• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Empire league startup: type of league

What type of league?

• Total voters

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,634.84
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm assuming live draft but not sure that's been decided
hasnt been discussed yet still working format and rules:suds:

R we doing this on fantrax? If so it allows u to change draft format in the middle of the draft
in other words u can change from slow to 90 sec at any time during the draft :suds:

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK... THE WINNER IS H2H CATEGORIES...

Now on to the discussion on WHAT categories...

there wont be a poll yet... as there is TOO much to discuss first...

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK... THE WINNER IS H2H CATEGORIES...

Now on to the discussion on WHAT categories...

there wont be a poll yet... as there is TOO much to discuss first...

First... I will not make a big deal out of what is/isn't chosen. I'm actually intrigued by The milkian way.

to throw my pitch.... (bolded are negative stats)

AVG - BB - HR - RBI - R - SB - 2B/3B - K - CS

ERA - WHIP - W - QS - K - S - H - L - HR

You could say to combine AVG and BB (OBP), and S+H... but after thinking about S+H, I think it drastically devalues "closers". I used to be an OBP guy... even as late as yesterday, but the same thing came to mind when looking at the difference. I think there should be a difference between a .230 hitter and a .260 hitter, but if there BB% equals out their OBP, then it also devalues mid-to-late tier hitters.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First... I will not make a big deal out of what is/isn't chosen. I'm actually intrigued by The milkian way.

You could say to combine AVG and BB (OBP), and S+H... but after thinking about S+H, I think it drastically devalues "closers". I used to be an OBP guy... even as late as yesterday, but the same thing came to mind when looking at the difference. I think there should be a difference between a .230 hitter and a .260 hitter, but if there BB% equals out their OBP, then it also devalues mid-to-late tier hitters.

Two things I see here, the rest I do not have any problems with.

1 I prefer saves plus holds as 1 cat.

2 Just an idea, but GIDP instead of caught stealing.

jwolt92

The voice of fuckin reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 68,125.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two things I see here, the rest I do not have any problems with.

1 I prefer saves plus holds as 1 cat.

2 Just an idea, but GIDP instead of caught stealing.

I agree with both of his points.

And looking at ESPN (If it's on ESPN) I don't think you can do a 2B/3B category, just two separate ones.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with both of his points.

And looking at ESPN (If it's on ESPN) I don't think you can do a 2B/3B category, just two separate ones.

Most of the ones we do are on Fantrax which gives us more flexibility in what you can do.

jwolt92

Hoopla Cash
$ 68,125.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of the ones we do are on Fantrax which gives us more flexibility in what you can do.

If it does go to Fantrax it'll be just my second league there and the first one lasted less than 2 weeks into the season lol

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also am a fan of K/9, but that's usually not a fan favorite

I can see why... and i agree... But i am playing around with what we CAN do before i throw out the options...

I am actually thinking of separating WHIP to 2 stats Walks and Hits... and then with that i would prefer K over k/9...

jwolt92

Hoopla Cash
$ 68,125.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see why... and i agree... But i am playing around with what we CAN do before i throw out the options...

I am actually thinking of separating WHIP to 2 stats Walks and Hits... and then with that i would prefer K over k/9...

Well if we are just playing around with what we CAN do, I propose K/9. It adds some value to the relievers over starters, which can be good and bad since the great relievers can help in K/9, ERA, and S/HD

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if we are just playing around with what we CAN do, I propose K/9. It adds some value to the relievers over starters, which can be good and bad since the great relievers can help in K/9, ERA, and S/HD

what i was saying is if we separate WHIP into Walks and hits, there would be so many categories that would help RP out due to negative quantity stats... SOs is a positive quantity stat.... we would need to keep some to keep SP important...

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like this as a starting point...

we can't use 2B+3B as that is a premium category... But we can give weight to the 2 categories... and i kind of like giving 2B and 3B the same weight... Yes doubles happen so much more, but triples are a speed category(MOSTLY), i like giving that type of player more credit...

This is where i am now

offense-8 categories including 4 half categories
AVG- BB-HR-R-SB-2B(.5)-3B(.5)- K- DP(.5)-CS(.5)

Pitching- 8 categories with 2 half categories

ERA- Hits- BB- QS- W(.5)- L(.5)- S+H- K-HR

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

we can't use 2B+3B as that is a premium category... But we can give weight to the 2 categories... and i kind of like giving 2B and 3B the same weight... Yes doubles happen so much more, but triples are a speed category(MOSTLY), i like giving that type of player more credit...

This is where i am now

You know my feelings on HRs for pitchers, but since I like everything else I am good with the cats you have.

Good job Milk. I even have you cake. But to cook it, I turned a pineapple upside down and covered it with icing.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know my feelings on HRs for pitchers, but since I like everything else I am good with the cats you have.

Good job Milk. I even have you cake. But to cook it, I turned a pineapple upside down and covered it with icing.

still going to of course listen to other ideas before we vote...

Pitching IMO is very hard to find the right scoring, not sure if this skews the advantage to RP too much...

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
still going to of course listen to other ideas before we vote...

Pitching IMO is very hard to find the right scoring, not sure if this skews the advantage to RP too much...

If we don't have minimum IP requirements, it most definitely is skewed too much towards relievers. If you didn't draft any starters, you would be guaranteed 4.5 of the 8 pitching points every week (BB H S+H HR L) and very strong chance to take ERA most weeks as well, not to mention the offense you could put together without worrying about drafting any starting pitching.

Obviously, putting a minimum innings limit would make owners play more balanced. Also, we could handle it with designated roster spots. ie 4 starters, 2 relievers, and 3 generic pitcher spots, or something similar to prevent owners from going relievers.

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is where i am now

I really am not feeling the offensive categories very much. I personally hate playing counting categories that have so few totals especially when divided up into 26 weeks. Crawford, Owings, and Hernandez tied for the league lead in triples last year with 11. If you had all three of them on your team, you would average just over one triple a week. Douple plays is the same way. Those two half categories are going to end up in ties so frequently due to the low frequency of events. If triples is supposed to somehow give an edge to speed guys, why have that intended edge taken away by having CS? If an owner builds a team of mashers with no speedsters, the team with the speedsters will win SB, and possibly 3B, but the 1/2 point for 3B will be given right back with CS so in essence you end up with the exact same spot as just going with standard categories and not trying to come up with clever ways to make speedsters more valuable then they really are.

I would get rid of all the offensive .5 categories and add RBI's back in. Not sure why you don't like that one? I understand some people think power hitters are too heavily favored in fantasy baseball and they are, but in real life baseball, the guys hitting the HR's and driving in the runs are making a hell of a lot more money than the Billy Hamiltons of the world for a reason... ;)

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,634.84
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is where i am now

Dont like 3b not enough of them or CS hurts your speedster

As for pitching Id do away with L and HR and add IP to make it more balanced
4 for RP (era/h/bb/h+s) and 4 for SP ( qs/k/w/ip):suds:

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3B as a stand alone doesn't work very well as people have mentioned. (makes a nice tie breaker though)

IP is quite possibly the worst category you can have, imo

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dont like 3b not enough of them or CS hurts your speedster

As for pitching Id do away with L and HR and add IP to make it more balanced
4 for RP (era/h/bb/h+s) and 4 for SP ( qs/k/w/ip):suds:

OK... changing CS to SB% would solve that problem IMO...

Still trying to figure out the best alternative to triples... i like it, but i can definitely see why people would be against it as it is such a rare stat... and you may win that category 1-0...