• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Emanuel Steward... The Great Trainer He Is

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exclusive Interview: Emanuel Steward On What Made Him The Great Trainer He Is

“I’ve also learnt that you cannot treat each guy the same. All boxers are different. You have to get to know each guy and his mental makeup. You can’t take one fighting style and use it with every guy. And you can’t take one style and try to make it successful against each opponent your guy fights. As a trainer, you have to study each opponent’s style and work with your guy on what he needs to do to overcome him. As a broadcaster and analyst (On HBO), I pick things up watching the fights. And Larry Merchant has said some interesting things that I’ve picked up on. For example, he told me that tall guys don’t need to use their jab aggressively; they can be more relaxed with it and dominate that way. Things like that are interesting."

“Another important thing is, you must realise that amateur and pro boxing are totally different - they are two different levels of boxing. Boxing is all about levels. There are things a pro can do that an amateur can’t do."

“And finally hard work. If a guy isn’t prepared to put in the hard work, if he isn’t dedicated, then he’s wasting your time as well as his own time.”