the comments. As long as Reid doesn't get into a lot of cover 1's, he'll be o.k. until he learns Fangio's scheme. It wouldn't surprise me to play more cover 2 because you have dynamite MIke's so you won't need the in the box safety unless it's a blitz.

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Eric Reid but I don't think he will be the Pro Bowler that Goldson was for us. I do think that he can be elite at SS and slightly above average at FS. He's aggressive, he's a good tackler, he's explosive....coverage abilities need a bit of work and play recognition/decision making skills are a step too slow though.

I agree. Coaching can help but you have those innate instincts or you don't. Reid is a natural Strong Safety and one of the SF guys I'll be keeping a close eye on.

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Osprey, I had the exact same response from Reid. I wanted him as a SS rather than a FS. I'm hoping he starts to diagnose plays a little faster, which is his biggest obstacle.

I don't know that he'll be a "probowler" per se like Goldson was, but the pro bowl has lost all its meaning to me anyway. I think Reid can be one of the better SS's in the NFC. Maybe not the best though.

Goldson isn't going to have the benefit of the Niners' pass rush in Tampa though. He might not look so great.

You're right on all accounts. If Freeman has just an above avg year, I expect the Bucs to make the playoffs as a sleeper. You have to go for at least 1 sleeper in both conferences. Their secondary stunk
so Revis and Goldson are dramatic improvements. They have nice offensive weapons and with a 7-9 record last year and how many games they lost by 6 or less? I think it was around 6 or 7. Rely on Doug Martin and go play action. Simple NFL game plan.

Do you have any sleepers?

I'm jumping on the Dolphin AFC sleeper, too. I liked Tannehill in college, thought he was overdrafted,
but now has some receiving weapons. Tannehill should be a r/o type QB. He has big time wheels.

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What piqued my Eric Reid interest, besides wanted to "know thy enemy" is the fact that he was supporting our 5th rd CB, TSimon, that I think is raw but decent. Tharold Simon better heal quick if he wants to have a shot for this squad.

I removed Reid comments to avoid redundancy but this is the Bowl game vs Clemson. If you want to see my Simon evaluation, go for, if not... all good... but I found this dual evaluation. Off - season time
to check out last years LSU D who sent half to the NFL>

Tharold vs Clemson: Tough match up with one of my favorite WR’s, DeAndre Hopkins.

:35 –Makes a nice break on the ball and swats it away. Utilizes height and longarms.

Picks up Hopkins at 1:05. Very tough assignment for Simon.

1:20 – Did anice job using size to shove Hopkins out of the play. #6 Craig Loston, LSU safety, looked to playmore Free and would support the CB’s more often than Reid, who was playing in the box and was under the receiver. Colston was over the top in Cover 1.

1:55 – Hopkins abuses Simon.

2:50 – TD toHopkins. Not a bad job of coverage but beat him inside and Loston couldn’t get over. Reid is playing SS.

3:18 – Looks like Cover 2 but with Simon coming on a blitz....

3:35 – Tough to see the play but appears Simon is hangin’ with Hopkins.

4:00 – Simon gets burned on a quick slant but the ballwas right there so his lunge only grabbed air.

4:18- Needs to make that pick. LSU’s Losten is playing center field FS.
5:00– Nice play on the ball vs DHopkins.

6:00 – Looks like Browner as he mugs Hopkins.I say, let ‘em play as both were fighting for position and the ball. Clemson wanted the flag and in today’s NFL, the yellow would’ve hit the carpet.

6:20– Mix up in coverage.

7:00 – Simon got beat on an out to Hopkins. The reason I really liked Hopkins, pre-draft, is he knows how to run routes very well at the same speed.. big mitt snatcher.

Overall, not a bad showing considering the team and assignment for a 5th rounder. At this stage, Simon’s a very raw back up that needs coaching for zone but has some other tape that has decent press RSherman flair.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTMQLZ4G9-w"]Tharold Simon vs Clemson (Bowl Game - 2012) - YouTube[/ame]

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We pretty much all like him at SS. This is why I was hoping we would pick up a FS in the draft as well so we could get the ball rolling on replacing Whitner and Goldson.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Do you have any sleepers?

I'm jumping on the Dolphin AFC sleeper, too. I liked Tannehill in college, thought he was overdrafted,
but now has some receiving weapons. Tannehill should be a r/o type QB. He has big time wheels.

Well, I think the Giants will be right back there in the mix, but I don't think you can call them a sleeper.

