• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Elways Offers Jackson 5 Years $50M

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CBS is reporting on CBS.com. They say Malik wants 5 years $75M.

You guys know more about how the Broncos are against the cap than I do.

The Denver Broncos have reportedly made their first offer of this offseason's free agent period. The Denver Post reported on Tuesday evening that the Broncos have made a long-term offer to defensive end Malik Jackson worth north of $10 million per year.

The parameters of the current offer make sense based on comparables.

San Diego's Corey Liuget signed a five-year, $51.5 million contract extension with $30.4 million guaranteed last June. And the Pittsburgh Steelers' Cam Heyward agreed to a six-year, $59.2 million contract on the eve of training camp a year ago, taking less in guaranteed money ($15 million), but a higher signing bonus than Liuget ($12 million compared to $7.5 million).

Mile High Sports' Eric Goodman first reported Tuesday an offer of "five-year, $50-million-ish," saying Jackson is seeking $75 million.

Jackson, 26, was a fifth-round pick of the Broncos in 2012 and is coming off an excellent season -- his first as a full-time starter -- and terrific playoff run. With 5.5 sacks and 60 total quarterback pressures (sacks + hits + hurries), Jackson ranked ninth in Pro Football Focus' 3-4 defensive end grades and finished sixth among the same group of players in Pro-Football-Reference's Approximate Value. He's about to head into his physical prime (typically age 27-29), so he should be able to maintain a high level of play over at least the next few seasons. Along with fellow defensive end Derek Wolfe and linebackers Von Miller and DeMarcus Ware, he was part of the core of one of the NFL's best pass rushes this past season.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. I've hoped that we could keep Jackson, but I am surprised that Elway is prepared to pay him that much.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. I've hoped that we could keep Jackson, but I am surprised that Elway is prepared to pay him that much.

5-year/$50 million sounds about right. It is just a bit more than what Wolfe is making and to me stats wise Wolfe and Jackson actually are pretty close. I would be surprised if Elway went much more than 5-year/$55 million though. We have seen so far that while Elway is willing to pay players what he thinks they are worth he is not willing to go above that. He doesn't insult players with low ball offers which is why he doesn't always even offer a contract as he doesn't want to insult the player like Decker, Franklin, and others. Heck from what I understand the one time they actually did it ended up with that player blasting them on twitter in Terrance Knighton.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see that offer as a PR move by the Broncos. Shows fans the team is willing to pay him a fair price. But if I was his agent, I'd slap his hand if he considered picking up a pen to sign it. He's going to get $3-4 MM more a year and over three or four years that is huge.

I'm thrilled we got such great play from a fifth rounder and will get a great comp pick for losing him. I wish Malik nothing but the best if he signs with Jax or the Giants. Now if he signs with the Raiders....

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see that offer as a PR move by the Broncos. Shows fans the team is willing to pay him a fair price. But if I was his agent, I'd slap his hand if he considered picking up a pen to sign it. He's going to get $3-4 MM more a year and over three or four years that is huge.

I'm thrilled we got such great play from a fifth rounder and will get a great comp pick for losing him. I wish Malik nothing but the best if he signs with Jax or the Giants. Now if he signs with the Raiders....

I agree. This is where fans have to remember these guys don't have the same loyalty that we as fans have. The guy was a 5th round pick so not like he made big time money so far in the NFL and is seeing right after a Super Bowl year the chance to make maybe an extra $15-20 million more with another team than the Broncos. Can't blame him for going for the big pay day. These guys only have a short window to make what they can for them and their family. As long as he stays out of the division I say good luck except when you play the Broncos. IF he goes to the Raiders well he is dead to me. I guess could view it as he is being overpaid for his talents by a rival weakening them cap wise. Still it is the Raiders so he is dead to me.

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. This is where fans have to remember these guys don't have the same loyalty that we as fans have. The guy was a 5th round pick so not like he made big time money so far in the NFL and is seeing right after a Super Bowl year the chance to make maybe an extra $15-20 million more with another team than the Broncos. Can't blame him for going for the big pay day. These guys only have a short window to make what they can for them and their family. As long as he stays out of the division I say good luck except when you play the Broncos. IF he goes to the Raiders well he is dead to me. I guess could view it as he is being overpaid for his talents by a rival weakening them cap wise. Still it is the Raiders so he is dead to me.

