• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Encouraging defensive performance?

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I certainly think it was. RG3 had been playing much better the past couple of weeks after recovering from last year's injury. Holding him, Morris, Garcon, Reed, et al to 266 yards on 70 plays and, more importantly, only fourteen points while taking the ball away five times and scoring a TD is a very strong defensive performance. Definitely seems to me like something to build on. Probably not mere coincidence that Miller showed up.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say the bigger part than Miller showing up would be that Woodyard was back in the lineup. I honestly don't think people realize how important he is to this defense not only his skills as a player, but his leadership and instincts are off the charts for this defense. From what I understand Del Rio will be telling him things clear up until the snap trying to explain where he thinks the ball is going to go and Woodyard is great at seeing the field just like Del Rio does.

This defense finally looked like what it was last year in getting pressure and forcing turnovers. They got off the field on 3rd down and looked like a group that people do not want to mess with the rest of the year. If we can get Champ back before the playoffs then we should be set on the defensive side of the ball to continue to dominate.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If everyone stays in playing shape, I can see this defense being better in the remaining 8 games than the Chiefs defense in their remaining 8 games. I think the Chiefs have a good defense, but they have had a few bounces their way, too. Like facing backup QBs in 3 of their last 4 games and still winning two of those by a combined 7 points AT HOME!

What we saw yesterday is what I expect the Broncos defense to be the rest of the way. They made some mistakes, but with Woodyard and Miller in at the same time we finally saw what they are capable of. The Redskins rolled up 45 points last week and the defense held them to 14. The best is still ahead with this unit, too.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say the bigger part than Miller showing up would be that Woodyard was back in the lineup. I honestly don't think people realize how important he is to this defense not only his skills as a player, but his leadership and instincts are off the charts for this defense. From what I understand Del Rio will be telling him things clear up until the snap trying to explain where he thinks the ball is going to go and Woodyard is great at seeing the field just like Del Rio does.

This defense finally looked like what it was last year in getting pressure and forcing turnovers. They got off the field on 3rd down and looked like a group that people do not want to mess with the rest of the year. If we can get Champ back before the playoffs then we should be set on the defensive side of the ball to continue to dominate.

Not mentioning Woodyard's return in the OP was an oversight. He has been overlooked too much for too long. Really a good player who played a very good game yesterday.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And in reality it should have been 10 (stupid offsides on the field goal try)

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And in reality it should have been 10 (stupid offsides on the field goal try)

10 with one touchdown coming on a very short field after the Manning fumble. All told it was a great performance and I am looking forward to seeing what they do moving ahead. Half the remaining opponents won't break 20 on the scoreboard. I dint think anyone is breaking 30.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10 with one touchdown coming on a very short field after the Manning fumble. All told it was a great performance and I am looking forward to seeing what they do moving ahead. Half the remaining opponents won't break 20 on the scoreboard. I dint think anyone is breaking 30.

Sounds like a promising recipe for success.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well considering our lowest point total this year is 33 and that was with a ton of turnovers and stupid penalties I would say that bodes well for the Broncos finishing strong! Wouldn't mind a clean sweep of the Chiefs in this 2nd half.

MrDoc420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody else notice what a beast Knighton has been the last 3-4 weeks? He was in the backfield all day against WSH, and he blew up several plays against the Colts and Jags too.

Dude has become a top 5 DT IMO. His pimp toss of Helu almost seemed wrong to me. Super quick for as huge as he is too.

MrDoc420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well considering our lowest point total this year is 33 and that was with a ton of turnovers and stupid penalties I would say that bodes well for the Broncos finishing strong! Wouldn't mind a clean sweep of the Chiefs in this 2nd half.

This. :agree:

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think that pretty much everyone, even KC homers, suspects that KC's "perfection" is at least somewhat an artifact of its unusually soft schedule. I don't know if we will beat them twice, but I would certainly love to see that happen. I feel much more certain that for the Broncos to accomplish their goals this year we have to have a better team than the Chefs. While I'm confident that we are in fact better than them, more defensive play like we saw yesterday will only reinforce that.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody else notice what a beast Knighton has been the last 3-4 weeks? He was in the backfield all day against WSH, and he blew up several plays against the Colts and Jags too.

Dude has become a top 5 DT IMO. His pimp toss of Helu almost seemed wrong to me. Super quick for as huge as he is too.

Good point, doc. Knighton has played very well, as have Unrein and Jackson. Vickerson, who I really like, needs to get his emotions in check, though!

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As good as Knighton has been Vickerson has been hurting this team big time recently. I'm hoping this bye week is not only good for helping heal physically but also to help them get over being so emotionally drained as well. Vickerson last year was one of my favorite guys on the team but this year seems to keep throwing tantrums on the field that have now resulted in I think something like 70 yards in penalties in two games.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As good as Knighton has been Vickerson has been hurting this team big time recently. I'm hoping this bye week is not only good for helping heal physically but also to help them get over being so emotionally drained as well. Vickerson last year was one of my favorite guys on the team but this year seems to keep throwing tantrums on the field that have now resulted in I think something like 70 yards in penalties in two games.

The guy has been acting like a complete idiot the last two weeks. Time for him to grow up, and until he does, he should join Hillman on the bench.

I too was encouraged by the defensive performance yesterday, but what I found really odd was how our run defense really struggled. And despite running the ball well all day, Shanahan really went away from the run in the third quarter, even when the Redskins were still ahead. I don't understand that.

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defense had easily its best game of the year and I expect it to get better. Lets also remember though this isnt the same RG3 as last year. Woodyard is the key to the Broncoss success on defense and also getting a solid pass rush like yesterdays game. I agree the Chiefs soft schedule is a big reason the Chiefs are 8-0 and there defense that leads the NFL in sacks but Denver's schedule besides the Colts is nothing to brag about as well. Denver will be tested with many road games coming up. I expect the Broncos and Chiefs to split this year.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guy has been acting like a complete idiot the last two weeks. Time for him to grow up, and until he does, he should join Hillman on the bench.

I too was encouraged by the defensive performance yesterday, but what I found really odd was how our run defense really struggled. And despite running the ball well all day, Shanahan really went away from the run in the third quarter, even when the Redskins were still ahead. I don't understand that.

You look at it, Washington had only one good run in the 2nd half, but after that Morris had 3 carries for 6 yards on the following Washington possession (After they went up 21-7). So they didn't quite give it up until after that possession. Denver then tied the score. By then, Manning had proven he'd solved the Washington defense, so maybe Shanny thought they needed to air it out to keep up?:noidea:

In the end, we kept a pretty good rushing offense well under their per/game average. I'll take it.