I have zero faith in Freeman, so I don't think the Buccs make it. After SF, Seattle & NYG, I have the Packers & Falcons and then any combination of the Vikings, Rams, Redskins, Saints & Cowboys. I guess the Rams are my "sleeper" because they look pretty tough (although I don't think Bradford is any good). But then again, I think it would be tough for 3 NFC West teams to make the playoffs.

In the AFC, I could see the Titans making some noise. I always liked Derrick Morgan, and I think he's ready for a break-out year. They have some great O-linemen now, and they have some good weapons for Locker.

I also think the Jets are much better than most people think. I'm hearing people predict they'll get the #1 overall pick! I don't know that they're a playoff team, but they have a bunch of talent on defense. And if they don't cut Holmes, their WRs should be 10 times better than last year (Hill with more experience). I think they need to go back to a 4-3 with Coples as their best pass rusher, but Ryan likes the 3-4. I think the Jets should fire him, but the man knows defense.

My prediction is that the Ravens & 49ers have a rematch in the Super Bowl. And if they're both healthy, I think both teams will be better than 2012. I think the Niners had a much more talented team than the Ravens did (and I think they got screwed, but you know about that right? - SB XL). But people are saying the Ravens are done, and that's ridiculous IMO. They're getting Webb back (who might be an all-pro' CB), they signed Dumervil, and they did very well in the draft. I think 2013 Ravens > 2012 Ravens. You never know who might get injured though...

Miami? I always liked Tannehill's potential, and it's REALLY hard to find a good QB (look how much $$$ the unproven Stafford got). I never saw him as an elite prospect, but I liked him a little more than I liked Locker. I don't think people give enough credit to Mike Wallace; he's the real deal IMO. That's why he got a boat load of money. Fans thought he got over-paid, but I didn't. However, the Dolphins screwed the pooch in the OL department. I always hated J. Martin as a LT. He can run-block, but he's not a good pass protector. I'll take a great OL over a great WR corps any day. And if they slide protection to Wake's side on defense, I don't see many other play makers on defense. So I don't think Miami does much, and if they settle for that OL then Tannehill's career is screwed IMO. They'll say, "Look at his WRs! He still can't do much with 'em." But if you don't have good blind-side protection, you're screwed from the get go (see Jay Cutler). His OL isn't Bears bad, but I see Martin & Incognito getting abused on passing plays. And Tannehill is WAY too raw to pick apart defenses with very little time like HOF QBs have in the past.

I think the Chiefs are a perfect team to consistently go 8-8 or 1 & done in the playoffs. I'd be pissed if I were a Chiefs fan, but I think Andy Reid + Alex Smith = consistent mediocrity (and I'm happy about that because if the Chiefs go 8-8 the NIners get their 2nd round pick). :) Reid was a good hire IMO, but I think that combination is perfect to beat bad teams and lose to good ones.

The Steelers should be back too IMO. Roethlisberger's a douche, but he's a great QB. Their problem has been injuries.

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I think the Giants will be right back there in the mix, but I don't think you can call them a sleeper.

I have zero faith in Freeman, so I don't think the Buccs make it. After SF, Seattle & NYG, I have the Packers & Falcons and then any combination of the Vikings, Rams, Redskins, Saints & Cowboys. I guess the Rams are my "sleeper" because they look pretty tough (although I don't think Bradford is any good). But then again, I think it would be tough for 3 NFC West teams to make the playoffs.

In the AFC, I could see the Titans making some noise. I always liked Derrick Morgan, and I think he's ready for a break-out year. They have some great O-linemen now, and they have some good weapons for Locker.

I also think the Jets are much better than most people think. I'm hearing people predict they'll get the #1 overall pick! I don't know that they're a playoff team, but they have a bunch of talent on defense. And if they don't cut Holmes, their WRs should be 10 times better than last year (Hill with more experience). I think they need to go back to a 4-3 with Coples as their best pass rusher, but Ryan likes the 3-4. I think the Jets should fire him, but the man knows defense.

My prediction is that the Ravens & 49ers have a rematch in the Super Bowl. And if they're both healthy, I think both teams will be better than 2012. I think the Niners had a much more talented team than the Ravens did (and I think they got screwed, but you know about that right? - SB XL). But people are saying the Ravens are done, and that's ridiculous IMO. They're getting Webb back (who might be an all-pro' CB), they signed Dumervil, and they did very well in the draft. I think 2013 Ravens > 2012 Ravens. You never know who might get injured though...

