• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ed Reed To Be Released

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Y! SPORTS

Ed Reed no longer had a use to the Houston Texans after he said he didn't like the way they were going about business.

The team will release Reed, per John McClain of the Houston Chronicle, after the All Pro safety, who had been benched from the starting lineup, openly questioned the Texans' coaches on Sunday and backed up his statement on Monday.

Reed signed a three-year, $15 million deal with the Texans, viewed as a final piece to the puzzle as the team sought a run at the Super Bowl. But everything has fallen apart: Reed struggled to get healthy to start the season, didn't play well once he was ready, was benched and then said the Texans were "outcoached and outplayed" after playing a mere 12 snaps in Sunday's 27-24 loss to the Arizona Cardinals.

On Monday, Reed said he "spoke the truth." He was upset about his benching from a few weeks ago.

It was the Texans' seventh straight loss, which has dealt a serious blow to their playoff chances. Now the Texans have decided to bite the bullet and part ways.

It's possible that Reed could return to the Baltimore Ravens to round out his career, but don't rule out another destination such as the New England Patriots, who could need safety depth if Steve Gregory is out for a while. Bill Belichick long has been an admirer of Reed's play. But if Reed is not done in the NFL, don't rule out the New York Jets and Rex Ryan, his former defensive coordinator, bringing him in for a visit.

According to a league source, the Texans are considering replacing Reed on the roster with safety Jawanza Starling, who is on the New York Giants' practice squad.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Y! SPORTS

Ed Reed no longer had a use to the Houston Texans after he said he didn't like the way they were going about business.

The team will release Reed, per John McClain of the Houston Chronicle, after the All Pro safety, who had been benched from the starting lineup, openly questioned the Texans' coaches on Sunday and backed up his statement on Monday.

Reed signed a three-year, $15 million deal with the Texans, viewed as a final piece to the puzzle as the team sought a run at the Super Bowl. But everything has fallen apart: Reed struggled to get healthy to start the season, didn't play well once he was ready, was benched and then said the Texans were "outcoached and outplayed" after playing a mere 12 snaps in Sunday's 27-24 loss to the Arizona Cardinals.

On Monday, Reed said he "spoke the truth." He was upset about his benching from a few weeks ago.

It was the Texans' seventh straight loss, which has dealt a serious blow to their playoff chances. Now the Texans have decided to bite the bullet and part ways.

It's possible that Reed could return to the Baltimore Ravens to round out his career, but don't rule out another destination such as the New England Patriots, who could need safety depth if Steve Gregory is out for a while. Bill Belichick long has been an admirer of Reed's play. But if Reed is not done in the NFL, don't rule out the New York Jets and Rex Ryan, his former defensive coordinator, bringing him in for a visit.

According to a league source, the Texans are considering replacing Reed on the roster with safety Jawanza Starling, who is on the New York Giants' practice squad.

Chiefs could use him... anything but Kendrick Lewis.

Am I Blue Through it All?

Herald of the Apocalypse
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry the wheels are coming off Rob. I like to kid about the Texans, but we have not been big rivals long enough to develop any genuine hate.

Hell, a few more meltdowns by my Colts and the Titans could be the AFC South Champions.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry the wheels are coming off Rob. I like to kid about the Texans, but we have not been big rivals long enough to develop any genuine hate.

Hell, a few more meltdowns by my Colts and the Titans could be the AFC South Champions.

You mean the team that just lost to the Jags??? I don't think the Colts have a lot to be worried about.

Herald of the Apocalypse
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean the team that just lost to the Jags??? I don't think the Colts have a lot to be worried about.

After the Rams game, I am not sure of anything. And I still say the Jags have a lot of problems, but size and muscle certainly are not among them. When you finish playing the Jags, you will know you have been in a game--no matter how lopsided the score may be.

Bunkamania

ESPN Defector
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than Belichick squeezing a little bit more out of Reed's tank down the stretch, I don't really see him landing on any teams.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd take him on the Chargers, if for nothing else than to mentor our young strong safeties. Bolts pass defense is awful and they're dead last in takeaways. Having a ball hawk on the team would be nice, even if it's just as a player/coach.

My guess is he retires.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than Belichick squeezing a little bit more out of Reed's tank down the stretch, I don't really see him landing on any teams.

My bet is the Cowboys. They just gave Michael Huff a tryout after the Ravens released him. It would definitely be a Jerry Jones move. Nice headline.

packfancjh

Hoopla Cash
$ 403.15
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pack could use his services but TT wouldn't think about picking him up. Our safety play has been horrid

Demo-D

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, what happened to Ed Reed. I am very surprised that he did what he did, and what he did was sign a three year deal while he knew he was going to need surgery and would be out for a while after wards, sit the first few games, and then fall flat on his face when he was put in the game. It seems out of character. Did Ed just see the Texans as a payday?

I could care less about his after game comments. And I doubt the Texans brass did either. I do care that he sucked, and he did not seem to care that he was sucking. Which is really strange because I do not believe that is the kind of guy Ed is.

What the hell happened to Ed Reed?

As for the Texans, they will be fine without him. Swearinger is a stud and they needed to start him. Shilo has proven to be a slow but fruitful investment, and Manning is one of the best Safeties in the league, when not on the IR :)

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're banged up. Reed wouldn't start, though.

briz almighty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gregory hurt and hes not that special. we need more of a strong safety than free safety but i still think you could plug reed in next to mccourty and it would work. they already been playing free safety types in gregory and harmon so. adrian wilson was supposed to be our big safety but he was a bust and on IR.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wouldn't put too much into the loss to the Rams. After all, the Colts are the only teams to blemish the Seahawks and Broncos so far.

Rams are jeckyl and hyde and can, with the right full moon in the sky, beat anybody and beat them badly.

Colts will be fine in the South. It's a one team division right now. They are what is preventing the AFC South from becoming the NFC East.

Herald of the Apocalypse
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't put too much into the loss to the Rams. After all, the Colts are the only teams to blemish the Seahawks and Broncos so far.

Rams are jeckyl and hyde and can, with the right full moon in the sky, beat anybody and beat them badly.

Colts will be fine in the South. It's a one team division right now. They are what is preventing the AFC South from becoming the NFC East.

Guess we will see in a couple of days. I spend a lot more time looking at this than I probably should. Like a frightened parent, I see so much wrong with the Colts and have been quietly alluding to it all along. But also, I am very proud of what they have accomplished thus far, even though for the life of me I have no idea how they did it.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An unceremonious ending to a HOF career.

He could get away with off the wall (but most had some level of truth) comments in the BAL locker room, but apparently the Texans weren't having it.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agreed

not the end I expected for a great player like Reed\

shame

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When it's all said and done, this won't even be remembered. Most people don't remember Rod Woodson's tenure with the Ravens and he won his only Super Bowl ring with them.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When it's all said and done, this won't even be remembered. Most people don't remember Rod Woodson's tenure with the Ravens and he won his only Super Bowl ring with them.

Ah...as a Steeler fan I remember how Woodson finished up...I agree with you about Reed...I think he should've shut it down with Ray, but I would have taken the money too. His body was tapped out and when he saw the team wasn't going anywhere, I'm sure his motivation to play went with it.