• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Elf (2003)

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not big on Will Ferrell but I will say this.

He's better than Ben Stiller.

ben-stiller-is-the-new-dumbo-o.gif

Ben's from comedy royalty tho....his Dad and Mom are funny people yo.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never seen but I just assume it is as over-rated as the rest of his movies, so I agree with the OP.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hate that fucking movie and my wife insist on watching every year. I'm another one of those old farts that has never found his "humor" very funny.

bigred472

theoldestidiotonthisboard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
y'all are some ornery old farts?

You do realize that his movies aren't going for the Oscar, right?

I didn't realize that hipsters had opinions on comedians?? Who knew?
-------
Not really old fart mentality. But some of the SNL alums have good comic insticts and others don't. Ferrell & Sandler just have never been consistantly funny in films. They were good at sketch comedy but IMO haven't held their own in movies like Eddie Murphey/John Belushi/Chevy Chase/Bill Murray/Phil Hartman/John Candy/Dennis Miller--the list is endless from SNL alone and yes not all I've listed have done well in movies, but these two just don't cut it for me.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-------
Not really old fart mentality. But some of the SNL alums have good comic insticts and others don't. Ferrell & Sandler just have never been consistantly funny in films. They were good at sketch comedy but IMO haven't held their own in movies like Eddie Murphey/John Belushi/Chevy Chase/Bill Murray/Phil Hartman/John Candy/Dennis Miller--the list is endless from SNL alone and yes not all I've listed have done well in movies, but these two just don't cut it for me.

Nitpicking a little but I don't believe that Candy was ever an SNL cast member

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That movie makes me want to punch someone in the face

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a huge movie guy..they just don't do it for me. If it's a serious movie, it has to be about a subject I am interested in, but I still struggle to take it seriously.

Having said that...I love a movie that I don't have to pay too close attention to, and can just smoke a doob and laugh.

I am not some super fan er nothing, but I like Ferrell.

Anchorman
Old School
Semi Pro
Talladega Nights
Step Brothers

Thought the above were all funny.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Elf.

Kids love Elf.

Very fun Christmas movie.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elf is a fun movie, we watch it every year.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked it okay. Zooey Deschanel made it more watchable. Although I'm not a fan of her singing.

She sings?

I'm not a huge movie guy..they just don't do it for me. If it's a serious movie, it has to be about a subject I am interested in, but I still struggle to take it seriously.

Having said that...I love a movie that I don't have to pay too close attention to, and can just smoke a doob and laugh.

I am not some super fan er nothing, but I like Ferrell.

Anchorman
Old School
Semi Pro
Talladega Nights
Step Brothers

Thought the above were all funny.

All those I enjoyed. It was a little odd but The Campaign was another I enjoyed.'He has some misses too, but overall I'm a fan. Just don't take him seriously. He clearly doesn't.

On the actual topic, I never viewed elf as particularly popular. Yeah, it comes on a few times on some of the networks that don't seem to put much budget into Christmas, but it's just never seemed to be treated as more than filler IMO. How many legitimate Christmas comedies are there to fill space with? It fits that bill and that's why it's played.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I think some of Will Ferrel's movies are funny. But this movie is on at Christmas time like its "A Christmas Carol" or "A Christmas Story", or "The Grinch That Stole Christmas". It's not that good at all. It doesn't deserve anywhere near such legendary status.

Now I have only seen it once, and I used to smoke a lot of weed back then, but I remember only maybe one scene in that movie where he fought a midget, where I laughed.

I agree honestly and I say the same thing about A Christmas Story as well. Don't see the hype in either movie.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched Elf again yesterday. As epic as ever.