Miami? I always liked Tannehill's potential, and it's REALLY hard to find a good QB (look how much $$$ the unproven Stafford got). I never saw him as an elite prospect, but I liked him a little more than I liked Locker. I don't think people give enough credit to Mike Wallace; he's the real deal IMO. That's why he got a boat load of money. Fans thought he got over-paid, but I didn't. However, the Dolphins screwed the pooch in the OL department. I always hated J. Martin as a LT. He can run-block, but he's not a good pass protector. I'll take a great OL over a great WR corps any day. And if they slide protection to Wake's side on defense, I don't see many other play makers on defense. So I don't think Miami does much, and if they settle for that OL then Tannehill's career is screwed IMO. They'll say, "Look at his WRs! He still can't do much with 'em." But if you don't have good blind-side protection, you're screwed from the get go (see Jay Cutler). His OL isn't Bears bad, but I see Martin & Incognito getting abused on passing plays. And Tannehill is WAY too raw to pick apart defenses with very little time like HOF QBs have in the past.

I think the Chiefs are a perfect team to consistently go 8-8 or 1 & done in the playoffs. I'd be pissed if I were a Chiefs fan, but I think Andy Reid + Alex Smith = consistent mediocrity (and I'm happy about that because if the Chiefs go 8-8 the NIners get their 2nd round pick). :) Reid was a good hire IMO, but I think that combination is perfect to beat bad teams and lose to good ones.

The Steelers should be back too IMO. Roethlisberger's a douche, but he's a great QB. Their problem has been injuries.

We agreed 99% in the Lemonier thread on college and draft picks.

In this response, I disagree with 95%. :wtf2:

The Bucs and Fish are 24 and 23rd, if I'm not mistaken in rankings so those are sleeping dogs. I don't like the Giants, I like the return of Kerrigan and Rak for the Skins, I think MRyan comes back to reality and they won't win all of those nail biters against below avg squads and don't play the afc west or nfc east. I like the Rams D alot but believe they're 1 yr away but could sneak in at #6.

I dont think either the Stealers or Ravens 2 get in. Shocker there. I like Cincy. The Jets STINK !

I graduated from UW in Seattle and Locker is a great guy and very good college QB but he's not ready for the bright lights or reading NFL defenses. No 2 titans. :doh: I like the Chiefs as another sleeper ranked in the low 20's. Ball control, very good defensive weapons and manage the game QB. The AFC is weak!

I like Denver, Houston, Cincy, Miami, New England and KC. Playoffs change year to year unexpectedly. I think some big boys have a rougher than expected 2013. Ravens, Pitt and NE. :wtf2:

Still 2 early to prognosticate but, hey, we have something to debate and collaberation on college talent 4 the 2014 draft.

Going some chalk for the SB. Denver vs Hawks in the snow. Had Manning won a playoff game in cold weather? Hawks in an avalanche, 34-20. :10:

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hawks, Packers, Skins, Bucs, 49ers and Atlanta in the NFC. likely to have 2 changed from 2012 but I have 1 for now. In that playoff ranking.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
At least we agree on the Chiefs. They were probably the most talented team to get the #1 overall pick I've ever seen. Strong in the trenches with good pass rushers.

I have my doubts about Locker too. He may not be ready. However, with that OL, he might bot have to be. They might be able to have one of the best running games in the NFL (especially with Locker's running ability). They might be able to win some low-scoring games where they wear the defense out.

The Bengals are like the 49ers were before Kaepernick. They're one of the most talented teams in the league if you ignore the QB position. I liken them to the Texans, which is why I expect 'em to make the playoffs and lose like they have been.

I'm curious why you don't like the Giants. One of the biggest reasons I like them is because they got the guy who I think was the 2nd best defensive player in the entire draft (John Hankins). They're kind of like the Lakers in that they loaf it in the regular season, but it's been working for 'em. I don't think they're as good as they were in their SB year, but I think they're still a threat to win it all. Is it because you like the Redskins more? That's a legitimate reason. They could easily both be in the postseason IMO (especially with Orakpo coming back).

Another reason why I think the Rams, Giants & Ravens will be tough is that they have great coaches IMO. I have strong doubts about the Dolphins' & Buccs' coaching staffs. Greg Schiano wasn't exactly the hottest name out there IMO. Joe Philbin might be a good one, but I don't think he has the talent yet.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least we agree on the Chiefs. They were probably the most talented team to get the #1 overall pick I've ever seen. Strong in the trenches with good pass rushers.

I have my doubts about Locker too. He may not be ready. However, with that OL, he might bot have to be. They might be able to have one of the best running games in the NFL (especially with Locker's running ability). They might be able to win some low-scoring games where they wear the defense out.