Agreed 100%. Can't blame the guy for getting what he thinks he is worth. If he does leave there will be no hard feelings from me at all. He helped lead Denver to one of the best defenses in NFL history in my opinion. Can't hate on that. Peace.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 2nd contract is the motherlode for guys like Malik
He's won a super bowl and now he can go to a crappy team with tons of cap space

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree, the only reason most of the players play for your team is A. That's who aquired their rights in the draft, or B. that's who gave them the best offer. He probably spent 22 years of his life being a fan of a team that ISN'T the Broncos.

And he should go for the open market. Has his SB, his value is at the highest right now AND he's up for free agency with a team that can't really use the franchise tag on him (need to hold for Von/Brock negotiations).

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
F him..

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im hearing Malik wants $12 MM a year. Broncos currently at $10MM. Both Ewlay and group are staying at same hotel as Malik's agent. Sounds promising.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say cut cord .................................................................... but what do I know ...

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say cut cord .................................................................... but what do I know ...

Why. Short of getting a franchise QB that is playing on a rookie contract, you have to pay to stay competitive. It's really about continuing to draft well and getting the most out of your FA signing. Denver has been really good at getting production form their FA signings.

The best offseason would be Malik, Brock and Von signed and call the FA offseason a success. If you could get a stud G to sign here that's a bonus.

3rd round G Gabe Jackson in Oakland is a stud in waiting. I like the prospect of getting more immediate help for the Oline in the draft.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus each team got an extra $1.5 MM in salary cap this year. Will probably go into the slush fund the team keeps during the season.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like the two sides are closer than first reported. That usually means that they can agree on the per year basis but it comes down to guarantees. People have to remember that just because a contract says the average per year is say $15 million doesn't mean the actual contract pays them that much. It could be actually a 3-year/$30 million contract with the final 2-years having huge cap hits that the player would never see anyway.

I'm actually very encouraged by all that I am hearing about contracts. It does sound like they are further along with Malik and Von than they are with Osweiler at this point.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like the two sides are closer than first reported. That usually means that they can agree on the per year basis but it comes down to guarantees. People have to remember that just because a contract says the average per year is say $15 million doesn't mean the actual contract pays them that much. It could be actually a 3-year/$30 million contract with the final 2-years having huge cap hits that the player would never see anyway.

I'm actually very encouraged by all that I am hearing about contracts. It does sound like they are further along with Malik and Von than they are with Osweiler at this point.

Any word on the middle linebackers... I think those two (Marshall/Trevaithan) will be the tough ones. Especially if they want some money to try and maintain their line at last years level (or upgrade which they really need).

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any word on the middle linebackers... I think those two (Marshall/Trevaithan) will be the tough ones. Especially if they want some money to try and maintain their line at last years level (or upgrade which they really need).

Marshall is a RFA so he is not going anywhere. They will slap a 1st or 2nd round tender on him and most likely no team tries to beat that. Trevathan though is the guy that most likely is gone unless either Malik or Osweiler price themselves way out of Denver's reach and they decide to try and keep Trevathan. From what I understand the coaches are very high on Todd Davis stepping in for Trevathan this next year. I'm a little leery about that as I don't think he is as good in coverage and to me it is almost more important to find coverage linebackers in today's NFL than run stoppers.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love 2nd round LBers. There seems to be as many all pros drafted in the 2nd round as the 1st round in terms of IBlers.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marshall is a RFA so he is not going anywhere. They will slap a 1st or 2nd round tender on him and most likely no team tries to beat that. Trevathan though is the guy that most likely is gone unless either Malik or Osweiler price themselves way out of Denver's reach and they decide to try and keep Trevathan. From what I understand the coaches are very high on Todd Davis stepping in for Trevathan this next year. I'm a little leery about that as I don't think he is as good in coverage and to me it is almost more important to find coverage linebackers in today's NFL than run stoppers.

I forgot that... So tender Marshall first and Anderson with a 2nd and that's 6 mil spent.

And you are right on the coverage bit. Wow those guys were covering 9 routes on WR's in the playoffs, it was insane how many times they were 30 yards from the LOS in coverage...

It will be neat to see how things turn out. Keep the D at all costs, or get some depth at WR, keep the backs and fix the O-line... Or a bit of both...

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot that... So tender Marshall first and Anderson with a 2nd and that's 6 mil spent.

And you are right on the coverage bit. Wow those guys were covering 9 routes on WR's in the playoffs, it was insane how many times they were 30 yards from the LOS in coverage...

It will be neat to see how things turn out. Keep the D at all costs, or get some depth at WR, keep the backs and fix the O-line... Or a bit of both...

The guy I really like as Trevathan's replacement is Corey Nelson. The Broncos actually used him in coverage quite a bit. He is a bit small so needs to add some weight this off season but he seems like a guy I did notice being in on some plays and looking pretty good.