• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Elliotte Friedman 31 thoughts

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like we got in the weeds over a simple observation..

I think Friedman's point was you need centers with talent. Money typically reflects talent, that's the only reason that portion is in there.

And that is a genius observation by Elliotte. Here I thought Bozak was leading the Leafs to the promised land.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, but I can just as easily say "Every team in the final four last season had a goalie making $6 million, while Ottawa, Toronto, Calgary, Buffalo, the Islanders and Edmonton didn't pay their goalies more than $3.5 million and missed the playoffs. I'm not sure this is a coincidence - look at the race for goalies since the Cup was awarded."

Does it mean squat? No. Is it a new trend that teams are looking for elite centres and goaltenders? No.

That's actually not correct. Corey Crawford was on an expiring deal in 2013-14 paying him an average annual salary of $2.6 million dollars. His new deal, which kicks in this season, now pays him an AAV of $6 million.

Getting back to your overall point, though.. you have to be strong down the middle if you want to compete in the salary cap era of the NHL. That means at least one quality center, and quality a goalie.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's actually not correct. Corey Crawford was on an expiring deal in 2013-14 paying him an average annual salary of $2.6 million dollars. His new deal, which kicks in this season, now pays him an AAV of $6 million.

Getting back to your overall point, though.. you have to be strong down the middle if you want to compete in the salary cap era of the NHL. That means at least one quality center, and quality a goalie.

Isn't that the same as Friedge saying the Rangers are the only team without a $6m+ centre to have made the playoffs last season without mentioning Richards?

Point stands, dumb way to say teams need talent up the middle.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't that the same as Friedge saying the Rangers are the only team without a $6m+ centre to have made the playoffs last season without mentioning Richards?

Point stands, dumb way to say teams need talent up the middle.

I really don't see why it's a dumb way of saying you need talent up the middle. I mean, it's true! If you don't have a quality player at the 1C, there's a strong likelihood that a team without that position probably won't be a contender.

Like I said before, this wasn't an end all be all situation Friedman was making here. It was just a financial observation that illustrates how important it is to have strength down the middle for any NHL team if they want to contend.

And no, I don't think it's the same thing as saying the Rangers were the only team to qualify for the post-season without a center making 5 million aav, because the Rags did have that base covered. Chicago didn't have a goalie making 6 million last season, because Crawford was on an expiring deal paying him $2.6 million.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't see why it's a dumb way of saying you need talent up the middle. I mean, it's true! If you don't have a quality player at the 1C, there's a strong likelihood that a team without that position probably won't be a contender.

Like I said before, this wasn't an end all be all situation Friedman was making here. It was just a financial observation that illustrates how important it is to have strength down the middle for any NHL team if they want to contend.

And no, I don't think it's the same thing as saying the Rangers were the only team to qualify for the post-season without a center making 5 million aav, because the Rags did have that base covered. Chicago didn't have a goalie making 6 million last season, because Crawford was on an expiring deal paying him $2.6 million.

Yes, but his contract was already signed. And, anyway, you're kind of just proving my point that it's a nonsense metric to insinuate annual salary at a position breeds success.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, but his contract was already signed. And, anyway, you're kind of just proving my point that it's a nonsense metric to insinuate annual salary at a position breeds success.

Eh, believe what you want. My opinion.. it isn't proving your point anymore than mine because we essentially agree that if you want to contend, you either need a center that is damn good but making a small salary because he's on an entry level deal, or you need a center making some coin because he got paid because he's damn good.

I feel like you are arguing something for the sake of arguing. Either that, or you're pissed off that Friedge included the Leafs in this discussion and the truth hurts, perhaps?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh, believe what you want. My opinion.. it isn't proving your point anymore than mine because we essentially agree that if you want to contend, you either need a center that is damn good but making a small salary because he's on an entry level deal, or you need a center making some coin because he got paid because he's damn good.

I feel like you are arguing something for the sake of arguing. Either that, or you're pissed off that Friedge included the Leafs in this discussion and the truth hurts, perhaps?

See comment 241.

As for the rest, i'm not arguing anything. I'm stating it was a dumb "thought", something I expect from a Damien Cox or Steve Simmons, not Friedge. Teams need good centres, so teams went after centres this offseason. Whoda thunk it!

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See comment 241.

As for the rest, i'm not arguing anything. I'm stating it was a dumb "thought", something I expect from a Damien Cox or Steve Simmons, not Friedge. Teams need good centres, so teams went after centres this offseason. Whoda thunk it!

I agree that it's a fairly obvious thought. As far as it being a dumb thought, that I don't agree with. Friedman is probably my favo(u)rite hockey writer, so perhaps I'm a bit biased, but I haven't come across much of any of his work that I think, boy, that's really dumb. He makes a valid point and supports it with financial evidence.

Is it obvious? Sure. Is it better than reading some baseless bs from a guy like Cox or Eklund? I think so.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pittsburgh has two number 1 centres, so I think they should send one of them to Calgary - I'll even let the Penguins chose which one they want to part with (I'm just that kind of guy).

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pittsburgh has two number 1 centres, so I think they should send one of them to Calgary - I'll even let the Penguins chose which one they want to part with (I'm just that kind of guy).

If JR said it was up to you, which one do ya want, Dash? The enigmatic and 'lazy' Russian, or the talented, but brain scrambled Canadian.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If JR said it was up to you, which one do ya want, Dash? The enigmatic and 'lazy' Russian, or the talented, but brain scrambled Canadian.

I gotta go with the talented, but brain scrambled Canadian.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotta go with the talented, but brain scrambled Canadian.

Wait till next season to make the trade. As we discussed before, the Flames might be in on the McDavid sweepstakes, so after Burke takes him, we can swap one most hyped Canadian center for another most hyped Canadian center. :yahoo:

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait till next season to make the trade. As we discussed before, the Flames might be in on the McDavid sweepstakes, so after Burke takes him, we can swap one most hyped Canadian center for another most hyped Canadian center. :yahoo:

Well, Burkie loves those American guys, don't be surprised if the Flames take Jack Eichel if he is available...

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was an old observation, but relevant

Draglikepull @draglikepull · Apr 19
All the good teams in the league (BOS, CHI, LAK, SJS, STL, PIT, etc.) are strong down the middle. Not all are strong in net.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that it's a fairly obvious thought. As far as it being a dumb thought, that I don't agree with. Friedman is probably my favo(u)rite hockey writer, so perhaps I'm a bit biased, but I haven't come across much of any of his work that I think, boy, that's really dumb. He makes a valid point and supports it with financial evidence.

Is it obvious? Sure. Is it better than reading some baseless bs from a guy like Cox or Eklund? I think so.

We had a basic policy at the old site of not mentioned that guy whose name he stole from a certain Philadelphia team's goaltender. His shit is beyond baseless.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We had a basic policy at the old site of not mentioned that guy whose name he stole from a certain Philadelphia team's goaltender. His shit is beyond baseless.

Lol, notice how he doesn't have a thread dedicated to his work, here? At least, I don't think he does...

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bob Froese?

(the guy you're talking about was a centre)

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol, notice how he doesn't have a thread dedicated to his work, here? At least, I don't think he does...

The bolded is not how you do things if you want people (idiots) to listen to you. This is how it should have been written.

Key sources around SportsHoopla are telling me that there is no thread dedicated to that useless shitbag!! (E4)

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bolded is not how you do things if you want people (idiots) to listen to you. This is how it should have been written.

Key sources around SportsHoopla are telling me that there is no thread dedicated to that useless shitbag!! (E4)

Lol, if people (idiots) are reading hockeybuzz for actual information, well, may God have mercy on them.