The Bengals are like the 49ers were before Kaepernick. They're one of the most talented teams in the league if you ignore the QB position. I liken them to the Texans, which is why I expect 'em to make the playoffs and lose like they have been.

I'm curious why you don't like the Giants. One of the biggest reasons I like them is because they got the guy who I think was the 2nd best defensive player in the entire draft (John Hankins). They're kind of like the Lakers in that they loaf it in the regular season, but it's been working for 'em. I don't think they're as good as they were in their SB year, but I think they're still a threat to win it all. Is it because you like the Redskins more? That's a legitimate reason. They could easily both be in the postseason IMO (especially with Orakpo coming back).

Another reason why I think the Rams, Giants & Ravens will be tough is that they have great coaches IMO. I have strong doubts about the Dolphins' & Buccs' coaching staffs. Greg Schiano wasn't exactly the hottest name out there IMO. Joe Philbin might be a good one, but I don't think he has the talent yet.

Loaf if like the Lakers in the regular season? Not sure how you mean by that, and I have been following the Lakeshow since the 80's when I was old enough to understand basketball.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Loaf if like the Lakers in the regular season? Not sure how you mean by that, and I have been following the Lakeshow since the 80's when I was old enough to understand basketball.

I don't follow basketball extremely closely either, but when I did I always got the impression that those championship Laker teams were saving their energy for the postseason. I get the same impression from the NY Giants. And that isn't a slight; the Giants have been one of the most successful teams of recent memory.

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NS,

How did Reid look? A heat seeking SS missile? Did he show any FS ballhawk skills?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
NS,

How did Reid look? A heat seeking SS missile? Did he show any FS ballhawk skills?

Unfortunately, I was on the road & had to pull off for lunch to see a little bit of the game; but Reid was already out by that time. :( All the reviews I've read are that he was really good in run support (no surprise there) and Denver didn't really challenge the safeties very much in the passing game.

I'll be home for the next one, so I'll be keeping a close eye on him & the other rooks.

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately, I was on the road & had to pull off for lunch to see a little bit of the game; but Reid was already out by that time. :( All the reviews I've read are that he was really good in run support (no surprise there) and Denver didn't really challenge the safeties very much in the passing game.

I'll be home for the next one, so I'll be keeping a close eye on him & the other rooks.

We all know that Reid can bust 'em up so it will be interesting if with the vanilla O's if teams will
run play action or give Reid a pump and go move. Does he bite or not? That is what I'd like to know.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I finally saw the Niners - Broncos preseason game earlier in its entirety, and it was pretty much what I heard it was.

The one thing that stood out to me about Corey Lemonier (besides his quickness) is how well he usues his hands. He usues those long arms to keep the defenders off him on running plays. There was this one play where he broke through a double team to hit the RB in the backfield where even my buddy (a Cowboys fan who hates the Niners) had to say "wow." This guy has it all IMO. Great quickness, great core strength, great hand useage / long arms... he beat a guy around the edge & forced the QB to roll out; the OL held him from behind & Lemonier still fought him off to chase the QB to the sideline and closed on him right as he got rid of the ball. Lemonier looks to me like he's everything I was seeing / hoping for when I watched him at Auburn. I'm as excited about him as anyone on the defense not named Aldon or Justin. I seriously think he's going to be a probowl caliber OLB & will be better than Ahmad Brooks soon. :)

Vance McDonald (outside of that one drop) looked quick, strong & natural catching the ball. I still can't believe Dallas drafted Gavin Escobar ahead of him. Obviously, he doesn't have the pure speed of Delanie Walker, but he has way better length & 34 pounds on him. If the Niners get Crabby back at any point this season, I don't know how defenses are going to be able to stop Vance, Vernon, Crabby & Boldin in the 5-10 yard range, stop the run, make sure Kaepernick doesn't run all over them and make sure nobody slips by 'em for a deep play all at the same time. Especially if Kaep is getting quicker at reading the defense & at pre-snap reads.

Reid could lay the wood & wrap up well, and he was consistently around the ball. Like I heard people say, the Broncos didn't really test him in the passing game. He played a lot of single high like I saw at LSU, which is weird to me because I think Reid was made to play SS. But I didn't see him out of position even once. He looks every bit like the player I wanted before the draft & I still think he'll be the best safety in the entire class (I was pretty lonely in that camp, but I'm optimistic).

AJ Jenkins looked pathetic. Tolzien looked pathetic (like I've always said; he's lucky to be in the league). Lockette made a nice ST play.